Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: MAGIC MIRRORS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It took me an hour; that's with prefabricating 3 of the magnet packs.
    Those cursed OEM mounts fought me to their last breath! I finally got pissed-off, and beat them into submission!
    Everything went EXACTLY as Russ had told us that it would. Everything unbolted from the bike and the mirrors without incident, and the new mounts slid in with nary a complaint.
    But the BESTEST part: setting the mirrors onto those new mounts!
    Getting the tethers hooked into the mirrors was the toughest part of the installation process!
    Easy-Peasey!! The magnets actually pulled them right down into place, and I didn't have to give a thought to lining anything up!

Count me as another Happy Camper, and Satisfied Customer!
    Russ,
    Until you're better paid: thanks a MILLION!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I posted this up in one of the other threads, but thought it might be worth adding here - my apologies to those inflicted with it twice:

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Still waiting on mine. I suspect even if the screws were not recessed they still would not move, these types of magnets have some real grab strength.......
    Funny you should say that...

We had our Aussie Spyder Muster this last weekend, so the last of the 'Crash Test Dummies' received their Production Kits, & I've only just swapped out the test set & fitted mine. Since there's been all this discussion about tethers & screws & locktite & stuff, just for kicks & giggles I thought I'd do a little more testing in the form of a 'screwless run' - ryding for a bit with ONLY the magnets holding the mirrors on to the body - no screws at all thru the magnets to secure them to the rest of the Spyder!!

Now I'm not actually recommending this in any way or suggesting anyone else should try it There are very good reasons for having the screws there & without them it's definitely a wee tad harder to locate the mirror in exactly the right spot when you are fitting them in place, & I don't think the mirrors would locate/stay in place anywhere near as well if they were ever hit by anything bigger than a mosquito, but for the purposes of satisfying my curiosity....

On a short run around the block, the mirrors behaved exactly as they had with the Testers & their screws in place, so I did a run thru town & onto the Freeway - still all good. There was a bit of a gusty cross wind on the freeway, & a few trucks creating turbulence, but the screwless mirrors handled that OK, so I opted to come back via one of the roughest paved roads in Christendom, they still didn't move at all or even vibrate. Sooo, I took the Spyder & did a fast run thru the twisties in the Hills out to our (fairly local) track & once there, I opened it up a tad.... No real preparation, no safety gear beyond my usual riding garb, just a quick word to the staff, a quicker check of the tire pressures, grab the mirrors & rattle a bit just to make sure they are still fixed firmly, & out onto the track for a few hot laps. I ran the Spyder out to 160kph/100mph a few times, pushed it hard thru the corners, lifted an inside wheel a little every now & then; basically just did a few hi-speed laps!! Thoughout all this, the mirrors didn't move; no vibrations, no rattling, no slipping around; just sat there where they'd been put & the Magics held them firmly in place....

All up, it was a great way of clearing the cobwebs on a fairly brisk morning here, and pretty revealing about the mirrors, but like I said, not something I'd recommend for general use! The screws securing the magnets are there for a purpose - they help locate the mirror in the correct position & stop them from moving on the mount points during use, as well as making it a whole lot easier to put the mirrors on & take them off; but it is good to know that even without the screws (& locktite! ) your mirrors will still be held firmly by the magnets alone!

Spyder Garage

Wow. I never thought of that

when I posted back in the day the magnetism was questioned but as I stated then(admin removed the thread) the mirrors don't rely on attraction alone
    the magnet is to allow easy on/off
    the real worker is the spigot. This not only positions the mirror but also gives it shear strength. Eg you can push the bike with the mirrors but then pull them off easily
    also why they withstood the bird strike

now put your screws back in,Peterand throw those tethers away
    russ

Spyder Garage

Never even bothered with the tethers - fiddly things & no added value Anyone want to waste their time fitting a pair??

The Screws were back in before I even posted the report.

It was only when I was changing to the production kit that I thought of this - I took the test screw out of the top magnet & slid/levered the magnet off, but didn't pull it far enough away so of course it immediately clicked back into place..... & with the click the brain started working - I will admit somewhat sluggishly at first, but then it got more & more excited!!

As you know, I've been actively searching for different ways to test these things, & seeing the magnet holding there all by itself..... it didn't take long before I had all the screws out & the mirrors back on & I was out 'test ryding' (yeah, the Missus is probably just a little correct in that it was only another excuse to go for a ryde, but hey, I DID ask if she wanted to join me?!? )

Anyhoo, I'll say it again just to be sure (to be sure!) - running the Magic Mirror Mounts WITHOUT the locating/fixing screws is NOT recommended in any way (but now we know the magnets alone will work to hold them, even if they don't do much 'locating'!)

