Thread: Key Fiasco

Spyder Garage

Default Key Fiasco

Sounds Simple Enough.
    Dealer says CannedHam is not changing DESS modules anymore, they are just cutting and reprogramming a new key.
    Since the DESS thing had reared it's ugly head. My dealer, bless his heart, threw, my 2 original keys and the recut one ,
    together in my glove box. So. I have 2 look identical, unused keys.
    One has to be right, right? Beautiful day, mid 70s, so I finally get my freshly serviced RT on the road.
    It runs great. Shut it off a couple times different places, no problem.
    The I stop for fuel on the way home. Unlatch the seat, no problem. Try to turn switch after that. NO GO
    NO LEFT, NO RIGHT, Cannot REMOVE. I am screwed.
    Luckily in a convenience store parking lot. Buy wD40, douche switch and key, REALLY DOUCHE.... wiggle, pull, curse curse, wiggle pull.
    I get key out. SO how do I get home. I try key just for ignition. Works like a champ.
    Get home, open frunk to stow helmet, YUP... key frozen rigid in tumblers. Of course parking brake set, I am really ticked now, and after a half hour of douch wiggle pull curse, it comes out.
    I call dealer "oh we never have any problems with the guy that cuts our keys. Well, guess what ..I didn't deliver my Ryde to them sith a"defective" ignition switch. I gotta trailer down there. TOmorrow, too busy 1st of the week.
    almost 30k fpr a machine that won't start like it ought to, with a goofy security system? A dealer that doesn't test EVERY FUNCTION OF A NEW KEY. I love my spyder, I really do. But it's too quirky, and with the sketchy dealer network, that they refuse to adequately publicize. The high way is a scary place on one of these. If I had any place I HAD to be, I would be better on a Wingtrike, nowhere near as fun, but a big sight more reliable. with a real dealer network.
    I'll be hot again tomorrow early as I load trailer to make the 4 hr window MY Special Dealer is open. But I won't post anymore negs.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Just went through this with a Ford superduty that didn't have a key. Surprisingly Ford couldn't tell if it had a chip key or not so we cut the cheap key first, which worked fine, they chip key we needed wouldn't work at all. Ford wanted to sell us a new ignition which didn't make sense because the first one worked fine, long story short, after several attempts they realized the machine was not adjusted properly. If it worked before, it will work with a new key, unless it was damaged with the bad key.
    2015 Rt S Se

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be livid if that happened to me. All this modern technocrap needs to be pared down to what's truly necessary. BRP would do well to make certain features like the DESS an option. I wonder how many of us in here would choose not to have the DESS if we were either buying again, or could have it removed.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony 44 View Post
    Just went through this with a Ford superduty that didn't have a key.

This really worries me. I love my 2003 F250 Superduty, but the day that I have to buy a new one, will it have a key?? I WILL NOT own a truck without a plain, mechanical key!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Sounds Simple Enough.
    Dealer says CannedHam is not changing DESS modules anymore, they are just cutting and reprogramming a new key.
    Since the DESS thing had reared it's ugly head. My dealer, bless his heart, threw, my 2 original keys and the recut one ,
    together in my glove box. So. I have 2 look identical, unused keys.
    One has to be right, right? Beautiful day, mid 70s, so I finally get my freshly serviced RT on the road.
    It runs great. Shut it off a couple times different places, no problem.
    The I stop for fuel on the way home. Unlatch the seat, no problem. Try to turn switch after that. NO GO
    NO LEFT, NO RIGHT, Cannot REMOVE. I am screwed.
    Luckily in a convenience store parking lot. Buy wD40, douche switch and key, REALLY DOUCHE.... wiggle, pull, curse curse, wiggle pull.
    I get key out. SO how do I get home. I try key just for ignition. Works like a champ.
    Get home, open frunk to stow helmet, YUP... key frozen rigid in tumblers. Of course parking brake set, I am really ticked now, and after a half hour of douch wiggle pull curse, it comes out.
    I call dealer "oh we never have any problems with the guy that cuts our keys. Well, guess what ..I didn't deliver my Ryde to them sith a"defective" ignition switch. I gotta trailer down there. TOmorrow, too busy 1st of the week.
    almost 30k fpr a machine that won't start like it ought to, with a goofy security system? A dealer that doesn't test EVERY FUNCTION OF A NEW KEY. I love my spyder, I really do. But it's too quirky, and with the sketchy dealer network, that they refuse to adequately publicize. The high way is a scary place on one of these. If I had any place I HAD to be, I would be better on a Wingtrike, nowhere near as fun, but a big sight more reliable. with a real dealer network.
    I'll be hot again tomorrow early as I load trailer to make the 4 hr window MY Special Dealer is open. But I won't post anymore negs.
    This and the lack of dealers, along with crappy tires took me back to Harley-Davidson. Loved the RTL. Did not love the lack of support.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First off I think you mean douse not douche. This kind of thing can, and does,happen with any brand of motorcycle or car. Joe was missing the spare key for his KTM, he ordered one and they called to say that it was in. He asked if he needed to bring in the other keys and they said no, they didn't event need his bike. I drove there to pick up the keys drove home and when Joe tested them they didn't work. I knew they wouldn't but they insisted they would. Oh well another trip to the dealer and an hour's wait and all of his keys now work. There are probably fewer KTM dealers around the country than there are Spyder dealers but that doesn't stop us from going cross country on our bikes.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    This really worries me. I love my 2003 F250 Superduty, but the day that I have to buy a new one, will it have a key?? I WILL NOT own a truck without a plain, mechanical key!
    This was for an 08, the original key was lost in transport so they cut the replacements from the vin, the hoops to jump through to prove ownership was fun too.
    2015 Rt S Se

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;1225102]First off I think you mean douse not douche.

If I was throwing wd at the key it would be "douse" but since I was forcing it under pressure
    into the key slot.... well I stand by my spelling.

AS an update, hauled RT into dealer today. I'm telling service writer what's up, and a couple
    other little things. I'm going on, and he is looking at his "screen"

Aren't you gonna' write any of this down? I ask

"Why? I'm listening aren't I " I am about fed up.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=4 MARIE;1225284]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First off I think you mean douse not douche.

If I was throwing wd at the key it would be "douse" but since I was forcing it under pressure
    into the key slot.... well I stand by my spelling.

AS an update, hauled RT into dealer today. I'm telling service writer what's up, and a couple

Do you have any other dealers you can go to? We have 3 in Las Vegas but only 1 that I will let touch my Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post

I think that the cavalier attitude displayed by the service writer is an insult... I'd discuss it with the owner of the shop.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

douche
    do͞oSH/
    noun

a shower of water.
      "a daily douche"
      NORTH AMERICAN informal
      an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
      "that guy is such a douche"

Last edited by armyspydervet; 02-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    douche
    do͞oSH/
    noun

a shower of water.
      "a daily douche"
      NORTH AMERICAN informal
      an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
      "that guy is such a douche"

You asked for it...

Now can we get back to the "key" issue in this thread?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black