Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Knock off or BRP hitch ?

Just picked up a new Freedom Trailer !! $2300 ... now should I get a BRP Hitch n wiring or a knock off ? Give me ur thoughts please !!

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

There are now quite a few out there and all seem to work well. I think canamspyderaccesories.com/SpyderTVcom has a great deal on hitches with the wiring. Tell Pierre Gene sent you....it is a choice but the price would be the main thing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the new addition!
    Do yourself a favor, and get the hitch that was designed for the bike: BRP's!
    Ir's a little bit more money, but a whole lot more hitch.
    of the trailer?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie312001 View Post
    Just picked up a new Freedom Trailer !! $2300 ... now should I get a BRP Hitch n wiring or a knock off ? Give me ur thoughts please !!
    There are almost as many threads here about hitches as oil and tires. Put hitch in the search box and read until your brain goes fuzzy!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if it's a big issue for you or not...
    Bolting on the BRP hitch will maintain your vehicle's warranty.
    (I don't know if that's a thinly-veiled threat or not... but it's worth considering!)

Spyder Garage

I too am wonder about the best hitch and wiring for a hitch. I have Bushtec trailer, from what i understand is that the BRP hitch doesn't do well with the different bushtec hitch. And what about the wiring? I also read that BPR wiring doesn't like the set up for bushtec? So looking for recommendations? And what is the difference between a hitch that goes through the axle or attaches to the frame?
    Thanks
    Teri
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUSHTEC HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by The Bee!! View Post
    I too am wonder about the best hitch and wiring for a hitch. I have Bushtec trailer, from what i understand is that the BRP hitch doesn't do well with the different bushtec hitch. And what about the wiring? I also read that BPR wiring doesn't like the set up for bushtec? So looking for recommendations? And what is the difference between a hitch that goes through the axle or attaches to the frame?
    Thanks
    Teri
    IMHO ....The Bustec design is the best one out there, it is basically a stiff hitch that doesn't allow any slack between the Hitch and the trailer Tongue...... So there is never any snapping back and forth .... this is what causes excessive stress on all the drivetrain components..... In fact the last I heard Honda will VOID your warranty if you attach a Hitch to the drivetrain ...... I have made tow assemblies that use a " TIE-ROD " end from a trk steering rack for all my liteweight trailers ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO ....The Bustec design is the best one out there, it is basically a stiff hitch that doesn't allow any slack between the Hitch and the trailer Tongue...... So there is never any snapping back and forth .... this is what causes excessive stress on all the drivetrain components..... In fact the last I heard Honda will VOID your warranty if you attach a Hitch to the drivetrain ...... I have made tow assemblies that use a " TIE-ROD " end from a trk steering rack for all my liteweight trailers ...... Mike
    So, do i get the BRP hitch with the wiring and then get an adapter for the trailer?
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Spyder Garage

I say go with the BRP hitch.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't know if it's a big issue for you or not...
    Bolting on the BRP hitch will maintain your vehicle's warranty.
    (I don't know if that's a thinly-veiled threat or not... but it's worth considering!)
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1230333

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I had the opportunity to see the show chrome hitch and the BRP hitch installed on 2 bikes sitting next to each other. I just liked the looks and substantial feel of the BRP hitch. I found one used on eBay and then went with the Show chrome wiring harness. While it could be a production issue or excessive wear, the installed show chrome hitch was showing some of those small rust spots at the welds. I'm sure there is no impact on its use but just didn't look as nice.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    But if you have a drivetrain problem?
    BRP will make you sweat...
    How about an electrical problem from some improvised wiring?
    Same thing!

How much is your "Peace of Mind" worth?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I say go with the BRP hitch.
    Would I need to take the back wheel off to install the BRO hitch ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. The hitch installation is done "through the existing bolt".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would I need to take the back wheel off to install the BRO hitch ?
    No, the hitch has its own axle that goes through the Spyder axle. The BRP hitch goes on and off very easily. Sometimes you may have to coax it off with a rubber mallet but even that is easy.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

But if you have a drivetrain problem?
    BRP will make you sweat...
    How about an electrical problem from some improvised wiring?
    Same thing!

How much is your "Peace of Mind" worth?
    If BRP can show the improvised wiring caused the failure, you are probably SOL. Same if they can show that a Show Chrome harness, hitch or otherwise, caused the failure.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTIES AND BRP

So now that we have heard from the DOOM & GLOOM crowd ..... if anyone has made any purchases from any VENDOR other than BRP ..... according to the aforementioned folks ..... you all need to be shaking in your boots , that your WARRANTY is practically WORTHLESS ...... Boy that bunch has sure made me feel GREAT .... What's really interesting is the Doom & Gloom crowd very often recommends things from the LaMonster garage ...........sort of hypocritical to me ......... Lamont just keep doing what you are doing, I have no BS warranty fears ....................... rant over ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Do yourself a large favor here and buy the BRP Hitch and wiring Harness. You will have far less headaches in the long run. Nothing quite like buying OEM. This site is filled with hitch and wiring problems from people trying after market cheap parts. Then when they install or use it they are asking everyone for help because it does not work properly or in several cases the hitch actually broke.

You get what you pay for. In most cases to get the after market parts to work properly you wind up spending the same as OEM parts plus the grief, frustration and possible divorce!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, the hitch has its own axle that goes through the Spyder axle. The BRP hitch goes on and off very easily. Sometimes you may have to coax it off with a rubber mallet but even that is easy.

Ok .. Now after I purchase the BRP hitch and wiring harness ... I can install the hitch myself .. But what about the wiring module? Has anymore here installed it ? Is it difficult ? Is there a
    how to link ?

Yours thoughts again please ....

Spyder Garage

Default OEM-PARTS

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Do yourself a large favor here and buy the BRP Hitch and wiring Harness. You will have far less headaches in the long run. Nothing quite like buying OEM. This site is filled with hitch and wiring problems from people trying after market cheap parts. Then when they install or use it they are asking everyone for help because it does not work properly or in several cases the hitch actually broke.

You get what you pay for. In most cases to get the after market parts to work properly you wind up spending the same as OEM parts plus the grief, frustration and possible divorce!

​Jack
    ........... So Jack is Super Clamp .....OEM ????? ....you seem to love that .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I concur ....

on the new addition!
    Do yourself a favor, and get the hitch that was designed for the bike: BRP's!
    Ir's a little bit more money, but a whole lot more hitch.
    of the trailer?

Spyder Garage

I like my BRP hitch, it looks good and the extra splash guard helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I'm part of the "Doom & Gloom" club: I nominate Jack for President!
    Seriously: As an insurance guy, I spend all day thinking about what can go wrong, and how to avoid it. Will a hitch cause a catastrophic component failure on your Spyder? Probably not!
    But if something DID happen: wouldn't you want it's resolution to be as trouble-free as possible?

For the record: As of now, I don't have a trailer or hitch. I keep looking and shopping, hoping to find the right combination for when I eventually will need one. That's how I do things: I consider all of the apparent choices carefully, and mull them over in my little pea-brain!

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Trailer wiring

Ok .. Now after I purchase the BRP hitch and wiring harness ... I can install the hitch myself .. But what about the wiring module? Has anymore here installed it ? Is it difficult ? Is there a
    how to link ?

Yours thoughts again please ....
    Thx

Spyder Garage

I do not wear BRP underware. I did my own wiring with relay isolation unit with battery power. And on the hitch they all work. Do not exceed the BRP recommend pull weight! Now at 32 k miles and no problems. Never use a clamp-on wiring! Go plug and play or do your own with solder connections done correctly.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!