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Hi to all.
    I received mine today ( number 1027) well worth the wait. The install was approximately 20 minutes, I didn't use the tethers due to the recent posts. I have my sister in law's RT stored here in the shop so am able to compare side by side. Wow, what a difference, the mirror seems to become part of the bike instead of a part ON the bike. Easy to install, easy off and easy on. No more worries about little pieces of plastic flying everywhere the when trying remove or replacing the mirrors.

OUTSTANDING!

Thanks Russ

Rich

p.s. I have a go-pro sticky mount on the left mirror. I can't imagine any problems but will update this post after I have a chance to try it out.
    Last edited by rmag; 04-04-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

Default I nominate

Russell Culley for best Spyder Mod of 2017. Anyone second?

The award goes to: Magic Mirrors

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post

Not only do I second, but third and forth it!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    .....p.s. I have a go-pro sticky mount on the left mirror. I can't imagine any problems but will update this post after I have a chance to try it out.
    Please do report back after you've tried it, but for your peace of mind, my RT Mirrors with the Magics have flawlessly carried Go-Pro cameras, (short) extension/towing mirrors (the clip-on type), additional blind spot mirrors, & even a fairly heavy rotating beacon (6-7lbs plus the weight of the cord etc) - all without issue, sometimes any 2 of those at once, & all on the lighter than production magnets too!!

So I really doubt you'll have problems with just a Go-Pro mounted on them. If you do, it could be due to the length of your mounting stalk. The extension/towing mirrors that I use by preference weigh a few pounds each & clip on to the top & bottom of the OE mirror, projecting out directly from the end of the OE Mirror for about 10-12" total. I did try a pair of slightly lighter but longer reach mirrors - they had mounting arms almost 3 times as long! They still grabbed onto the top & bottom edges of the OE Mirrors, with stretchy straps around the back of the mirror cover, but they stuck out about 12-18" before getting to the mirror head itself, which was then about 10x6" on a swivel head. Something that large stuck out that far into the air stream made the OE Mirror vibrate a fair bit, & I wasn't all that comfortable with them rattling around out there. I did a bit of high speed stuff & passed a couple of Semi's & B-doubles like that without incident, altho both the OE Mirrors & the extension mirrors moved a bit in the gusts & I couldn't see clearly behind until they settled after passing, but I hafta say they never looked like coming off!! Still, I was uncomfortable with them out there, & the OE Mirrors did vibrate a bit more than they had before the Magics went on, but not as badly as some of the 'still mounted & working' OE units I've seen since!! Besides, sticking the longer reach mirrors on didn't actually give me any more visibility behind, in fact it made what I did get to see just a little less clear, so the short reach mirrors that didn't have any of those issues were the obvious choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    Hi to all.
    I received mine today ( number 1027) well worth the wait. The install was approximately 20 minutes, I didn't use the tethers due to the recent posts. I have my sister in law's RT stored here in the shop so am able to compare side by side. Wow, what a difference, the mirror seems to become part of the bike instead of a part ON the bike. Easy to install, easy off and easy on. No more worries about little pieces of plastic flying everywhere the when trying remove or replacing the mirrors.

OUTSTANDING!

Thanks Russ

Rich

p.s. I have a go-pro sticky mount on the left mirror. I can't imagine any problems but will update this post after I have a chance to try it out.
    rich I think you nailed it....when I ride my bike it just feels better,I couldn't think why but that's what it is,the mirror is part of the bike,it's complete

i too run GoPro on the left mirror
    i haven't tried it yet with the magics and must say that even with the floppy mirror before,the picture was still pretty good so I'm expecting it to be even better now
    russ

Spyder Garage

Order #972. Haven't gotten them yet. They don't cal it "snail mail" for nothing.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Order #972. Haven't gotten them yet. They don't cal it "snail mail" for nothing.
    awww... man; I was hoping that you'd be reporting some good news for today...

Hang in there: it'll be worth the wait!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    all future postings will be 6+ business days with tracking
    i have only today found this option for not much more than the flat rate
    the web price will go up a few dollars but i think its more than worth it for the quicker mailing time
    mailouts this monday will be emailed with their tracking number
    we're in the teething process but we will get it right
    all backorders will mail this monday
    thanks russ

Spyder Garage

Default Arrived and installed!

Happy to report my order arrived yesterday and install went perfect!! Big thanks to Peter for the well done video on the installation!!

To Russ for a great invention and hope BRP takes note!!!

Another happy customer!

