Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fall Trip 2017 to Utah, looking for recommendations -----------

Leaving New Jersey for Red Rock Spyder Rally in September, right after Spyderquest, with the RV and Spyder "in tow". Need recommendations on routes (less mountainous) if possible, as wife doesn't like riding the RV on mountainous roads. Also need recommendations on campgrounds, National Parks to visit, and time needed for each park! Great eatery information, on the way out and back, will also be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Chuck and Carol

Spyder Garage

Default head south

head south on 81, 77, 26, then west on 64... or head further south on 26 to 25, and find you way to either 82 or 84 via 221... all 3 head west, and all are AWESOME rides...
    which ever way you go, go safely and enjoy....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    Leaving New Jersey for Red Rock Spyder Rally in September, right after Spyderquest, with the RV and Spyder "in tow". Need recommendations on routes (less mountainous) if possible, as wife doesn't like riding the RV on mountainous roads. Also need recommendations on campgrounds, National Parks to visit, and time needed for each park! Great eatery information, on the way out and back, will also be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Chuck and Carol
    Bonneville Speed Week-August 12-17 if want to leave early. I was there last year and was well worth the time. Flaming Gorge in NE Utah was a nice trip.

Spyder Garage

Take I-70 west. Your wife will have no problem driving through Kansas.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALD'S!!!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default If your in the neighborhood

If you pass through this neck of the woods, I can arrange for one nice meal!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Burr trail!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Burr trail!!

I would be scared stiff on my Spyder. But it is magnificent.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I toured the national parks in Utah last year on the way to Red Rocks. I had lodging reserved ahead of time, but in one place I wanted to stay two nights and had to change hotels because neither had two nights open. So I'd say to plan and reserve your Utah lodging well ahead for your travels to and from the rally.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Take I-70 west. Your wife will have no problem driving through Kansas.
    Until they get to Denver.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I did I-81 to I-40 when I came out with the moving truck. It will be great to see you here and I hope you can come to Las Vegas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALD'S!!!
    was planning on hitting the one we hit on the way to spyderfest Chris!

Spyder Garage

was planning on hitting the one we hit on the way to spyderfest Chris!
    Which one? I think we hit all of them!!! Do not stop for gas in WV...lesson learned.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Check to see if you can get a pass to the national parks. $10 for life time senior pass. Lifetime Access Pass is free for all ages for handicapped persons. Otherwise it's about $80 a year for everyone else. Just to cut thru Zion NP in southern Utah is $45 one way!

Pickup a copy of the Trailerlife Campground Directory at a Camping World for your camping needs. They are also online. The book is great when you are where there is no internet service.

Hope this helps?

Spyder Garage

Utah is mine & wifey's favourite state to visit.

A few miles north of Moab is a left turn up to Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands NP both with magnificent views.

Just north of Moab is Arches NP - not to be missed.

Just before you get to Arches NP is a right turn which takes you along the Colorado river where you can turn off to see Castle Rock.

Bryce NP. Zion NP + Kolob Canyon. Monument Valley. Cedar Breaks NP followed by the Nebo Loop.

The list is endless & we aren't tired of visiting almost every year for 26 years.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Utah is mine & wifey's favourite state to visit.

A few miles north of Moab is a left turn up to Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands NP both with magnificent views.

Just north of Moab is Arches NP - not to be missed.

Just before you get to Arches NP is a right turn which takes you along the Colorado river where you can turn off to see Castle Rock.

Bryce NP. Zion NP + Kolob Canyon. Monument Valley. Cedar Breaks NP followed by the Nebo Loop.

The list is endless & we aren't tired of visiting almost every year for 26 years.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty much done all the same routes. I don't think there are any bad roads/highways in Utah.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Which one? I think we hit all of them!!! Do not stop for gas in WV...lesson learned.
    I'm still having nightmares about that gas station.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    I'm still having nightmares about that gas station.
    It sounds like there's a story in there we'd all like to enjoy. Who's going to tell it?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

North from Monument Valley to Mexican Hat then to Goosenecks State Park to overlook "The Great Goosenecks of the San Juan River"

Carry on up the Moki Dugway (with care, maybe leaving the RV behind) then at the top taking a left to Muley Point, a little known amazing viewpoint up a packed sandy road.

Then on to Natural Bridges SP

Then a wonderful drive up to Hanksville & over to Torrey. Magnificent rock formations.

South from Torrey to Bryce NP, passing the road to the Burr Trail - leave the RV & go on the Burr Trail on the Spyder. You won't forget it in a hurry - it is paved as far as the Waterpocket Fold.

That should keep you busy for a while.
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    It sounds like there's a story in there we'd all like to enjoy. Who's going to tell it?
    On the way to Spyderfest we stopped at a gas station in West Virginia. Was in the middle of nowhere and wasn't a heavily visited station by outsiders, but we needed gas BECAUSE THOSE WITH A 998 NEEDED TO STOP MORE OFTEN

Anyway, half the pumps would not work properly...you put in your credit card and it would take five minutes to get $1.00 worth of gas. While we were playing musical pumps trying to find one that worked, "locals" started coming out of no where...just like in Deliverance. Kept asking to sit on the Spyders and telling us how "perty" they were.

Needles to say, we got the hell out of dodge!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

To stay out of the mountains as much as possible I would come West on I 40 to Albuquerque the head north out of there to Gallup and Cortez. That will put you near Mesa Verde then go to Monticello pick up 191 north to Moab and Arches and Canyonlands. From there head west on I70. Stop for lunch in Green River at Ray's Tavern. You have to get off the freeway and go into town but well worth it. Best burgers and steaks around. At Cove Fort (worth a stop) go South on I15 to St.George. Stop in Cedar City for some of the best BBQ at Sonny Boy's. Cedar is worth spending time in for all the Shakespeare stuff. Or park the RV and head east out of Cedar for Cedar Breaks NM. Or come a little south and see Kolob Canyon NM. At the top you can see into the backside of Zion's. Beautiful little Spyder ride. Some of this stuff will be on the agenda at the rally but there is so much you can't see it all so going to some before wont ruin the rally for you.
    Hope that gives you some ideas.

If you go south out of Monticello and come thru Kanab stop at Nedra's for lunch. back in the day all the movie stars making westerns ate there. Great drive but much more mountains that way.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-01-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default UTAH

UTAH is AWESOME....
    it's a MUST to ride Rt. 12... it's known as AMERICA'S MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY and it truly is... stop in Boulder, UT at Hell's Backbone Grill for lunch... http://hellsbackbonegrill.com i can't believe how such a wonderful place is out in the middle of 'NOWHERE'....
    SAM_0643.jpg
    I've ridden Rt. 12 3 times, and i'll ride it again when in Utah...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada and Snow Canyon State Park in Utah.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-02-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can never know what you just might find in the rocks out there, even in Nevada!

Me in the rock.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

On the way to Spyderfest we stopped at a gas station in West Virginia. Was in the middle of nowhere and wasn't a heavily visited station by outsiders, but we needed gas BECAUSE THOSE WITH A 998 NEEDED TO STOP MORE OFTEN

Anyway, half the pumps would not work properly...you put in your credit card and it would take five minutes to get $1.00 worth of gas. While we were playing musical pumps trying to find one that worked, "locals" started coming out of no where...just like in Deliverance. Kept asking to sit on the Spyders and telling us how "perty" they were.

Needles to say, we got the hell out of dodge!
    And the reason none of the pumps worked with a credit card is they wanted you to come into the store, tell them how much gas you were going to buy, then pre-pay for it and come back for a refund if you bought less (which they hoped most people wouldn't bother for a dollar or two.) I bet they made a killing on killing on that.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited