Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Limited Problems

I am thinking about trading/selling my 2015 F3S SE6 and getting a new 2016 RT Limited, mainly for
    the comfort level and all the good stuff that would come with it, not to mention that my better half will not
    ride with me on the F3S because of comfort level, engine noise and she just does not feel safe on the back.
    My question is what all should I be aware of in doing this? Will I need to install a better stabilizer bar, better shocks or what? I came off of a Goldwing trike to the F3S and that is what sticks in her mind for comfort
    and safety.

Feel free to jump in here with your opinions/experience/recommendations and thinking in general.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default Oh well

You really need to take a test ryde on the RT. Comfort for sure, she will like it. As for the handling you have to ryde it for a spell and see if you want to go in for the swaybar, shocks etc. Most wingers go for the RT....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You really need to take a test ryde on the RT. Comfort for sure, she will like it. As for the handling you have to ryde it for a spell and see if you want to go in for the swaybar, shocks etc. Most wingers go for the RT....

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I also agree with the statement above. Compared to the Goldwing trike, you will have much better handling on the RT, and the comfort level is also great for the passenger. As for upgrading the swaybar and shocks, I have the stock suspension on my RT, and have had people with upgraded shocks and sway bars get left way behind on twisty roads. It may handle better, but the stock stuff is really great on the 2014 and up RT's.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I've got just over 8500 on my RT-S, purchased new last March. Stock everything, and I ride the piss out of it. Handles fine for me, and I still out run the Harley boys!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    I've got just over 8500 on my RT-S, purchased new last March. Stock everything, and I ride the piss out of it. Handles fine for me, and I still out run the Harley boys!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    I agree with all the above statements. Gotta 15RTS SM6, no performance or suspension upgrades and can keep up with the crotch rockets in the twisties. I think good technique goes a long way so you don't have to spend a grand upgrading the components. As far as comfort goes, Pebbles has fallen asleep on the back of Cocaine while I'm doin 90 on the Interstates. I was thinking about getting an F3 but she took a look at the seating for her and said no effing way.
    Jim, you are gonna have to step up your game a bit. Outrunning the Harley boys aint too hard. LOL

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Coming from and F3, you really need to go ride an RT to see if YOU will be comfortable on it. Much less leg room, much higher center of gravity. I could not go back to an RT. No way, no how.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Coming from and F3, you really need to go ride an RT to see if YOU will be comfortable on it. Much less leg room, much higher center of gravity. I could not go back to an RT. No way, no how.
    JC, I am gonna guess that you don't do a whole lot of 2 up riding, do ya? Believe me, if I didn't have Pebbles on the back of Cocaine 25% of the time, I would have gotten an F3 myself.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We love our RT. No major changes done to it and we're happy. Do suggest the test ride regardless.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In stock condition: the RTs handle just fine. You won't need to worry about it doing anything unusual or dangerous...

...That's not to say that it can't be mde better!

If you get one: ride it for a while, and then decide if you think that it needs any improving.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Limited Problems

Thanks People for all the input. I did take a test ride on RTL and a couple of things that stood out.
    1). When shifting the auto tranny there is a definite lag time and I was told that was to make
    shifting smoother.
    2). The power/torque seems to be at a different rpm than the F3S and not as strong.
    3). The gearing seems to be a little taller.
    4). There is not much leg room and road pegs would be an absolute necessity.

The RT Limited does seem to have a lot going for it in the comfort department and has a lot of
    bells and whistles, not to mention a bunch of lights up front. My wife sure likes it over the F3S.

Part of my problem is that I am a died in the wool OLD HOT RODDER and being able to spin the
    rear tire without a problem tickles my inner soul. That said spinning the rear tire at 65mph in the
    rain is not a fun thing and will get your attention quickly. Time will tell and maybe I can convince
    my better half that two of a good thing is better that one of a good thing!!

Dray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    Thanks People for all the input. I did take a test ride on RTL and a couple of things that stood out.
    1). When shifting the auto tranny there is a definite lag time and I was told that was to make
    shifting smoother.
    2). The power/torque seems to be at a different rpm than the F3S and not as strong.
    3). The gearing seems to be a little taller.
    4). There is not much leg room and road pegs would be an absolute necessity.

The RT Limited does seem to have a lot going for it in the comfort department and has a lot of
    bells and whistles, not to mention a bunch of lights up front. My wife sure likes it over the F3S.

Part of my problem is that I am a died in the wool OLD HOT RODDER and being able to spin the
    rear tire without a problem tickles my inner soul. That said spinning the rear tire at 65mph in the
    rain is not a fun thing and will get your attention quickly. Time will tell and maybe I can convince
    my better half that two of a good thing is better that one of a good thing!!

Dray
    Have the two of you sat on and F3-L with the top case and passenger backrest / arm rests? This really sounds like a better combo for the two of you.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

hi dray
    at our last muster i took a ride on a demo F3 S 2016...my bike is RT 2014
    much as i loved the F3 the G.F. on the back said it had no support for her
    but the 2017 F3T now has the back rest,i think, so could be an option for you

the RT has great weather protection up front tho and with a few handling options is just a great bike to live with
    since i fitted new front tyres(nankangs AS1) the machine handles like a slot car

and if you do get an RT dont forget to fit up a set of magic mirror mounts to complete the package

russ
    www.magicmirrors.shop

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Russ,
    Do you have an inkling as to when you'll start shipping your mounts yet?
    (BTW: Sorry for the Hijack! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A thorough test drive of the RT seems to be in order for you. They are not for everyone.

I am on my third RT--and--I like em! I previously owned two early GS/RS versions. They were to much like "crotch rockets" for me. When RT came out in 2010, I jumped on the premier edition and never looked back.

I have went so far as to "test sit" the F3. For me, I do not like the feel of the "cruiser" position on the F3. The ergos just do not feel right to me. And, I came from many actual cruiser bikes--which I liked. Until they come up with a different configuration that I like, I am sticking with my RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the very least, get a Spyderpops bumpskid. I did install shock adjusters on my '14 RTL to get the front end up a little higher. Even then with some of the roads I traveled the bumpskid was pretty beat up when I sold the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT-S is wonderful

Wife and I had a 2013 ST LTD, with us both on it I got pushed forward a bit and the spot where the tupperware top and seat meet made things very uncomfortable after a couple hours for a man

We drove an RT LTD and is sits you more vertical. Plus the seat / tupperware are curved so no more "discomfort". The wife loves the large backrest and the heated passenger grips. The bike is NIGHT and DAY different as far as comfort and handling. Comes with the air ride system, you can adjust for a stiffer ride if you want. Huge shocks are standard, a stiffer swaybar means far less bouncing around.

However, we settled on an RT-S instead. It is the exact same thing minus the GPS and a couple chrome pieces. Plus it was like $2K less!! I am using JT's dash mount system, puts your GPS and phone up on the dash out of the way: http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=60 to mount my GPS. The downside so far is it is a bluetooth GPS, but I haven't figured out how to get 3-4 BT inputs to the SM10. I might end up running a cable to the trunk for the GPS to connect to the AUX input.

If you are looking for comfort and a bike the wife will love, the RT-LTD or the RT-S is the way to go. And right now if you find a 2016 model, BRP is adding a $2K rebate. $3500 of you find a 2015. It's time to buy! My RT-S MSRP was $28,399, the discounted price was $23,999.

Steve