Spyder Garage

Default running with failed dps tourque sensor

is there a way to run the spyder with DPS codes, everything seems fine without power steering, except the warning lights, is there a way to disable them, almost $1500.00 to have it repaired

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Steering is a bit heavier but manageable especially once your rolling. As for the light I do not know if you can shut it off it you can it would be through the buds system at the dealer. Cheapcycleparts.com has better prices, ebay has them from time to time and junkyards may have a good unit. You can hunt them down and check to make sure it is not one of the ones BRP replaced when they were failing back when....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't disable the warning lights...
    But as long as you're able to get it up to full-speed: you might as well ride it!
    As Gene already mentioned: your shoulder muscles may notice the difference.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere many moons ago that you can jump a pin or something on the DPS connector to turn off the warning lights.
    I do not know if that is a fact but I saw something once where I guy said he did it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    is there a way to run the spyder with DPS codes, everything seems fine without power steering, except the warning lights, is there a way to disable them, almost $1500.00 to have it repaired
    I wouldn't do it. I had a DPS failure on my 2013 RT. The problem was, it was not a total complete failure. Yes, I was able to ride it with steering in manual mode but, and this is the frightening part, when I was making turns like on the Interstate exit the DPS would suddenly, and briefly, activate. The result was I had a sudden change in steering that caused a serious jerking motion. The DPS kicking in and out can make for dangerous steering around a hard turn.

For your safety I say bite the bullet and have it replaced.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I wouldn't do it. I had a DPS failure on my 2013 RT. The problem was, it was not a total complete failure. Yes, I was able to ride it with steering in manual mode but, and this is the frightening part, when I was making turns like on the Interstate exit the DPS would suddenly, and briefly, activate. The result was I had a sudden change in steering that caused a serious jerking motion. The DPS kicking in and out can make for dangerous steering around a hard turn.

When ours went wonky in 2015 it acted the same way. Hard to steer, then suddenly kicked in and jerked the bike. Not fun and very dangerous. IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Default i HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

I had the same experience when my DPS failed. I could ride fine but the handle bars jerked while making any kind of turn in either direction.

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the advice on this it (my spyder) is at Profile Motorsports in Conway N.H. "Getter Done"

Spyder Garage

back in business they found a few other problems, but my Baby is back home.

I took the old DPS apart could not find anything obvious, but I have to find out how this device works, Maybe at Valcourt, CA I can get an engineer to tell me some secrets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Steering is a bit heavier but manageable especially once your rolling. As for the light I do not know if you can shut it off it you can it would be through the buds system at the dealer. Cheapcycleparts.com has better prices, ebay has them from time to time and junkyards may have a good unit. You can hunt them down and check to make sure it is not one of the ones BRP replaced when they were failing back when....
    My DPS went out last fall; other than a little stiffer at low speeds no problem continuing to ride. I continued riding for about another two months and was able to get to the point of not even seeing the toggling warning light. Handling kinda reminded me of driving a TriGlyde...(kinda).
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien