Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 GPS/Cell Phone Mount Options

Fellow F3'ers:

I've been deliberating about a GPS mount for my F3S...just wondering what some of you guys and gals are running?

The "no-brainer" option is the Can Am mount for the Garmin 590 unit (Can Am Part # 219400681).

Just wondering if anyone had a simpler option (i.e. something akin to the Techmount unit available for the RS/RS-S)?

Any and all feedback welcome. Thanks!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default my handiwork

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx

I bought this ball mount for my F3s and it works like a charm. I like my GPS centered and out of my way. I custom fabricated an aluminum holder pictured on a previous bike. I wired it by adding an outdoor 12v outlet connected to the customer service accessory wire located under the left service panel where you (are supposed) look at the safety card.

Spyder Garage
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx

I bought this ball mount for my F3s and it works like a charm. I like my GPS centered and out of my way. I custom fabricated an aluminum holder pictured on a previous bike. I wired it by adding an outdoor 12v outlet connected to the customer service accessory wire located under the left service panel where you (are supposed) look at the safety card.
    Looks like a good setup!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikind7 View Post

I like it! Simplistic and to the point (and not terribly expensive).

Spyder Garage

Have a read of this thread to see the RAM mount and X-Grip I have installed on one the handlebar bolts. Works really well for smartphone as a sat nav:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...and-Ram-X-Grip
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Have a read of this thread to see the RAM mount and X-Grip I have installed on one the handlebar bolts. Works really well for smartphone as a sat nav:

Looks really clean!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA F3S View Post
    Fellow F3'ers:

I've been deliberating about a GPS mount for my F3S...just wondering what some of you guys and gals are running?

The "no-brainer" option is the Can Am mount for the Garmin 590 unit (Can Am Part # 219400681).

Just wondering if anyone had a simpler option (i.e. something akin to the Techmount unit available for the RS/RS-S)?

This is the one I installed on my wife's F3S works well with the Garmin Zumo 660 or 590 series cradle mounts.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamonster-f3-gps-mount/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Shooter
    972-467-8077

Spyder Garage

Looks really clean!
    It is, saw a photo on another members bike (JC Thorne I think) and I really liked the look of it.

Presonally I don't see the value in a Garmin when google give me directions on my phone for free and it even includes live traffic. Modern phones are even waterproof and at least as big a screen as a dedicated GPS unit.

The only way the Garmin wins is you can operate the screen with proper bike gloves on and the wiring is neater. Depends on how much you value that really?
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring is also to be considerd

Fellow F3'ers:

Another thing to consider is how are you going to wire your toys. Too many toys......GPS, Cell, Electric Vest etc...... need juice. Dont think your just going to "splice" into the system. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Another thing to consider is how are you going to wire your toys. Too many toys......GPS, Cell, Electric Vest etc...... need juice. Dont think your just going to "splice" into the system. My thoughts.
    I have a 2 port USB socket mounted in the left hand switch hole to the side of the ignition key, connected to the accessory circuit on that side. I run my phone off that and it gives enough power to keep it topped up while running google navigation.

That's it for electrical extras on mine.

Spyder Garage

I installed the FZ Fuse box to run all my electrical add on farkles. It keeps from having too many wires hanging off the battery terminals. I also added Deutsche connectors to the 3 BRP supplied customer accessory wires. Those accessory ports are hot only with the key on and running. The GPS port, is hot with key turned on.

Left inspection cover
    20170121_180818.jpg

FZ Fuse Block (You can purchase from TricLED)
    20170121_180833.jpg

Under the F3T seat
    20161217_123522.jpg

GPS
    20170108_160702.jpg
    Last edited by KJWEB; 02-01-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Here is my setup for cell phone and gps.

A - Lamonster top clamp
    B - Lamonster GPS Swivel Plate
    C - Lamonster Power Port Plate
    D - Providence-Spyder Accessories Dual USB Power Port
    E - Garmin Zumo 660 Docking Station
    F - Kradlelock

www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default AMPS?

