Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited Trailer Wiring Question

I have a 2014 RT Limited. Dealer just installed the BRP hitch and BRP trailer wiring with the 4 pin square plug. I have a trailer with 5 pin plug - separate turn and brake lights. Trying to figure out the wiring pattern on the 4 pin square so I can connect the 4 pin to 5 pin C56196 (etrailer) adapter correctly. I used a voltmeter, but it gave me weird readings. I am assuming the male pin on the 4 pin plug on the bike is the ground. What are the three female pins for? Thanks. Also - do I need the tail light isolating diodes (etrailer 48955) since the bike wiring is already isolated?
    Last edited by Ray L; 02-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

The BRP harness is isolated. So you can short out the trailer wiring and the Spyder lights will not be affected.

The brake lights are combined with the turn signals on the Spyder harness. Since your trailer is 5 wire. That means separate amber turn signal lights. So you need to rewire your trailer to match most trailers on the road. You need to abandon the amber turn signals. Separate the the right and left rear brake lights. Then you can change them into combined turn/brake lights.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks. For $19.99 I can get a converter from eTrailer that converts the combined turn signal/brake lights to separate turn signal and brake light circuits. I was looking for a diagram that shows what each pin on the BRP square plug is for so I can hook up the converter correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The BRP harness is isolated. So you can short out the trailer wiring and the Spyder lights will not be affected.

The brake lights are combined with the turn signals on the Spyder harness. Since your trailer is 5 wire. That means separate amber turn signal lights. So you need to rewire your trailer to match most trailers on the road. You need to abandon the amber turn signals. Separate the the right and left rear brake lights. Then you can change them into combined turn/brake lights.

Spyder Garage

Spyder yellow (stop/right turn) to converter yellow (stop/right turn) input
    Spyder green (stop/left turn) to converter green (stop/left turn) input
    Spyder white (ground) to converter white (ground), plus bypass converter to trailer ground.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Fantastic. Trailer is here. Hitch and wiring put on today. Converter is ordered. I will get it all installed this weekend. Looking forward to a long trip in a couple of months, when the weather gets warmer.

Spyder white (ground) to converter white (ground), plus bypass converter to trailer ground.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YELLOW is left turn & stop light...
    Green is right turn & stop light...

The way I remember this, left turn; abbreviation for yellow...YEL then just spell, YELEFT
    The way I remember this, right turn; abbreviation for green...GR, then just spell, GRIGHT

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It will cost more ($79.95), but Big Bike Parts makes a harness for the RT that is designed for 5-pin trailers like yours, and it isolates the bike wiring like the BRP model. I use one on my Aluma trailer (5 pin flat connector). Part 41-162.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ray L View Post
    Thanks. For $19.99 I can get a converter from eTrailer that converts the combined turn signal/brake lights to separate turn signal and brake light circuits. I was looking for a diagram that shows what each pin on the BRP square plug is for so I can hook up the converter correctly.

do you have a part numberor item number for the converter?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4boywonder6 View Post
    do you have a part numberor item number for the converter?
    They have 2 of them.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...dy/118158.html
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C56196.html

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

can you just move the amber lights to the running lite wire and hook the red lites to brake/signal

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

can you just move the amber lights to the running lite wire and hook the red lites to brake/signal
    I wouldn't try that - most states (all states?) do not allow amber running lights in the rear. Amber running lights are used in front, red in back.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

You cannot have amber tail running lights. The brakes lights is one wire running to both lights. Brake/signal lights are on 2 wires, a left and right.

2018 F3 LIMITED