Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacemaker

Spyder Garage

Default Pacemaker

Went for a ride last Monday on my 62nd birthday, and that night started feeling bad. Ended up going to the emergency room Tuesday afternoon. My heartrate was in the mid 30's. Other than feeling dizzy, tired, kind of confused, I felt no pain at all. I knew I was in trouble.

They ended up keeping me overnight. Every time I fell asleep, the woke me up because my heartrate was getter down in the mid 20's, then they would give me a shot of atropine. After about the third time of getting woken up, and another shot, I just decided to stay up, and ended up watching tv all night.

Wednesday morning I saw the cardiologist, and he told me that they were going to do surgery and install a pacemaker later on during the week. Later that day, since my heart rate was so slow, I went into surgery and had a pacemaker implanted. Thursday afternoon I was released from the hospital. Started exercising on the treadmill Sunday afternoon. Doing 30 minutes @ 3.6 mph each day.

Other than still being sore, and not being able to raise my left arm up very high, I feel like a new man! Plenty of energy! Saw my cardiologist this morning, and he told me I will be able to get back on my Spyder next weekend. I'm very fortunate to be alive. Life is good!
    Last edited by CanAmMick; 02-23-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are doing well. I am also a recent recipient of a pacemaker. Like you, I am feeling and doing much better now. Glad you went to the ER when you did--that saved you for sure. The heart is something not to mess with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Sure glad you went right in and got it checked out. The best news is your out and better than new. It will be good to get back on the road for sure... that was a close one....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's good to hear that you're feeling so much better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default MAN!!

Glad you got help quick, and are already on the road to recovery. Hope all goes well for you, and that you fully recover very quickly.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing well. I am also a recent recipient of a pacemaker. Like you, I am feeling and doing much better now. Glad you went to the ER when you did--that saved you for sure. The heart is something not to mess with.
    How long ago did you get yours? How long did it take till your shoulder was healed? It wasn't that big of a surgery, but my shoulder is sure sore. Eight full days so far, and just thought it wouldn't hurt as much as it does. Maybe I'm just expecting too many in a short amount of time. I can sure tell I'm not a teenager any more!

My wife and I got married in the town of North Pole Alaska back in 1980 while we were both stationed at Eielson AFB outside of Fairbanks. We loved it up there.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

Default Smart Man!

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
    Went for a ride last Monday on my 62nd birthday, and that night started feeling bad. Ended up going to the emergency room Tuesday afternoon. My heartrate was in the mid 30's. Other than feeling dizzy, tired, kind of confused, I felt no pain at all. I knew I was in trouble.

They ended up keeping me overnight. Every time I fell asleep, the woke me up because my heartrate was getter down in the mid 20's, then they would give me a shot of atropine. After about the third time of getting woken up, and another shot, I just decided to stay up, and ended up watching tv all night.

Wednesday morning I saw the cardiologist, and he told me that they were going to do surgery and install a pacemaker later on during the week. Later that day, since my heart rate was so slow, I went into surgery and had a pacemaker implanted. Thursday afternoon I was released from the hospital. Started exercising on the treadmill Sunday afternoon. Doing 30 minutes @ 3.6 mph each day.

Other than still being sore, and not being able to raise my left arm up very high, I feel like a new man! Plenty of energy! Saw my cardiologist this morning, and he told me I will be able to get back on my Spyder next weekend. I'm very fortunate to be alive. Life is good!
    Thank goodness you listened to your body and went to the emergency room! I'll bet your Spyder will get quite the workout next weekend - and hopefully your guardian angel will be ryding with you as well.......

Best of luck and continued success with your recovery.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it.

Mick
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

Default Sweet

Glad it is fixed! Congratulations. Scarey stuff. I know!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stay well and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Glad it all worked out
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are doing better. I got out of breath climbing the stairs one weekend. Put off the doctors visit for a few days. Turned out I had clots in both lungs.

Glad you listened to your body and got help right away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a scary story. I'm glad you got attention quickly and that you'll soon be back on your Spyder.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The gift of life seems to be just about the best 62nd. birthday present you could ever get....
    heal up and get back out there on that Spyder...
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

How long ago did you get yours? How long did it take till your shoulder was healed? It wasn't that big of a surgery, but my shoulder is sure sore. Eight full days so far, and just thought it wouldn't hurt as much as it does. Maybe I'm just expecting too many in a short amount of time. I can sure tell I'm not a teenager any more!

My wife and I got married in the town of North Pole Alaska back in 1980 while we were both stationed at Eielson AFB outside of Fairbanks. We loved it up there.
    Pacemaker was implanted in August 2016. I had no pain or problems with my shoulder (installed on left side). I went through two previous heart procedures in a four month time period--so for me--the pacemaker was a piece of cake. Hang in there--it should heal quick.

I am familiar with North Pole and Eielson. Beautiful country around there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was doing so good until my 10 day. Back to the emergency room, and this time a blood clot in my left lung. Now on blood thinners. Today back to see my cardiologist. Chest pain, and feeling like crap. X-ray shows that one is of the probes has moved too far into my heart. Now they are going to have to remove it and reinsert it in another place.

Only problem now is the blood clot and the blood thinners that I'm taking. So, now they are going to have to wait for two days. If there is too much fluid around my heart, they will transport me to Winston Salem. That's where my Dr said he would have it done. If not he will be able to do it here.

I just cant believe how great I felt a few days ago, and how my recovery was going, and now I feel so bad.

I'm worried, but my wife is really having a hard time with it. Just hope they can do everything here. I don't want to have to travel and find a place to stay in an area that we know nothing about.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

I was doing so good until my 10 day. Back to the emergency room, and this time a blood clot in my left lung. Now on blood thinners. Today back to see my cardiologist. Chest pain, and feeling like crap. X-ray shows that one is of the probes has moved too far into my heart. Now they are going to have to remove it and reinsert it in another place.