I have a 2 port USB socket mounted in the left hand switch hole to the side of the ignition key, connected to the accessory circuit on that side. I run my phone off that and it gives enough power to keep it topped up while running google navigation.

That's it for electrical extras on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    I installed the FZ Fuse box to run all my electrical add on farkles. It keeps from having too many wires hanging off the battery terminals. I also added Deutsche connectors to the 3 BRP supplied customer accessory wires. Those accessory ports are hot only with the key on and running. The GPS port, is hot with key turned on.

Left inspection cover
    20170121_180818.jpg

FZ Fuse Block (You can purchase from TricLED)
    20170121_180833.jpg

Under the F3T seat
    20161217_123522.jpg

GPS
    20170108_160702.jpg

Here's my frustration. You can hook up as many toys as you like as long as the power (AMPS?) are within the range of the outlet you are plugged into. I do not know enough about the Spyders electrical system to play around with any type of multi-plug system. My GPS is fine on the mid-located customer line provided by Can-Am. If I choose to add a heated vest I'll utilize the rear line under the passenger seat. Adding things is fun till you fry something. I'm nervous about playing with the electrical system after I found a YouTube dealership talking about Farkle causing issues.
    Here's the link.

There are many more discussing electrical issues generated by ..........Farkle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    This is the one I installed on my wife's F3S works well with the Garmin Zumo 660 or 590 series cradle mounts.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamonster-f3-gps-mount/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Another vote for the Lamonster unit...it DOES look good.

Spyder Garage

It is, saw a photo on another members bike (JC Thorne I think) and I really liked the look of it.

Presonally I don't see the value in a Garmin when google give me directions on my phone for free and it even includes live traffic. Modern phones are even waterproof and at least as big a screen as a dedicated GPS unit.

The only way the Garmin wins is you can operate the screen with proper bike gloves on and the wiring is neater. Depends on how much you value that really?

Definitely valid points. My cell phone was my go to GPS on my RS-S (as it is in my truck, as well).

Spyder Garage

Road-Kill, I'd keep it clean...just the GPS in terms of ancillary electronics. I'm old school on the clothing front: layers, layers, and MORE layers when the mercury drops

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    Here is my setup for cell phone and gps.

A - Lamonster top clamp
    B - Lamonster GPS Swivel Plate
    C - Lamonster Power Port Plate
    D - Providence-Spyder Accessories Dual USB Power Port
    E - Garmin Zumo 660 Docking Station
    F - Kradlelock

Doesn't look cluttered. You've got a good setup there!

Spyder Garage

Talking Ram X-Grip for F3

UCLA F3S and fellow F3 Ryders,

I thought I'd provide some additional details for those who are looking for options to mount their phones.

I don't use a stand-alone GPS as I'd rather use my iPhone7 and Google Maps and save some money (we'll see how that works). I liked monkeyboymorton's iPhone holder set-up and after researching it, I thought it would fit the bill. The differences between the Leader Motorcycle Mounting Bracket and the RAM X-Grip can be found on this thread:

I purchased from Value Accessories (http://www.valueaccessories.net) the following four items:

(These following items are pictured below)

ITEM
    #1. RAM "Large" Universal X Grip Holder w/ 1" ball Price: $27.95**
    #2. Rubber tether (optional item included with item #1-no additional cost)
    #3. RAM 1 3/4" Double Socket Arm (for 1" ball) Price: $12.85
    #4. Can-Am Spyder F3 RAM Mount Kit w/ 1" ball Price: $19.95

Shipping $7.75 // TOTAL Cost: $68.50

**I purchased item #1 "large" instead of the "regular" size because my iPhone7 Plus (with cover) was slightly larger than the "regular" dimensions--didn't want it to be too tight. So, I went with the "large" size. Measure your phone before ordering! Instructions on site will provide the info you need before ordering.

In the picture above you'll see how the Rubber Tether (item #2) is stretched over the 1" ball of the RAM X-Grip Holder (item #1) and the 4 corners of the back of the iPhone in order to provide an even more secure hold than the X-Grip alone provides. This was a nice feature because I don't have a windshield on my Spyder and I wanted a very secure holder for my iPhone.

