Spyder Garage

Default Confused about front tire clearance

I am about to replace my original front tires, due to the previous owner neglecting alignments.
    It's a 2008 GS with original fenders. I'm looking at the General Altimax 43, 175/65r14.
    Dealer won't mount and car tire shop will not know what I'm talking about.

Will these tires fit without modifications (like the washers)?
    I'm going to then follow up with a Can Am alignment ($169 + tax), only choice I have.

Spyder Garage

Default NO PROBLEM

This size tire has been mounted on the RS since 2009, I KNOW, I HAVE....
    SAM_0451.jpg SAM_0449.jpg SAM_0450.jpg
    the WHITE wedges are there only to show that you still have clearance...
    mine are KUMHO's, but most all tires are within a few mm of each other when it comes to size, so don't fret....
    best of luck, and enjoy your SPYD3R....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No experience with that size but I have mounted 185/60/14 Generals
    on a 2012 RT and they fit.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    .... mine are KUMHO's, but most all tires are within a few mm of each other when it comes to size, so don't fret....
    I'm sorry, but that's just not true! There can be fairly significant diameter & width differences between different brands or types of tires showing the same nominal size on their sidewalls - occasionally even as much as 18mm difference!!

This most often occurs when comparing different brands of tires, because some manufacturers generally use the treadless casing size as the basis for their nominal size & then they add the tread layers; while other manufacturers may use the fully assembled tire including the tread layers as the basis for their nominal size; but it does also sometimes happen with tires supposedly the same size running different tread patterns from the same manufacturer. I certainly agree that these nominal sidewall sizes SHOULD only be applied to tires within just a few mm of each other, making it safe to use the nominal sizes shown on the sidewall when comparing tires, but I can tell you from personal & expensive experience that it is NOT!!

Sure, the nominal sizes on the sidewall are a good place to start when you are comparing tires, & those internet comparison charts & calculators come in handy to do that; but where space may be tight, it's best to compare the ACTUAL physical dimensions of the tire you want to fit against those of a tire you know will fit - doing anything else can be risky. (Most Tire Manufacturers publish the physical dimensions of each of their tires, along with load & speed ratings, etc.)

Yeah, sometimes you might get lucky just going off the nominal size, but do you really want to buy a set of tires based on the nominal size shown on the sidewall because that size matches the size of some other brand of tire that someone else used, only to find that the tire you have now paid for & fitted is maybe 10-18mm different in rolling diameter?? Is there really 18mm or 3/4 if an inch of extra space under those fenders?? Maybe it'd be smarter to check that someone else has actually fitted that particular tire size & brand/tread pattern on their same model Spyder & that it does fit, so you can then be confident that it will work for you too; or can you afford or want to have your Spyder off the road while you play around buying a set of tires & getting them fitted to your rims only to find that they just won't fit under the fenders??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: off not iff. :rolleyes:

Spyder Garage

tntherapy
    you did well to ask for feedback
    i didnt ask and as peter stated not all things are equal
    ,this is what i got stuck with....for 2103 RT 165/55/15
    i couldnt use them

Spyder Garage

There are Bridgestones and Dunlops available in the stock size. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-06-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntherapy View Post
    I am about to replace my original front tires, due to the previous owner neglecting alignments.
    It's a 2008 GS with original fenders. I'm looking at the General Altimax 43, 175/65r14.

I'm going to then follow up with a Can Am alignment ($169 + tax), only choice I have.
    Laser Alignment:http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerstn.htm
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default RT43

I put those tires on my '09 GS last summer in that same size. They fit just fine with no adjustments or spacers. I bought them from Discount Tire and they mounted them. One clue: remove the mud flaps (2 screws each) and the wheels go off and on much easier. Also this store couldn't balance them because they didn't have a small enough spindle on their balancing machine. I'm running them with no weights and no problems so far.

Get a laser alignment if you can. I had 2 different dealers align mine and it was still way out.

I put the same tire on the rear in 215/60 R15 bought at Discount also but paid a dealer to mount it. It's a good tire choice!

Spyder Garage

I've got 185/65/14 on my 2012 RS. The only clearance problem I had was the wire that is tied to the fender bracket for the fender light, got against the tire on one side and shorted out.. Repaired it and moved it to the outside of the bracket and no problems now..

Spyder Garage

I just received a set of the Yokohama Avid S Drive P175-65-14s to match my new Yokohama P205-55-14 on the rear. The 175-65s are almost identical to the OEM Kenda tires. They should be 10 mm wider but it looks more like 2mm if that. Nice tires shipped from the Tire Rack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntherapy View Post

I have put these on a 09 RS with no problem and no shimming of the fenders. I just put 2 Nexen 175/65/14 on my bike with no clearance issue at all. Just remove the lower section of the fender(mud flap) to remove and install tire easier.
    David