Spyder Garage

Default LED headlight retainer, how did you do it?

I recently purchased a 2009 RS and am considering replacing the halogen bulbs with LEDs. What I am having trouble with is a way to securly retain the LED "bulb" in the housing.

To those who have done this successfully, how did you do it?

Thanks for sharing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How was the oem bulb held in place? My ST uses what many headlights use which are clips that push on the bulb outer ring and then hooked back into place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just watched how the bulb in and RT is replaced and the bulb is held in place using a bayonet turn which unlocks it. So the new bulb should go in and you turn it into place and it lock it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I may have watched the same video, if so, that is an entirely different style of retainer and bulb. the bulb in the 09' RS is an H7 and is held in place by a clip that encircles the pigtail 360* and presses against the backing plate of the bulb pinning into the housing... if that makes any sense at all?

This may be a problem I am inventing in my head having only the picture of the intended LED kit I may install http://www.xenondepot.com/H7-Xtreme-.../xt-led-h7.htm . The retaining clip would have to go where the blue o-ring is on the LED in the image at the link, the only way that can happen is if there is a mechanical separation forward of that o-ring allowing the clip to be placed. From what I can see in the image, that does not exist. A phone call to CS at Xenondepot and I was told that I would have to modify or fabricate a retainer of some sort.

Perhaps the factory clip actually will work, or a modification is required? That is the question.

This is the current style of headlamp https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-...light/16913665

Spyder Garage

Check out the LED lights on lamonstergarage.com. I believe they will work on the RS and you don't have to do any modifications.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED VS OEM HALOGEN

IMHO .... no matter who makes / sells the LED conversion kit for your model Spyder is going to use THE EXACT SAME socket as the OEM socket ..... you said it was an H-7 ...... well the LED version is also going to be an H-7 socket ................. I mean why would they make it something else ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks JKMSPYDER, I see no application for led headlights for an RS at Lamonster.

BLUEKNIGHT911, yes the socket is the same, the connector is the same, however, looking at the h7 halogen bulb then looking at the xenondepot LED you notice that they are very different. Compare the pictures in the links and you may get an understanding for what I am, thus far, unsuccessful in explaining. How does one retain the LED in the housing? The factory clip is completely incompatible with the LED bulb unless there is a mechanical separation between the heat sink and bulb where the blue o-ring is located.

Hopefully someone here with an 09' RS has done this swap and can clear this up

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
    I recently purchased a 2009 RS and am considering replacing the halogen bulbs with LEDs. What I am having trouble with is a way to securly retain the LED "bulb" in the housing.

To those who have done this successfully, how did you do it?

Thanks for sharing.
    the retaining clip is a spring. Squeeze the loops together and it swings away. Remove bulb, replace with LED bulb. Swing clip in place, squeeze and press. Do the right one first. Remove windshield, instrument cluster, unplug wire, remove rubber boot. Use a strong light to see what the clip hooks on. Stand facing the rear of the bike. Reach in with your right hand. Locate the clips. Squeeze until it swings free. Remove bulb, noting where the tabs are. Replace.
    I usually have Ann do it - her hands are smaller.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

13 rs turn counter clockwise

install line tabs up push in turn clockwise

have Band-Aids ready

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HALOGEN VS. LED

Thanks JKMSPYDER, I see no application for led headlights for an RS at Lamonster.

BLUEKNIGHT911, yes the socket is the same, the connector is the same, however, looking at the h7 halogen bulb then looking at the xenondepot LED you notice that they are very different. Compare the pictures in the links and you may get an understanding for what I am, thus far, unsuccessful in explaining. How does one retain the LED in the housing? The factory clip is completely incompatible with the LED bulb unless there is a mechanical separation between the heat sink and bulb where the blue o-ring is located.

Hopefully someone here with an 09' RS has done this swap and can clear this up
    RS-GS-RT it doesn't matter .... LED's don't resemble Halogen bulb's period ...... they are made differently .... I am a " doubting Thomas type " also ..... But Xenon depot is a very reputable company ( unlike some E-bay sellers ) .... what's important is the base of the LED ( H-7 in your case ) will fit into the socket of your RS ( according to Xenon depot ) all the stuff added to that LED has nothing to do with the type of socket so it doesn't look like the Halogen......... I bought LED's for my RT .... 9005 Halogen , my LED is a 9005 socket base - fit perfectly ....... watch LaMonster video on the RT swap ...it's similar and will give you an idea of why it all works ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

After a second phone call to CS at Xenondepot I was able to gain some clarification, the big hang up was nomenclature. What I refer to as a retainer, they and others in the aftermarket lighting industry refer to as an adapter.

