Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Post 2011 RT losing clutch fluid - any ideas?

I am losing clutch fluid every time I ride my 2011 Can Am RT Spyder. When it's parked, there's no fluid on the ground to show where may it be going. lol Thanks Brian
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

when it is parked, depress the clutch and see if you can see a leak. might be a loose fitting
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

slave cylinder could be leaking internally.

Spyder Garage

2012 RT with the clutch lever.

I think I have the SM5? The one with the clutch lever. Mine leaked on the right side under the clutch housing where the piston slides back and forth about 1/4 of an inch. The O-rings were worn out. I fixed it myself, and I posted it all here somewhere ... (which type of cycle do you have?)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Moved Post title; Caps; & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    2012 RT with the clutch lever.

I think I have the SM5? The one with the clutch lever. Mine leaked on the right side under the clutch housing where the piston slides back and forth about 1/4 of an inch. The O-rings were worn out. I fixed it myself, and I posted it all here somewhere ... (which type of cycle do you have?)

I agree, my 2012 did the same thing, the 'O' rings are shot.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Clutch fluid is drawn into the engine

Clutch Problems

This is information I have gathered from past posts on the clutch problem.
    Clutch fluid is drawn into the engine past the worn O rings.
    I bought and stored a set of 'O' Rings as my SM5 system responded well to flushing and adding fluid.

Past post notes:

Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Section #5 Diaphagm Cover of the OEM parts listing
    Orings – 10, 11, 13

p/n 420431441
    p/n 420431301
    p/n 420631892

Look up 2013 -5 service bulletin in the forum
    I'm guessing that your slave cylinder is failing. This is a recurring problem that is being investigated. You will have to replace the slave piston & O-rings, and the slave bushing (cylinder) and O-rings. Cost of parts is about $80 if it is out of warranty. You will recognize the problem by discolored clutch fluid, due the the aluminum that is sluffed off the slave cylinder as it wears, and the deterioration of the O-rings. Be sure to thoroughly flush the clutch system when you do the work. If the clutch fluid is clear, the first place I would look is warped clutch plates, as Lamont said. There is a newly revised clutch pack available, with steel plates and 5 plates/discs. Be sure they order the one for the SM...the SE clutch kit is different.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

My extended service is good till March 14, 2017. Would it be covered? It only has 3700 miles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Is there a part number for this kit? And where can I get it from

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I think I have the r-s-5 ? the one with the clutch lever , mine leaked on the right side under the clutch housing where the piston slides back and forth about 1/4 of an inch , the O-rings were wore out , fixed myself , I posted it all here some where ... { which type cycle do you have ? }
    I have a 2011 RT and can not find rebuild kit, can u help?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Alice you might try looking here if you know what you need. https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...ster-sm5-parts This is if you have an SM5 2011RT
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I need the o-ring clutch rebuild kit like u did. But no dont know the name or how to look for it. Can am dealership wants 250 for the whole kit, not rebuild

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I need the o-ring clutch rebuild kit like u did. But no dont know the name or how to look for it. Can am dealership wants 250 for the whole kit, not rebuild
    Try here... https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...iaphragm-cover You can see all the parts and need the Orings. Price is on there as well and better that BRP but all parts a OEM...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Try here... https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...iaphragm-cover You can see all the parts and need the Orings. Price is on there as well and better that BRP but all parts a OEM...
    Thank u checking it out now(sent to mechanic)