Spyder Garage

Default Loose weight and

No, not me, the Spyder.
    I want to lighten the weight on my 2015 F3se. I will replace the stock battery with an EarthX lithium battery that weighs approx 4 pounds (stock YUSA weighs 17 pds.).
    One of my EarthX choices has a 320 cca rating (stock is 350cca rating).
    i can also get a lithium battery with a 400 cca rating.
    Any concerns using a lithium battery with a 320acc rating?
    In addition I want to install the "cat delete" and get a lighter muffler. However, I really do NOT want a loud bike. Not sure this is possible.
    Any suggestions for a light quiet muffler to go with the cat delete?
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could also strip the sound deadening materials from the body panels, and even replace your seat with something lighter...
    (I once cut over 65 pounds off of a snowmobile, in order to help it work better in deep snow...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You could also strip the sound deadening materials from the body panels, and even replace your seat with something lighter...
    (I once cut over 65 pounds off of a snowmobile, in order to help it work better in deep snow...)
    Sound deadening materials? That foam doesn't weigh much... I have it all sitting on a bench waiting to be installed on my new panels.
    The battery and cat for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    No, not me, the Spyder.
    I want to lighten the weight on my 2015 F3se. I will replace the stock battery with an EarthX lithium battery that weighs approx 4 pounds (stock YUSA weighs 17 pds.).
    In addition I want to install the "cat delete" and get a lighter muffler. However, I really do NOT want a loud bike. Not sure this is possible.
    Thanks
    Any particular reason? Battery Tender is now selling lithium motorcycle batteries too. I'll wait until mine dies and then go with the lithium too.
    Removing the cat and keeping the stock pipe will make you louder... probably don't want to swap the pipe if you don't want to go much louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I had read that the EarthX has a "shut off" feature that does not allow the battery to drain completely. Some time ago I read that if you completely drain the lithium battery, it is a ruined.
    I had a Shorai lithium battery on my Kawasaki C-14 that worked for perfectly for 5 years until I sold the bike. These batteries are incredibly light, powerful, hold a charge for a long time, and are demensionally small.
    still need to know if using a lithium battery with a 320 cca rating will compromise the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

oh boooy

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

There is not a whole lot you can take off an F3...The exhaust will be louder but between the cat and the muffler you have some wieght you could shed....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lithium Battery

I had read that the EarthX has a "shut off" feature that does not allow the battery to drain completely. Some time ago I read that if you completely drain the lithium battery, it is a ruined.
    I had a Shorai lithium battery on my Kawasaki C-14 that worked for perfectly for 5 years until I sold the bike. These batteries are incredibly light, powerful, hold a charge for a long time, and are demensionally small.
    still need to know if using a lithium battery with a 320 cca rating will compromise the Spyder.
    No it shouldn't, because unlike lead-acid batteries, the voltage from a lithium battery is constant. Your electrics don't like low voltage or voltage spikes, and lithium batteries were designed to eliminate these problems.. So, your lithium battery will crank the engine safely at a constant and proper voltage until it's almost exhausted, then it will shut off. And if you're Spyder won't crank and start with 320 CCA,s then it's got a serious issue. I recommend lithium batteries.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    have had my F3 over 50% apart and have not seen any sound deadening except a foam piece behind the drive sprocket cover.
    What am I missing, Bob? not that I want to remove anything, just want to be sure I didn't miss out on something that's supposed to be there.
    And my seat is not heavy-it isn't as light as it was 30 years ago, but it ain't heavy!

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

My problem is just the opposite, I need more places on my Spyder to add more weight...without having to buy a trailer.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    have had my F3 over 50% apart and have not seen any sound deadening except a foam piece behind the drive sprocket cover.
    What am I missing, Bob? not that I want to remove anything, just want to be sure I didn't miss out on something that's supposed to be there.
    Try the black panel under the engine.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I had a Shorai and it was dead at anything below 30° because it didn't like being cold any more than I do. Since I got a home in SC I may get another. Did they get any cheaper? I lost a ton of $$$ when I sold that one.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Side panels

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    And my seat is not heavy-it isn't as light as it was 30 years ago, but it ain't heavy!
    all side panels are insulated. I was surprised by how heavy they are. But I like heavy. Heavy is good!

Spyder Garage

et time
    No, not me, the Spyder.
    Thanks
    May I ask if you have had a really close look at the requirements for charging a Lithium battery vs a traditional vehicle lead acid battery ? The reason I ask is they are worlds apart with their requirements, their final trickle vs shut off requirements and the way they discharge ... To my knowledge, I personally would not be looking to change my battery to lithium if I wasn't going to change the way my regulator / charging system looks at the load its going to be charging ... In this case apples aren't equal to apples. But I am happy to take on board advice from others who may be more abreast of current lithium technologies ...

Just a heads up re the cat delete questions ... I only changed over to a full cat delete a couple of days ago and although not perfect, I don't mind my rear stock muffler's sound output now, which is still married up to the new set up on the F3-T. It has a way better note after getting rid of the catalytic converter. Although not 100% I would rate it at probably 4 out of 5. (each to their own .. but IMO, I've certainly heard way worse bikes in my 50 years of riding)

When I get more time, I'm going to take this stock muffler off and have a really close look at just how its been set up.... that is whether its anything vaguely related to a straight thru type unit or what .... Would I currently pay out an extra $600 - $1000 plus dollars right now before investigating this avenue ... no way ... that is unless you have real deep pockets ... I'm all about go not show ! .. then again as I said, this is only my opinion ... so each to their own .... stay safe !
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

No, not me, the Spyder.
    Thanks
    Apologies for this reference being soooooooo long. I wanted to find a suitable reference so it would be known this is way more than just my stupid opinion in opposition to what you are suggesting with your proposed battery type swap ! From everything I know about these two different battery types, the whole idea is literally fraught with possible danger !

