Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Air pump. 2012 RT lIMITED

Air pump makes am occasional hell of a racket. Let all the air out on the Schrader valve and thought it would stay quiet if there was no call for adjustment. Doesn't seem to want to co operate. So I get this sorry ratchet sound which is really embarrassing. I'm thinking there should be a way to either disconnect the wiring or clip a hot wire without any harm. What do you think.
    Bob in Florida.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobw2000 View Post
    Air pump makes am occasional hell of a racket. Let all the air out on the Schrader valve and thought it would stay quiet if there was no call for adjustment. Doesn't seem to want to co operate. So I get this sorry ratchet sound which is really embarrassing. I'm thinking there should be a way to either disconnect the wiring or clip a hot wire without any harm. What do you think.
    Bob in Florida.
    Disconnect the relay that powers the air pump on my bike it is R4

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

check with your dealer about the compressor. They were having some problems with them but don't remember the years... but or the compressor itself or maybe the sensor that tell it when to level the spyder....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    check with your dealer about the compressor. They were having some problems with them but don't remember the years... but or the compressor itself or maybe the sensor that tell it when to level the spyder....
    Took it to the dealer ... wasn't too happy with a $700 bill for changing everything out. As far as I'm concerned that air pump item is so close to useless it's not needed.

Thank you for your input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Disconnect the relay that powers the air pump on my bike it is R4
    Looks like a good idea .... still lookin for the R4. Have to hit it in the morning as it is around midnight here atm. Thanks again for your input...
    Book says R1 .... it is clearly designated on the relay itself. So.... pulled R1 ... put 85# in the bladder for safety. Looks like I'm good till O decide my final fix...... thanks again.
    Last edited by bobw2000; 02-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobw2000 View Post
    Looks like a good idea .... still lookin for the R4. Have to hit it in the morning as it is around midnight here atm. Thanks again for your input...
    If you still have an extended warranty you could have it changed mine is being changed as we speak no charge
    Last edited by jtoro1; 02-08-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    If you still have an extended warranty you could have a changed mine is being changed as we speak no charge
    LOL ... that would be nice. Since I have 37000 miles on this old 2012 ( it has been good to me ) and no extended I'm lookin cheap

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that show you how to replace the BRP compressor with an after-market unit. One video by Doc and one by me. Take a look at them if you want a project.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Cool

I just changed mine on 2012 rt and it was easy if you watch the videos. I got a new aftermarket pump on ebay for $65. It's a viair 98c.
    Give it a try

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could convert it to a manual system or replace the compressor. Problem is the spring on the shock isn't very strong and you need the air bag to help hold the back end up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

If you dont want to spend the big bucks on having it replaced change it back to manual and air it up at the shrade valve, cost about .15 cents worth of hose.
    Just run a line from the shrade valve under seat to air bag. Mine is done and I did a friends, both 2012 RTL , they hold air good and no more problems. I just set the air pressure at 85# for riding double and only have to check it once a year. Its your call.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default Try this?

http://www.bakerbuiltairwings.com/pr...?prod=SPYRTIAS

Not sure if this would be of help but maybe worth looking into? Feel free to email us if you have any questions sales@bakerbuiltairwings.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    If you dont want to spend the big bucks on having it replaced change it back to manual and air it up at the shrade valve, cost about .15 cents worth of hose.
    Just run a line from the shrade valve under seat to air bag. Mine is done and I did a friends, both 2012 RTL , they hold air good and no more problems. I just set the air pressure at 85# for riding double and only have to check it once a year. Its your call.
    Roger
    I was thinking the same thing.Still would have to pull the R1 relay I am assuming as that is the one my manual is showing.
    Nice looking bike by the way. Like the foot panels alot. Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You could convert it to a manual system or replace the compressor. Problem is the spring on the shock isn't very strong and you need the air bag to help hold the back end up.
    Thank you for your insight....every little bit helps...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post

Not sure if this would be of help but maybe worth looking into? Feel free to email us if you have any questions sales@bakerbuiltairwings.com
    Thank you.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default install instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post

I would like to read the install instructions on the RTS & RTL that have the factory air systems...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I would like to read the install instructions on the RTS & RTL that have the factory air systems...
    Here are the flyers and installation instructions for the Spyder Air System that we have. I was confused by your comment and unsure if you was asking to see our install instructions on this item or someone else. If not disregard this comment. Thank you.

instant air.jpg instant air 2.jpg instant air 4.jpg instant air 5.jpg instant air 3.jpg

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Heard from a good friend and fellow Spyderryder that it is normal for a manual fill system to lose air. He has an F3Ltd. They were trying to figure out why it was loosing air in between rydes. Come to find that is normal. So, every time they get ready to ryde they have to pull the seat and air it up. Not very happy, especially when they found out BRP wanted $700 to fix the problem by retrofitting a compressor and the controls for the auto fill air ryde. I would think twice about going manual.

Also, I installed the aftermarket Viair 98C compressor last year and I couldn't be happier. I also installed a Air Ryde Rock Armour cup on the bottom of the airbag to keep rocks from piercing it. This is a standard problem and hard to diagnose. The dealer usually just replaces the compressor and it eventually burns out again. What happened to me.

I fixed a pinhole puncture of the bottom of the airbag by pouring 4oz of green slime in the inlet with the bag off of the byke. No danger that way of getting any of the slime in the pump. Still holds air almost 1 year later.

If anyone wants to see the ARRA we have it on the website.

http://roadsterrenovations.info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kamper View Post
    I just changed mine on 2012 rt and it was easy if you watch the videos. I got a new aftermarket pump on ebay for $65. It's a viair 98c.
    Give it a try
    OK... was that t he only thing you replaced for the fix?