Spyder Garage

Default Anyone running Toyo Tyres on their Spyder in Australia?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Toyo Tyres on their Spyders.
    Local tyre service can only get this brand for me . Have never used Toyo on my cars or anything .
    Want them on my F3-S front.
    Cheers
    Doug

Spyder Garage

I have used Toyo tires on my cars off and on since they first came into this country in 1970 and have always had good service out of them. On the front of your Spyder they should be fine.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 02-25-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOYO TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by DOOGIE224 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with Toyo Tyres on their Spyders.
    Local tyre service can only get this brand for me . Have never used Toyo on my cars or anything .
    Want them on my F3-S front.
    Cheers
    Doug
    I put Toyo T 1r's on my RT - they stuck like GLUE ...... so much so they caused the NANNY to activate quite often ..... I like to ride at 9/10 ths most of the time ( in the twistie's anyway ) ...... but I found it a waste of time and money trying to achieve MAXIMUM TRACTION ....... because the NANNY will only allow a certain amount of " G " forces and then She will slow things down ...... just buy any car tire that gives long life and you will have a ball ....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Doogie,

Can they not get the Kuhmo KH17 175/60? I only got mine a couple of months ago from a dealer in Taree (they ordered them in).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Toyo tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Doogie,

Can they not get the Kuhmo KH17 175/60? I only got mine a couple of months ago from a dealer in Taree (they ordered them in).

Pete

G'day.Peteoz
    So the 175/60 do fit under the guards Pete ?
    Bit of a worry ordering tyres in HOPING they will fit . If you reckon they will b ok then I will order them on Monday.
    Local Tyre service rang Sydney and they couldnt supply the normal size.
    Thanks Pete

Spyder Garage

The 175/60R15 Kumho KH17's DO fit up front with the 2013 & on fenders with the raised rib on the outsides, there's quite a few of us in Aust running them now; but that doesn't necessarily mean any other make of tires labelled with that same Nominal tire size will fit too - even if any/all of the tire comparison charts & calculators on the internet tell you they do!!

You simply can't tell unless you compare the dealer published rolling dia & width info with that of a 'known to fit' tire like the Kumho's; because any given tire's REAL dimensions won't necessarily match every other make of tire that happens to be wearing the same 'Nominal' tire size!! Yeah, I know they should - but they DON'T!!

That said, the Kumho's are more of a 'sport-touring' tire than the Toyo's that have a more performance oriented tread & compound mix - so the Kumho's might lose a bit of outright grip & sports performance to the Kumho's but counter-balance that by wearing better/lasting longer (at least when you run them at the appropriate pressure for the load they are carrying) but BOTH tires are still waaaaaayy ahead of the Kenda's in ALL respects, just a little different in each of their particular strengths!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Peter Aawan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The 175/60R15 Kumho KH17's DO fit up front with the 2013 & on fenders with the raised rib on the outsides, there's quite a few of us in Aust running them now; but that doesn't necessarily mean any other make of tires labelled with that same Nominal tire size will fit too - even if any/all of the tire comparison charts & calculators on the internet tell you they do!!

You simply can't tell unless you compare the dealer published rolling dia & width info with that of a 'known to fit' tire like the Kumho's; because any given tire's REAL dimensions won't necessarily match every other make of tire that happens to be wearing the same 'Nominal' tire size!! Yeah, I know they should - but they DON'T!!

That said, the Kumho's are more of a 'sport-touring' tire than the Toyo's that have a more performance oriented tread & compound mix - so the Kumho's might lose a bit of outright grip & sports performance to the Kumho's but counter-balance that by wearing better/lasting longer (at least when you run them at the appropriate pressure for the load they are carrying) but BOTH tires are still waaaaaayy ahead of the Kenda's in ALL respects, just a little different in each of their particular strengths!
    Thank you Peter
    I will order the Kumho's tomorrow.
    After what you said about the Kenda's ,I am glad to be rid of them.
    Thanks everyone for your help
    Cheers
    Doug