Charles Eyer
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ceyer69 View Post
    ... Big thanks to Peter for the well done video on the installation!!
    Thanks Charles, but that was all Russ (& Brenda! ) - I just did the Crash Test Dummy stuff.... repeatedly!! I figured that if I can't work out how to break 'em, no one can!! And I tried real hard to break them too; we dropped em, bent em, stuck em on without screws, stuck em to stuff you shouldn't & that you can't get them off of easily, ripped em off one handed (100+ times a day!) put them back one handed (101+ times a day!) tried hanging things on them, pushed the Spyder up hills on them, dragged them outta the shed by them, drove fast, drove slow, drove on smooth roads, drove on rough roads, hit them with low flying magpies (& we've got some big magpies over here!!) hit em with a full bore fire-hose jet (& stuffed the 'waterproof' safe-T-cam, but didn't move the Magics!) You name it we tried it, & a whole heap more but they just kept on doing what they should the way they should!

And the Magics are still firmly held onto the front of my Spyder!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Thanks Charles, but that was all Russ (& Brenda! ) - I just did the Crash Test Dummy stuff.... repeatedly!! I figured that if I can't work out how to break 'em, no one can!! And I tried real hard to break them too; we dropped em, bent em, stuck em on without screws, stuck em to stuff you shouldn't & that you can't get them off of easily, ripped em off one handed (100+ times a day!) put them back one handed (101+ times a day!) tried hanging things on them, pushed the Spyder up hills on them, dragged them outta the shed by them, drove fast, drove slow, drove on smooth roads, drove on rough roads, hit them with low flying magpies (& we've got some big magpies over here!!) hit em with a full bore fire-hose jet (& stuffed the 'waterproof' safe-T-cam, but didn't move the Magics!) You name it we tried it, & a whole heap more but they just kept on doing what they should the way they should!

And the Magics are still firmly held onto the front of my Spyder!
    "But the rest of the Spyder looks like a Crash Test Dummies mode of transport"
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    "But the rest of the Spyder looks like a Crash Test Dummies mode of transport"
    Does now, anyway!!

Not really, but we did do a lot of stuff that you wouldn't 'normally' do, just to be sure they'd hack the pace! And they passed pretty much everything that was even vaguely reasonable with flying colours; as well as almost all of the unreasonable stuff; & even some of the 'you've got to be bloody kidding' stuff!! Not so much for the '$#<! me drunk' stuff tho, but quite surprisingly, some!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror package

I was excited for a second today, the package with my new Magic Mirrors magnets was in my mail box, unfortunately the package was so badly damaged, it looked like it had been run over by a truck or tank, and nothing in the package, empty. I am so disappointed, I was excited to install, now I have nothing to install.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whiteyron View Post
    I was excited for a second today, the package with my new Magic Mirrors magnets was in my mail box, unfortunately the package was so badly damaged, it looked like it had been run over by a truck or tank, and nothing in the package, empty. I am so disappointed, I was excited to install, now I have nothing to install.
    Can you file a claim against the USPS? (Assuming that it was in their custody, when this happened...)

Spyder Garage

Does your mail carrier have a spyder ??
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    I just received mine today and the package looked like hell
    and it was opened, not very carefully but I checked and looks like all is there.
    Now for the install.. I am a happy camper...
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Default Missing Magnets

Just for the heck of it, go back and look in your mailbox again, assuming it's steel.

I got a big ole mailbox and the package was stuck to the top left side of mine.

These darn things are GREAT!!!! Probably one of the best mods I've ever made.

Mike in KY

Spyder Garage

hi ron
    GF sent you a replacement today with tracking numb
    6 business days but expect a little longer from tas
    its a bummer not getting what you paid for so this ones on me
    at least now you will know where it is
    im not a fan of tracking but the shorter mail time is a must
    thanks. Russ

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post

N

The only thing that is am wondering about is which is the REAL Russell?

there is the photo on his posts in the nice "drag" magician outfit (HOT) and then there is the fellow in the videos?

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 04-10-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by metman View Post
    Just for the heck of it, go back and look in your mailbox again, assuming it's steel.

I got a big ole mailbox and the package was stuck to the top left side of mine.

These darn things are GREAT!!!! Probably one of the best mods I've ever made.

Mike in KY
    That is too funny!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

just an update on backorders:
    all backorders up to and including #1152 8th april were mailed on monday
    the website gave out mailing confirmations tonite
    i sent out tracking numbers tonite tuesday
    will be intertesting to see how the packages go this time(couldnt be any worse than before)
    one that i checked said wednesday next week but who knows
    hopefully we wont have the pain that earlier buyers had to endure
    thanks russ

fyi if you want mailing to a different address than the one on the website when you book, then please leave a message on the website (i am actually reading messages now so its really easy to send to the address that you want)...if you send me an email with different address....well,the girls in the office just arent letting me know

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    ......if you send me an email with different address....well,the girls in the office just arent letting me know
    Girls in the office!! You mean the one & only ever suffering Brenda!!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2017 at 05:50 AM.