As a reference to a google search I found this article within moments .... This is fairly 'a typical’ in opinion on 'Lithium vs Lead acids' batteries lack of compatibility regards charging....

All credits to ... http://www.enerdrive.com.au/can-charge-lithium-battery-lead-acid-charger/

Please do a cut and paste on the URL to see the whole article ...

From the outset, apologies for the length of this whole 'cut and paste' of which I have only shown a small part here after of the entire article ... In anycase .I believe this contains the anomalies and the gist of what I am trying to get across ...

Now, having said all this .... and cut and paste all of this, just yesterday I discovered my wife’s mobility scooter wasn’t charging its Lithium batteries as it should .... As a truly desperate and only very short term fix I plugged in a lead acid charger from another 'lead acid mobility scooter' just to get the cells to have enough back EMF (resistance) to take a future charge from a good lithium battery charger ... It did work for me but I only took things to the point of being able to get the lithium batteries to again accept a charge from a genuine‘lithium’ battery charger.

ONCE LYTHIUM BATTERIES ARE DISCHARGED YOU CANNOT RECOVER THEM BY USE OF THEIR TRADITIONAL LYTHIUM BATTERY CHARGER. IT JUST WILL NOT WORK...

...And so I begin the quoted cut and paste ....

.... " Can I charge my lithium battery with a lead acid charger?

This is a question we get asked every day by the general public. Lithium batteries are not like lead acid and not all battery chargersare the same. A 12v lithium LiFePO4 battery fully charged to 100% willhold voltage around 13.3-13.4v. Its lead acid cousin will be approx 12.6-12.7v.A lithium battery at 20% capacity will hold voltage around 13V, its lead acidcousin will be approx 11.8v at the same capacity. As you can see, we are playing with a very narrow window of voltage with lithium, less than 0.5V over 80% capacity.

A Lithium LiFePO4 charger is a voltage-limiting device that has similarities to the lead acid system.

The differences with Li-ion lie in a higher voltage per cell, tighter voltage tolerances and the absence of trickle or float charge at full charge.

While lead acid offers some flexibility in terms of voltagecut off, manufacturers of LiFePO4 cells are very strict on the correct setting because Li-ion cannot accept overcharge. The so-called miracle charger that promises to prolong battery life and gain extra capacity with pulses and other gimmicks does not exist. LiFePO4 is a “clean” system and only takes what it can absorb.

Lithium chargers are based on a CV/CC (constant voltage/constant current) charge algorithm. The charger limits the amount ofcurrent to a pre-set level until the battery reaches a pre-set voltage level. The current then reduces as the battery becomes fully charged. This system allows fast charging without the risk of over-charging and is suitable for Li-ion and other battery types.

The lithium battery has a steep rise in voltage at the veryend of the charge cycle. At this stage the charge current drops extremely quickly and the charger then switches to power supply mode.

The majority of the lead acid smart chargers these days have specific charge algorithms to suit Flooded/AGM/Gel batteries which generally require a 3 stage charge process, Bulk/Absorption/Float. Once the charger enters the bulk state, it will normally charge a lead acid battery at full current to approximately 80% capacity. At this point the charger will transition tothe Absorption stage.

Typical Lead Acid Charger Algorithm

In this charge phase the charger will hold the maximum voltage for the chosen battery and charge the battery with reduced current asthe batteries internal resistance can’t accept the charge current at maximum output. Once the current reduces to approx ≤10 % of the chargers total output,it will then move to the float state. The absorption stage is also time based, if the charger is still in its absorption phase after 4 hours, the charger will automatically transition to the float stage. This generally happens if the charger is undersized for the battery bank or there are loads running on the system and not allowing the charger to reduce the current below the transition point.

Most if not all lead acid chargers have an equalization mode. On some chargers, this mode may be automatic which can’t be turned off. Lithium batteries do not require any form of equalization. Applying an equalization charge of 15v+ to a lithium battery will damage the cells beyond repair.

The other function that lead acid chargers have is a “return to bulk” voltage. A 100% full lead acid batteries voltage is approx 12.7v. Once the charger is in Float, it will maintain the battery at a pre-set voltage(normally between 13.3-13.8v subject to the battery type) and also support any loads running at the time. If the loads increase past the chargers maximum output in float, then the battery voltage will start to reduce. Once the voltage reaches the “return to bulk” voltage, the charger will then start a newcharge cycle and start re-charging the battery.

The “return to bulk” voltage setting in lead acid chargers is normally 12.5-12.7v. This voltage for a lithium battery is way too low. At this voltage the lithium battery will have been depleted to approx 10-15% state of charge. Lithium charge algorithms will normally set a return to bulk voltage of 13.1-13.2V. Just another reason that a standard lead acid charger doesn’t suit lithium batteries. ... "

Apologies for the repeated editing but I keep finding where the cut and paste didn't really go that well .... In summary, for me at least possibly a better way would be for me to just go loose some weight .... Hope this helps ... stay safe !
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-07-2018 at 02:46 AM.