Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor

Spyder Garage

Default Compressor

Just wondering, have others had compressor problems (2014 RTL SE6).
    Had to put mine in the shop (under warranty thankfully) and have the compressor replaced at 23,000 miles. Man, when the compressor goes out, you'd think the whole underneath is ripping apart. It sounds terrible!

Any way, just wondering how common this is?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

It's fairly common.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree. It was a nightmare with mine. I ended up replacing it with an aftermarket and found the cause for the previous 2 compressor failures (that the dealer missed) was a pinhole leak on the bottom of the airbag. I used Green Slime in the bag and developed a cover for the bottom of the airbag we called, "Air Ryde Rock Armour". Might want them to really check the airbag (it has to be removed and bench tested to find the leak). Here are a couple of videos if you are interested.

Hope they get it fixed correctly!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. After watching the videos, I'm glad I have warranty. It looks a lot more involved than I want to risk. I hope the new compressor the shop put on lasts. Thanks for the links.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well, I'm back with compressor problems.
    I'm 99% sure my compressor that was replaced under warranty a few years ago in my 2014 RTL (1330) needs to be replaced again so I'm looking for where is the best place to order one (price)? Any suggestions. Dealership sales it for $370.

Spyder Garage

What aftermarket did you use for the. Compressor? Thanks

Spyder Garage

I have to ask you, how many time in a ride do you adjust the ride of your bike? How many times in a year do your change the setting of your bag? If the answers hardly never, then I would change it over to a manual fill set up, fill it from the schrader and forget it, just ride! That auto ride set up is a common problem. The check valve in the pump gets sticky, then the air will leak by and make the pump work over time and burn the pump out! happen to me two years ago, I gutted it and went straight from the schrader to the bag, with the air line, unhooked the power connections to the pump, and away we go! For me and my bride I put about 65-70 psi in the bag and off we go! If I was going to do a trip and load it down, then I would pump it up a bit! PM me if you want more help! Good Luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the compressor on my 2013 RT-S. I used Viair 95C since it draws the same amps as OE. It's been working perfectly ever since.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your advice. That sounds good. I've got to determine next if the bag is leaking and/or a line.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info. Where do you get Vair 95C?

Spyder Garage

If you want to replace the compressor, here is a detailed YouTube video of the procedure and parts for a 2011RTS:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5NR_LY7u8eY
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    Here you go. You will have to drill and tap new holes in order to reposition the check valve. Not difficult at all.

https://www.viaircorp.com/c-models/95c

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-95-Viai...omotive&sr=1-2
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-15-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Removed 24 volt version
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your advice. That sounds good. I've got to determine next if the bag is leaking and/or a line.
    I'm with Mikey. After my second compressor failure I did some checking. Turns out that, at least on my machine, BRP used a swiveling elbow fitting at the vent valve. So, where did it leak? At the swivel, of course. Re-routed the tubing to go from the air bag straight to the Schrader valve and disabled the system. Only needed a length of 1/4" tubing and an in-line connector. It will hold air pressure for months, and the mod can be done in an hour or two without major disassembly.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have to ask you, how many time in a ride do you adjust the ride of your bike? How many times in a year do your change the setting of your bag? If the answers hardly never, then I would change it over to a manual fill set up, fill it from the schrader and forget it, just ride! That auto ride set up is a common problem. The check valve in the pump gets sticky, then the air will leak by and make the pump work over time and burn the pump out! happen to me two years ago, I gutted it and went straight from the schrader to the bag, with the air line, unhooked the power connections to the pump, and away we go! For me and my bride I put about 65-70 psi in the bag and off we go! If I was going to do a trip and load it down, then I would pump it up a bit! PM me if you want more help! Good Luck!
    I agree completely with using the fill port under the seat. It's real easy and unless you have other problems it's amazing how few times you have to add air after that. Been doing it since the second failure of our 2014 system - years ago - and haven't had an issue since. We are riding 2 up. I put in 70 psi target pressure (maybe a little more for bleed off while removing the air supply line). That's it.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I agree completely with using the fill port under the seat. It's real easy and unless you have other problems it's amazing how few times you have to add air after that. Been doing it since the second failure of our 2014 system - years ago - and haven't had an issue since. We are riding 2 up. I put in 70 psi target pressure (maybe a little more for bleed off while removing the air supply line). That's it.
    I fill mine with the Schrader valve under the seat to about 70 - 75 psi and within a few days it is down to about 20 psi and stays there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I fill mine with the Schrader valve under the seat to about 70 - 75 psi and within a few days it is down to about 20 psi and stays there.
    Fill a bottle with some dish soap and water then start spraying till you find it.

