Spyder Garage

Default Trailer wiring harness

I have a 2010 RT-SM5 Spyder. I am getting ready to put a harness on it to hook it up to the trailer. Where are the wiring plug ins for this, or are there any best ways/easier ways to get this done? Have the trailer done and all that and ready to go, just need to get the bike wired up and ready to hook up into the trailer. Any and all help is appreciated.
    2010 RT , Orbital Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bought. My harness on amazon...plug and play except wiring power from batt. Simple tho

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssines View Post
    I have a 2010 RT-SM5 Spyder. I am getting ready to put a harness on it to hook it up to the trailer. Where are the wiring plug ins for this, or are there any best ways/easier ways to get this done? Have the trailer done and all that and ready to go, just need to get the bike wired up and ready to hook up into the trailer. Any and all help is appreciated.
    The wiring plug ins are only going to work with the factory harness / module.

Have you already purchased the harness?

If not, I think most folks who do not have the factory wire harness already installed, opt for this one:

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...2&GroupGuid=78
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-13-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your choice of a harness might depend on your trailer. If your trailer has separate turn signals and brakes you'll need a 5-pin harness, which is what Big Bike Parts sells. It comes without a connector, so you'd have to buy a connector at an auto-parts store (I use a flat 5-pin, a lot of bikers use a round 5-pin).

The BRP harness has a 4 pin harness with a square connector.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer question

If the can am trailer harness is a 4 wire square connector how can I hook up my 4 wire flat connector??? Don't want to look like a dummy but I cannot find an adaptor for this. Help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HILTON5981 View Post
    If the can am trailer harness is a 4 wire square connector how can I hook up my 4 wire flat connector??? Don't want to look like a dummy but I cannot find an adaptor for this. Help

May I suggest when asking a new question that you start a new thread of your own. You will get better answers faster.

I have never seen an adapter like you are asking. It would be simple to make. Buy a square 4 and a flat 4 and connect the same color wires together. The Hopkins 4 square trailer plug is available on Amazon or a well stocked trailer store. The flat 4 you can get almost everywhere. The other option is to cut off one of your other connectors and replace with a matching one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I bought this. Not hard to hook up at all! It's not plug and play but super easy to tap into the tail lights.

Since my trailer is 4 wire this was perfect and no adapter needed.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/56146.html

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssines View Post
    if you use a BRP harness they are different depending on the year, 2010 uses a harness that mounts under the left side rear compartment, it is a round plug with a cover and made to match the same year BRP trailer. if you are going to make your own I would use led lights on the trailer. wire the stop lights separate from the running lights as they are on the machine the directional should also be separate if you want 12vdc in your trailer all the time, use a 5 pin set up. caution secure your harness well away from the rear tire, and the bike side of the harness short enough so there is no way it will touch the pavement. the plug for the BRP harness is under the left side cover near the passenger seat handle good luck this is no place for crimp-pimping, solder and double shrink tube.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/56146.html
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 03-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.