Spyder Garage

Default Taking the F3-S Cross Country

In April, I have decided to load my tricked out 2015 F3-S onto my Drop-Tail trike trailer and head out West. I plan to use my Honda Odyssey tow vehicle set up with a Cabella cot for about 80% of my sleeping quarters activities. I plan to camp in some State and National parks as well as other venues. I have a bunch of places where I think the F3-S is going to be a hoot.

My question is that my Drop-Tail trailer has side hook extensions but nothing up front to secure the wheels from the front. One time I did run some straps underneath the substructure but it was kind of a PITA to secure the trike. I had read at one time of people securing their Spyders to a Drop-Tail trailer and am soliciting the best way to efficiently strap this puppy down as I careen across the country in search of scenic/twisty roads for about a 3-4 week adventure. Any experiences with this particular trailer will be quite welcomed. I posted a picture of my Drop-Tail trailer with my Tri Glide on it. The front wheel chock will be gone and the Spyder's wheels will be up against the front bar of the trailer.

2017 TGU.jpg
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 03-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Someone posted about using these not too long ago.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Car...n/EM09160.html

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

but if you check with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) he has a simple solution similar to the above... and here I thought your were ryding the F3 cross country...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    but if you check with Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) he has a simple solution similar to the above... and here I thought your were ryding the F3 cross country...
    With a Harley Tri Glide Ultra, I am kind of spoiled when it comes to storage space. Additionally, last year I did a 6k mile trip on my previous Tri Glide and the road kind of beat me up with the heat and the wind that dried the hell out of my eyes. This year, I plan to drive and ryde which is of course wimpy for a guy that has 400k plus seat miles but is tired of how the road tends to beat me up. This year, my wife mentioned towing the Spyder and ryding the twisties and scenic byways in style and comfort. That sounded better than hammering along the road and spending $100/night on hotel rooms. Not to mention all of the alcohol needed each night to wind down from ryding out West at 80+mph and dodging distracted drivers

Spyder Garage

Default Eye nuts

I have done this on several Spyder models.
    Remove the lower front shock bolts turn them around and fit 10mm S/S Eye nuts with blue thread lock, great for tying down or towing.

10mm eye nut L.jpg10mm eye nut R.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    In April, I have decided to load my tricked out 2015 F3-S onto my Drop-Tail trike trailer and head out West. I plan to use my Honda Odyssey tow vehicle set up with a Cabella cot for about 80% of my sleeping quarters activities. I plan to camp in some State and National parks as well as other venues. I have a bunch of places where I think the F3-S is going to be a hoot.

My question is that my Drop-Tail trailer has side hook extensions but nothing up front to secure the wheels from the front. One time I did run some straps underneath the substructure but it was kind of a PITA to secure the trike. I had read at one time of people securing their Spyders to a Drop-Tail trailer and am soliciting the best way to efficiently strap this puppy down as I careen across the country in search of scenic/twisty roads for about a 3-4 week adventure. Any experiences with this particular trailer will be quite welcomed. I posted a picture of my Drop-Tail trailer with my Tri Glide on it. The front wheel chock will be gone and the Spyder's wheels will be up against the front bar of the trailer.

2017 TGU.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce B; 03-05-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Remove the lower front shock bolts turn them around and fit 10mm S/S Eye nuts with blue thread lock, great for tying down or towing.

Thanks for the pics and the suggestion. I had never seen that done before. I did look up the 10mm S/S Eye Nuts which I was not familiar with. I guess that you have found them sufficiently strong for the tie-down application in the past?

Spyder Garage

never thought of that. Just ordered 2.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

Wow, I must say that is some very smart, out of the box thinking. I might have to look into this if I ever tow my spyder. Thanks for the suggestion and picture.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Bob they are more than strong enough you will have no worry about them braking they are as strong or stronger than the 10mm bolt itself .

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Thanks for the pics and the suggestion. I had never seen that done before. I did look up the 10mm S/S Eye Nuts which I was not familiar with. I guess that you have found them sufficiently strong for the tie-down application in the past?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Capt. Bob, if your travels take you through Las Vegas give me a shout
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Your PM - additional info (maybe you have already seen this!)

Bob,

Here's some more details with some pictures if that helps you secure your Spyder F3-S to the droptail trailer.....the second picture (portrait format) shows the tie downs on the trailer...maybe you can enlarge to show more detail of the tie downs...

You may have already seen this, but thought I would share again.

Jim

From an earlier post of mine:

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked.

From an earlier post of mine:
    We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02
    Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jim or Capt Bob - Using this trailer to haul an F3 Spyder, does it need electric brakes? Are they available on this trailer?
    My tow vehicle is a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Thanks.
    Last edited by GaryTheBadger; 03-14-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Jim or Capt Bob - Using this trailer to haul an F3 Spyder, does it need electric brakes? Are they available on this trailer?
    My tow vehicle is a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Thanks.
    Gary,
    The trailer does not need electric brakes at all. It is really very short-coupled. I tow my DropTail with a 2015 Honda Odyssey and it is more than adequate for my 1200 pound Harley Tri Glide as well as my F3S Spyder.
    Bob