These pics should help anyone in the future who may have the same questions I had.

This is what is needed, in a nutshell. As to the exact application/fit, I am going to go with the Mercedes style as it looks like it will work just fine or will only require a slight tweaking;

This is almost exactly what the factory CanAm retainer/adapter looks like that I removed from my headlight assembly with exception to the split in the circumference. Notice the rectangular hole in the center vs. the round hole in the center of the above image;

Additionally, I was able to get the information from XD that the LEDs do infact have a mechanical separation so that the retainer/adapter may be inserted behind the flange. After removing said flange by pulling it forward over and off of the LED bulb portion, the retainer may be installed over the LED to the blue o-ring portion I mentioned in an earlier post, then the flange reinstalled.

Had I desired an HID upgrade rather than the LED upgrade, the stock retainers, I expect, would have been a direct fit.

To any and all wishing to upgrade the 09' RS/GS H7 halogen headlights to H7 LEDs, I hope you find this helpfull.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember something about some type of modification to the headlight clip when I installed "Magic Mans" HID's in my 08 GS...But its been too long ago...You may try a search as Magic Man had a fix for your problem...or maybe someone on here has a better memory than me that did the mod...or maybe Lamonster remembers doing some wayback then??? larryd

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After a second phone call to CS at Xenondepot I was able to gain some clarification, the big hang up was nomenclature. What I refer to as a retainer, they and others in the aftermarket lighting industry refer to as an adapter.

These pics should help anyone in the future who may have the same questions I had.

This is what is needed, in a nutshell. As to the exact application/fit, I am going to go with the Mercedes style as it looks like it will work just fine or will only require a slight tweaking;

This is almost exactly what the factory CanAm retainer/adapter looks like that I removed from my headlight assembly with exception to the split in the circumference. Notice the rectangular hole in the center vs. the round hole in the center of the above image;

Additionally, I was able to get the information from XD that the LEDs do infact have a mechanical separation so that the retainer/adapter may be inserted behind the flange. After removing said flange by pulling it forward over and off of the LED bulb portion, the retainer may be installed over the LED to the blue o-ring portion I mentioned in an earlier post, then the flange reinstalled.

Had I desired an HID upgrade rather than the LED upgrade, the stock retainers, I expect, would have been a direct fit.

To any and all wishing to upgrade the 09' RS/GS H7 halogen headlights to H7 LEDs, I hope you find this helpfull.

Good info I have Xenon LED with the same problems did you have any success with the clip I have already requested to return my LED's but if this works without modification I will order the clips and move forward.

There is always good info here but the folks that have never had RS/GS the are not aware of the difference in the retainer clip and how little room we have to work.

Did you have to modify the dust cap or anything else? thanks jtpollock
    Last edited by jtpollock; 03-10-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Spyder Garage

@jtpollock I only got as far as my last post, I still have to order the parts. When that happens I will give an update. Can you verify that the the flange is in fact removable on those XD LEDs to allow install of the adapter?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Ah

Thank you- clears that up!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

@jtpollock I only got as far as my last post, I still have to order the parts. When that happens I will give an update. Can you verify that the the flange is in fact removable on those XD LEDs to allow install of the adapter?

Thanks!

Yes I have had the flange off several tines, just Saturday I went to my shop to see if I could get a stock set of clips maybe to modify but the clip is not even a part you can order so I went over to the Mercedes Dealer the parts guy spent talking to the mechanic and looking in the parts IPB with no luck finally it came down to you need to order the full headlight bucket. ever forward hopefully some one will chime in with photos of what is required to install LED Headlight on an RS/GS Spyder jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default Help please

@Jeronimo,
    did you ever figure out if you can install the LED’s. I have my bike apart right now and ran into the same problems with the “adapters”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Salemm91 View Post
    @Jeronimo,
    did you ever figure out if you can install the LED’s. I have my bike apart right now and ran into the same problems with the “adapters”
    DDM Tuning has bulb holders https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/L...lass-Ford-Edge
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black

Spyder Garage

confirm LED head bulbs from banggood are 100% swappable, plug-n-play
    2009 GS , MSD wires Red/Black