Spyder Garage

Angry 2012 RT SM5 will not shift into reverse

Frustrated, just got my 2012 RT SM5 back from a rear tire mount and oil change. Rode it a couple of hundred miles on a group run last week, no problems, and a few short trips. I had checked the oil level after getting home from the shop, and it was full, maybe a bit over full. Yesterday it backed out of the garage fine, but I stopped about 80 miles later for a sandwich, and when I started it and tried to shift into reverse, the shifter would not go past first gear. Stopped and restarted it, no luck, tried repeatedly to get into reverse, but no success. Shifted in and out of first several times, and let the bike roll, but still nothing. Got onto highway and stopped on a ramp to try again, but no luck. Tried after cutting my trip short and getting home in the garage, still no reverse. No displayed errors or orange screen. I have about 32,000 miles on the bike, and have had a number of problems, but this is a new one on me. I bought the Spyder new, and have had problems with it. Any suggestions, ideas etc. would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Spyder2012; 02-18-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Default oil

when you checked the oil was your engine cold , or hot ? on these cycles , need the engine too have ran a bit , get the oil moving around, give a more accurate read, it might have been low and the ride had pushed the oil every where and not enough too get the clutches too move ... if this isn`1t the problem , look for leaks inside the engine area , where oil spots would be seen ! if I remember right , rotax use a little oil in a 1 ,ooo to 2,ooo mile ride , might just too top off the oil ,as these engines are a bit fussy with fluids ...

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Start with the oil. The twins use oil and need checking every 500 miles or so. The SE's need to have the oil level close to the full mark to keep the clutch and tranny working properly. If stuck there is a tool in your kit or should be that will allow you to manually shift to get you out of a stuck gear position. Otherwise you may have to check the actuator, sensors etc for clutch and shift system...hope it's just oil....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Happened to my riding buddy.

I'm not sure how it works for the automatic, but with the manual, when you press the reverse button on the handlebars, it activate a solenoid at the transmission that allows reverse to be engaged.

In the case of my buddy, a wire had come loose at the transmission end, that was with a 2011 RT SM5.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil OK

Oil level is fine. Either the switch, actuator or wire must be failing. It was fine, then not. Thanks to all who responded. I will check for a loose wire as soon as I can get under there.
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Spyder Garage

Sometimes my 2012 sm5 Will Not shift OUT of reverse Back to 1st Gear as I try to lift the lever? I Kill the engine and it shifts Perfectly- Then ReStart the engine!
    Does Not happen often but you might try the Kill Switch and try to shift -then restart??

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think there is a relay for the reverse actuator. It is also used by the trailer module and when I had trailer harness issues my SM5 would not shift into reverse. I remember having to push it out of a tight parking place with the trailer attached.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622