For rugged outdoor use, the manufacturer recommended you add super glue or equivalent to secure the four rubber ends to the metal arms.
    I decided to take one off and had to pull quite hard to get it to release. After the rubber end came off, I added waterproof glue and put it back on; checking the other three I decided not to take them off. Instead, I added glue to the outside surface where the metal arms go into the rubber ends in order to help minimize any water accumulation and to help further secure the rubber ends.

Below is my iPhone7 Plus w/ case, secured with the Rubber Tether (note the corners).

Lord willing, Saturday, I plan on mounting
    the Can-Am Spyder F3 RAM Mount Kit w/ 1" ball (item #4) to my handlebars and then attaching one end of the Double Socket Arm (item #3) to the 1" ball. The opposite end of the Double Socket Arm will then be secured to the 1" ball of the RAM X-Grip, to hold my iPhone.

The only defect was a small scrape which removed some paint off the surface of the Mount Kit (item #4). I plan on touching this up with some black paint. I'd say the manufacturer would make good on this defect, but it's not worth it to me. Otherwise, all items arrived quickly and appear to be in good working order.

Will update you all soon.

Thanks to everyone's comments on this thread.

Okay...I'm back...Installed the remaining items (#3 and #4) and attached them to the RAM X-Grip Holder.

This is what the RAM X-Grip looks like installed from the front and side:

This product does bring the iPhone7 closer to the rider's view (helps me since I need glasses for up-close reading) and allows for various placements dependent upon other items affixed to or near the handlebars.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by 9tda1dr; 02-04-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Adding of additional pictures.
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Excellent write-up, cheers for sharing.

I didn't know about the rubber tether so that's interesting. My phone is in a very grippy gel case so it doesn't budge, but I can see that being useful if not in a case as modern phones are slippy.

I take on board the info from RAM about extreme outdoors use (as a typical man I don't think I even opened the instructions) but I haven't had any issues with the rubber holders coming off. So I don't think you'll have any issues not having re-glued them all.

Spyder Garage

Just pulled the trigger on the Lamonster F3 GPS mount...REALLY looks clean from the installed pictures I've seen. I'll be matching it to a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS unit. Looks like a great setup on the Lamonster webpage.

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Ufit GPS Mount

Newby here. Just purchased a 2017 F3 Limited and looking at GPS mounting options.

Does anybody know if the F3 Ufit GPS mount swivels like the Lamonster one or is fixed in one position?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Got the Lamonster GPS mount/Garmin Zumo 660 combo installed today. REALLY liked the way it turned out!

No obstruction of the gauge cluster...everything is wired clean/neat. Got the Zumo paired to both my phone and Sena headset no problem. Pictures below:

20170209_193351.jpg20170209_193402.jpg20170209_193418.jpg20170209_193843.jpg20170209_193853.jpg

Spyder Garage

Got the Lamonster GPS mount/Garmin Zumo 660 combo installed today. REALLY liked the way it turned out!

No obstruction of the gauge cluster...everything is wired clean/neat. Got the Zumo paired to both my phone and Sena headset no problem
    That looks realy neat. The Lamonster setup does look like the best way to mount a Garmin.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will admit that I was anti-GPS for a long time. Why would I spend money on a GPS for my motorcycle (now Spyder) when I could use my phone I told myself. Then I moved to Virgina. On weekends, I like to go get lost in the backroads of VA and West VA. Phones work great when you have signal. They even work decent when you don't have a signal...until you need to recalculate a route. I broke down and bought the Garmin Zumo 395LM. It was pretty expensive, but not as much as the bigger model. I have come to appreciate it and use it in conjunction with my iPhone. It makes suggestions on routes for motorcycles, tracks my fuel mileage, tells me when I enter a state that has a motorcycle helmet law (not that I take it off but its nice to know), and tells me distance to next gas station.

Was it worth the price? That's all relative and subjective. I can't answer that for you. What I will tell you, is having both the GPS and the phone has been invaluable to me and my riding style...just my two cents worth; and it didn't even cost you two cents
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6