Spyder Garage

I would try some soapy water and find the small leak you have, then you will hardly ever have to pump it up!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would try some soapy water and find the small leak you have, then you will hardly ever have to pump it up!
    Why would it leak down to 20 psi and then stay there?

Spyder Garage

Why would it leak down to 20 psi and then stay there?
    Isn't your Spyder a Ltd, that comes with a compressor, height levelling switch, and the 'Automatic' ACS?? If so, then it's probably the automatic bit doing its thing! The Spyder's ACS has a pre-set height static ride height & it'll automatically adjust the pressure to return the ride height to that pre-set, pretty much regardless of what ride height/pressure you might want in the air bag!

So you might pump it up to your preference, but as soon as you start riding, the ACS will start returning it to its pre-set ride height by increasing or dropping the air bag pressure!! If you have access to BUDS, or have a dealer who does & who knows how to use it, you can change the pre-set to something more to your liking!

If you don't have the 'Automatic' ACS, but instead have the basic 'Schraeder Valve Only' version, then it could be that you have some dirty 'press to fit' air line connectors that need cleaning; or possibly more likely, some pin-prick holes in the lower sides of the air bag caused by fine gravel being caught between the air bag & the seat below it & then grinding away holes over time, so that when you pump the air bag up, the holes open & start bleeding air out; only once the air pressure gets low enough & the bag collapses down onto its base/seat again, the tiny holes are sealed off by the weight of the Spyder pressing the sides of the air bag onto the flat metal seat below the bag. You MIGHT be able to fix this by adding a small squirt of Slime thru the Schraeder Valve, but only if you're SURE you have the manual single line system without the valves & compressor that could otherwise be clogged & rendered inoperable by forcing Slime into them! Otherwise, it's either live with it or it's time for a new air bag &/or air lines, connectors, etc.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Isn't your Spyder a Ltd, that comes with a compressor, height levelling switch, and the 'Automatic' ACS?? If so, then it's probably the automatic bit doing its thing! The Spyder's ACS has a pre-set height static ride height & it'll automatically adjust the pressure to return the ride height to that pre-set, pretty much regardless of what ride height/pressure you might want in the air bag!

So you might pump it up to your preference, but as soon as you start riding, the ACS will start returning it to its pre-set ride height by increasing or dropping the air bag pressure!! If you have access to BUDS, or have a dealer who does & who knows how to use it, you can change the pre-set to something more to your liking!

If you don't have the 'Automatic' ACS, but instead have the basic 'Schraeder Valve Only' version, then it could be that you have some dirty 'press to fit' air line connectors that need cleaning; or possibly more likely, some pin-prick holes in the lower sides of the air bag caused by fine gravel being caught between the air bag & the seat below it & then grinding away holes over time, so that when you pump the air bag up, the holes open & start bleeding air out; only once the air pressure gets low enough & the bag collapses down onto its base/seat again, the tiny holes are sealed off by the weight of the Spyder pressing the sides of the air bag onto the flat metal seat below the bag. You MIGHT be able to fix this by adding a small squirt of Slime thru the Schraeder Valve, but only if you're SURE you have the manual single line system without the valves & compressor that could otherwise be clogged & rendered inoperable by forcing Slime into them! Otherwise, it's either live with it or it's time for a new air bag &/or air lines, connectors, etc.

Good Luck!
    Thank you Peter.

Spyder Garage

I looked at the specs on this compressor and it says that it is 24 volts. I was expecting it to say 12 volts. My Spyder is a 2014 (I noticed yours is a 2013). Will this compressor that is a 24 volt compressor work on my 2014? Thanks again for advice.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the specs on this compressor and it says that it is 24 volts. I was expecting it to say 12 volts. My Spyder is a 2014 (I noticed yours is a 2013). Will this compressor that is a 24 volt compressor work on my 2014? Thanks again for advice.
    There is a 12v model and a 24v model of the 95c compressor. Here’s the manufacturers page. Yes, you want the 12v compressor. Just double check the numbers so that you order the correct part number from Amazon - 00095 and not 02495. Or 00094 if you want it in black. There are multiple listings that look similar.

https://www.viaircorp.com/c-models/95c

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Sorry my bad, Here is the 12 volt version

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-95-Viai...omotive&sr=1-2

Spyder Garage

Thŕnks again.