Only problem now is the blood clot and the blood thinners that I'm taking. So, now they are going to have to wait for two days. If there is too much fluid around my heart, they will transport me to Winston Salem. That's where my Dr said he would have it done. If not he will be able to do it here.

I just cant believe how great I felt a few days ago, and how my recovery was going, and now I feel so bad.

I'm worried, but my wife is really having a hard time with it. Just hope they can do everything here. I don't want to have to travel and find a place to stay in an area that we know nothing about.
    Once again, hang in there my friend. Something not right. Let's hope they get the situation straightened out. All the symptoms are indicating a fix is in order. Travel if you have to, but get it done ASAP. Thoughts and go with you and family. Keep us posted as the recovery begins again.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mick,
    We'll be keeping you in our kindest thoughts and prayers until this all gets sorted out...

Spyder Garage

Hang in there man------ we are all praying for ya.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Saying prayers for you..I believe this is just a bump in the road..No doubt, you will be back in the saddle again soon. Just don't rush it..I know because your story started like mine did..My wife and I was on a ryde from St Louis to Minnesota app 3 years ago and had to turn around after a few hundred miles...I needed a pacemaker added to the defibrillator I already had for 18 yrs. Best of luck,and keep us posted!..P.S. the picture of the big beer can on my signature is from our trip to Minnesota after my pacemaker was put in..You can do it..

Spyder Garage

Default Pacemaker

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
    I have had heart surgery and a stroke after surgery.
    Blood thinners and a great doctor keep me going.
    You can do it too.
    Cheers, David C.

Spyder Garage

Was transported late Wednesday evening to Wake Forest hospital. Seems like a great place. Just ordered breakfast by phone.

I'm doing ok. Lots of pain, but manageable with the different Meds they can give me. Usually 2-3 range, and if I have to breath deep, or thighten the muscles on the left side up to 7. Plus my kidney stone is on the move again, left side also, do the two are competeing for which one wants to cause the most pain.

The Dr said the cup of blood that they had to remove from around my heart before surgery was like sand paper every time it was beating. That is probably why he said I was so sore, and still having problems.

I was able to get a few hours of sleep. Poor Mary (wife of 37 years next month) she is exhausted from all of this. She has to feed me since I can't move, and gets up all the time for me. I'll really have yo take good care of her when this I over.

They were saying that I would be released today. I told the heart Dr that I felt terrible and was worried about being released too early with a 3 hour drive home, and having all the pain. He said he did not think I was going anywhere today.

The test I just did this mornings was to see if there was blood forming around the heart, don't know yet. The wire was sticking out almost 1 inch beyond my heart. That's why yesterday before surgery my heartrate was down in the 30's sometimes. It was not shocking the heart. Today's a new day.

They are going to start me on blood thinners again, but are worried about where they removed the probe, and the hole in my heart starting to bleed again. If that happens there are two choice, going below the rib cage to sealing it, or open heart surgery. Hopefully there will be no problem.

I feel better with each passing hour. Hopefully there will be no more speed bumps to slow the healing process down.

I'll be able get out on my feet today and will do some walking. As long as I don't raise my left are up, or have to lighten the mussels on my left side I'll do fine.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the nice comments. Hopefully soon I'll be better than new, and back on the road again.

2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress, and will soon get your feet back under you.
    Continue to heal!

Spyder Garage

Was transported late Wednesday evening to Wake Forest hospital. Seems like a great place. Just ordered breakfast by phone.

I'm doing ok. Lots of pain, but manageable with the different Meds they can give me. Usually 2-3 range, and if I have to breath deep, or thighten the muscles on the left side up to 7. Plus my kidney stone is on the move again, left side also, do the two are competeing for which one wants to cause the most pain.

The Dr said the cup of blood that they had to remove from around my heart before surgery was like sand paper every time it was beating. That is probably why he said I was so sore, and still having problems.

I was able to get a few hours of sleep. Poor Mary (wife of 37 years next month) she is exhausted from all of this. She has to feed me since I can't move, and gets up all the time for me. I'll really have yo take good care of her when this I over.

They were saying that I would be released today. I told the heart Dr that I felt terrible and was worried about being released too early with a 3 hour drive home, and having all the pain. He said he did not think I was going anywhere today.

The test I just did this mornings was to see if there was blood forming around the heart, don't know yet. The wire was sticking out almost 1 inch beyond my heart. That's why yesterday before surgery my heartrate was down in the 30's sometimes. It was not shocking the heart. Today's a new day.

They are going to start me on blood thinners again, but are worried about where they removed the probe, and the hole in my heart starting to bleed again. If that happens there are two choice, going below the rib cage to sealing it, or open heart surgery. Hopefully there will be no problem.

I feel better with each passing hour. Hopefully there will be no more speed bumps to slow the healing process down.

I'll be able get out on my feet today and will do some walking. As long as I don't raise my left are up, or have to lighten the mussels on my left side I'll do fine.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the nice comments. Hopefully soon I'll be better than new, and back on the road again.

Thank you for the update. I was beginning to worry a bit because we had not heard from you for a few days. Glad to hear that you are getting the issues solved. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and . Bless the spouses and others who sit by and offer support during these tough times.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone! Just got released from the hospital, and on the way home. They went through the same spot again and removed the probe that went through my heart, and inserted a new one in another spot. Had to insert a drain tube in my chest because of the blood that had accumulated around my heart.

Tired, sore and thankful to be alive! In about two more weeks I should be back on the Spyder again. That's if I'm not to sore. Having surgery twice on one spot within two weeks is a bit much.
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops