Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A snap ring found on magenta while changing the oil

Hello,

I have a 2011 CanAm Spyder. I have taken it in for service for replacing the bad battery and changing the oil. While changing the oil they found a snap ring brought in half. Has anyone ever had this same type of problem? The mechanics are telling me, that I should drive it and if there are problems we will have to take the engine apart to see where the snap ring goes. They said it is not uncommon to have metal shavings on the magnets while changing the oil? They are saying it seems to come from the transmission? The spyder has had no problems? Has anyone had similar issue please help?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrie View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2011 CanAm Spyder. I have taken it in for service for replacing the bad battery and changing the oil. While changing the oil they found a snap ring brought in half. Has anyone ever had this same type of problem? The mechanics are telling me, that I should drive it and if there are problems we will have to take the engine apart to see where the snap ring goes. They said it is not uncommon to have metal shavings on the magnets while changing the oil? They are saying it seems to come from the transmission? The spyder has had no problems? Has anyone had similar issue please help?
    The broke in half snap-ring was IN the oil... like stuck to the drain plug magnet?

Never heard of this and certainly would be concerned about riding it before figuring out where it came from. Maybe go online to a parts diagram (all dealers have them online for looking up parts) and look around to see if you can find where it might have come from. Can't be too many snap-rings inside the engine or tranny.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's time to start digging in the parts manual, and try to figure out where it came from.
    When the engine is spinning at 5,000 rpm or more: that's no time to have anything loose inside of it, trying to escape!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes there are shavings on the magnetic drain plugs but the broken half of a snap ring is not shavings. That ring kept something is place,that is now free to move more then it should. Best be doing more investigating. Removing the engine and going inside is going to be expensive enough without buying more parts then you need to because it was run and caused more internal damage. Either more investigation or trade it off for a different one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd thread

is this the 2nd thread on this subject ?

Spyder Garage

Default other thread

I posted on other one ! hope you have good luck on this problem

Spyder Garage

Default Broken Snap Ring

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrie View Post
    Hello,

I strongly agree with the people saying not to ride it. If it was just a snap ring on the magnetic plug I would not be near as concerned as part of a snap ring on the plug. First of all it took force to break that ring. That means something happened inside the engine which should not have happened. Yes there should be concern for additional engine or transmission damage and greater repair costs. My larger concern would be an occurrence which caused sudden engine or gearbox lockup. I have experienced it. Not an experience I want to repeat. On a modified two stroke, I have had the piston ring expand into a piston port. Engine stoppage is instantaneous. Rear wheel lockup matches the engine lockup. This has the potential to cause very costly medical concerns for the rider in addition to costly engine/transmission repairs. The least expensive and absolute result of this experience is the need of underwear replacement which is unpleasant while awaiting some one to recover your Spyder.

As a Tech Rep for an industrial engine manufacturer (high speed gas turbines) I have seen the results of internal engine malfunction on numerous occasions. They are ALWAYS much more expensive to the extreme, compared to repair prior to catastrophic failure. But even this concern pales compared to the risk of human body damage if you experience a rotating mass lockup.

Spyder Garage

My first question Mr. Troll, is this: Did you actually see the broken piece on the magnet?