Spyder Garage

Default advice /opinions

HI All.
    Just looking for advise and opinions, Getting a new rts in a couple of weeks(had 998 to try for 6mts loved it so splashing out on the 1330). I know that the first service is due at 3000 miles,am going touring Switzerland and France in Late June, and expect to cover about 2500 miles, hope to do a 1500+ before we go weather permitting so A:Would you have a service before i do my europe trip, or B:Wait till i return, i am leaning towards A EVEN IF I ONLY HAVE 1500 MILES ON IT.
    cheers Nasty (England)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully: I'd wait for the service.

The 1330s seem to require very little at the initial servicing, and they seem to burn almost NO oil at all...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nasty View Post
    HI All.
    Just looking for advise and opinions, Getting a new rts in a couple of weeks(had 998 to try for 6mts loved it so splashing out on the 1330). I know that the first service is due at 3000 miles,am going touring Switzerland and France in Late June, and expect to cover about 2500 miles, hope to do a 1500+ before we go weather permitting so A:Would you have a service before i do my europe trip, or B:Wait till i return, i am leaning towards A EVEN IF I ONLY HAVE 1500 MILES ON IT.
    cheers Nasty (England)
    I would do the service early.There are a lot of checks and adjustments done at that time due to break-in.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HI All.
    cheers Nasty (England)
    It all depends. If there are no issues with your first 1500 miles, I would probably wait until after the Europe trip. But, sometimes there are things that arise on a new machine that need to be adjusted. Belt tension comes to mind. At my first service, they adjusted the belt, and it got rid of a nasty vibration that I had around 72 mph. If there is no vibration, or other issues, then I would wait. If there are any issues or concerns, then I would take it in for service.
    One thing that my bike had, that I never noticed until I installed new tires was that the front tires were way out of balance. When I installed new rims (F3 rims), and had new tires mounted and balanced on them, it was like I had a whole new bike. I never knew how good this thing was until getting the right balanced tires on the bike.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If you get 1500 miles on it before you start out on a 2500 mile trip you will end up being 1,000 miles or so beyond what is recommended, my advice would be to get it done before you start out on the 2500 mile trip.

better to do it early than late

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default advice,

Cheers for the comments and replies so far it's two all, will see if any one else gives advice.
    Thanks
    nasty

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Early

The first service is done to really see if there are any issues with the set up of the machine. They look at the oil for any issues and give the machine an overall once over! I think mine cost about $400.00 and you will know that you are good to go for that long trip!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

The 3000 mile is a suggested point. Give or take you are fine. Now if you are going to store the spyder till the tour and have 1500+ mile on her, I would go ahead and do the service early and have her ready to go. If you will be ryding all along, weather permitting, I would wait till you return. considering they recommend oil changes every 9,300 miles or once an year, oil will not be a problem. The other checks are for break in and proper function, which you would know before the 1500 you expect to have by trip time...still your choice. Should be an amazing trip...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Opinion--I agree w/- Cruzr Joe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SERVICE ...ETC

HI All.
    cheers Nasty (England)
    I'm a DIY'er, imho, most of the metal debris you will find in a new engine is going to show up in the Beginning .... so an early oil & filter is to your benefit ... then have one done 9300 later ..... The BRP alignment sucks .... If you can get a ROLO Lazer alignment it's very worth it ....BRP's isn't .... Twist the belt by hand , if you can turn it half-way you are OK - lose is better, you are less likely to have vibrations, and much less likely to damage shaft bearings ..... have a great time ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Another vote for earlier service. If an issue has come up or is going to, better to get it taken care of earlier. After the initial break-in service at 3,500 you can go another 9,500 or one year whichever comes first before the next service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I also would lean towards the early service. As has been said, it gives the mechanic a chance to review all the things that *could* have been missed or changed since the build / in service date.

I'd consider it like this: what's the downside of doing it early? You spend the money earlier.
    What's the downside of putting it off? You may have missed something that could do damage to your machine. And, I absolutely agree with the ROLO alignment before you go.

Ride safe!

Jim

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

Default advice

Thanks for all the replies, looks like i will go for the early service, would love to do the ROLO alignment but i don,t think there is anyone in the UK (England) to do this , unless you wise people out there know different.
    cheers
    nasty