Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing aids

Spyder Garage

Default Hearing aids

For some of us who have lost most of their hearing, I have found a way to finally hear the radio on my RT. If you have hearing aids that are Bluetooth capable, I found that using a Sena SM10 unit that can make your Spyder radio wifi with various electronics also will work with bluetooth abled hearing aids. I have Phonak and it was a simple job to "pair" them with the SM10. I can now listned to the radio in clear without background noise. I also had the unit paired with the Sena helmet speakers but the hearing aid hook up is much better........

Spyder Garage

My hearing aids are about 10 years old so no bluetooth fuctionality so just wondering about how that works.

If you're connected to something via bluetooth does it disable the normal mic or do you get sound from both?

I was born with a 40% hearing loss. Normally I never wear hearing aids when riding. However that does mean I struggle hearing my cardo intercom despite having the larger speakers. They have a bluetooth option so maybe its time to replace my hearing aids.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    My hearing aids are about 10 years old so no bluetooth fuctionality so just wondering about how that works.

If you're connected to something via bluetooth does it disable the normal mic or do you get sound from both?

I was born with a 40% hearing loss. Normally I never wear hearing aids when riding. However that does mean I struggle hearing my cardo intercom despite having the larger speakers. They have a bluetooth option so maybe its time to replace my hearing aids.
    I have a different setup, so my aids don't connect directly to a bluetooth device, but I do have a device for my TV and for connecting to a phone that transmits to my HA. The one issue I have, which probably also affects the bluetooth enabled ones, is that when the TV sounds are coming in through the HAs, all other sounds are cut out. So when sitting around the house listening to TV I wear one hearing aid to listen to the TV and leave one out so I can hear some of the in room conversation.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Hearing aids

You need bluetooth hearing aids to connect to the SM10 device. I do not know if you can have more then one device at a time. You would have to ask Sena teck to answer that question.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I have a different setup, so my aids don't connect directly to a bluetooth device, but I do have a device for my TV and for connecting to a phone that transmits to my HA. The one issue I have, which probably also affects the bluetooth enabled ones, is that when the TV sounds are coming in through the HAs, all other sounds are cut out. So when sitting around the house listening to TV I wear one hearing aid to listen to the TV and leave one out so I can hear some of the in room conversation.
    If the bluetooth worked like that it would work well for riding a bike as it would cut out the background noise and let you just hear the GPS/Intercom.

Otherwise I could see it being a bit annoying, particularly for those around you when your watching TV:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    You need bluetooth hearing aids to connect to the SM10 device. I do not know if you can have more then one device at a time. You would have to ask Sena teck to answer that question.
    I've got the intercom mainly for navigation instructions/warnings from the GPS (and the beeper on my radar detector:-)). I've got a Garmin Zumo 590 GPS, this has Bluetooth which I currently use to connect to my Cardo Intercom.

I was thinking if I got Bluetooth hearing aids I wouldn't need the Cardo intercom when I just wanted the sound from the GPS. I often struggle to hear the GPS instructions over the background noise, but if it was through my hearing aids that would solve the problem.

Obviously I would still need to use the Cardo when I do need the intercom part, but that's normally when my daughters on the back and I have no problem hearing her:-)

I'll have to make a trip to the hearing aid shop to see what Bluetooth ones are available. I'm guessing the issue is that they get through batteries a lot quicker when in Bluetooth mode.

Spyder Garage

Default Mine is lost

Haven't seen the thing in over a year. I put it somewhere, just can't remember where. Even my lost items database (the wife) is at a loss as to its whereabouts.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have UNITRON hearing aids they are bluetooth, they work with my TV,
    they connect to my car, to my iPhone, and to thee SM10 they are Great
    Only drawback is when I put on my helmet they hurt the top of my ears
    where the unit goes behind my ears.

Spyder Garage

Default Hearing Aids

I've got the intercom mainly for navigation instructions/warnings from the GPS (and the beeper on my radar detector:-)). I've got a Garmin Zumo 590 GPS, this has Bluetooth which I currently use to connect to my Cardo Intercom.

I was thinking if I got Bluetooth hearing aids I wouldn't need the Cardo intercom when I just wanted the sound from the GPS. I often struggle to hear the GPS instructions over the background noise, but if it was through my hearing aids that would solve the problem.

Obviously I would still need to use the Cardo when I do need the intercom part, but that's normally when my daughters on the back and I have no problem hearing her:-)

I'll have to make a trip to the hearing aid shop to see what Bluetooth ones are available. I'm guessing the issue is that they get through batteries a lot quicker when in Bluetooth mode.
    My hearing aids ( Phonak ) doe's not use batteries any more then when used without Bluetooth. I use te Blutooth mode at least eight hours a day with various devices ( Ipod, computer and when I ride)..........

Spyder Garage

Default Hearing Aids

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have UNITRON hearing aids they are bluetooth, they work with my TV,
    they connect to my car, to my iPhone, and to thee SM10 they are Great
    Only drawback is when I put on my helmet they hurt the top of my ears
    I too had problems wearing my helmet with hearing aids, I hogged out a good amount fo the liner around the ears to accomdate the aids....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    ...Only drawback is when I put on my helmet they hurt the top of my ears
    I too had problems wearing my helmet with hearing aids, I hogged out a good amount fo the liner around the ears to accomdate the aids....
    I dropped a HA on concrete once when I was pulling off my helmet. Switched to in the ear aids when it was time to replace that set. There are some drawbacks to in the ear aids, but it may be worth considering if you are having some problems with your current set up.

Bluetooth hearing aids sounds interesting.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

For those that "pair" their hearings via Bluetooth can you do it directly or do you need some kind of dongle to do it? I wear Liberty HA's from Walmart and they require their dongle to pair to anything .
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

With the technology today, there are many options. Just do the research and choose the ones that fits your needs.
    Mine fit behind the ear, I wear a half helmet and can turn outside sound off so no wind or bike noise, just listen to music .

Spyder Garage

Default hearing aids

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    For those that "pair" their hearings via Bluetooth can you do it directly or do you need some kind of dongle to do it? I wear Liberty HA's from Walmart and they require their dongle to pair to anything .
    My phiinak hearing aids came with a pairing device (streaming) and it has pairing instructions on it as doe's the SM10.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I almost hate to ask.....but

My phiinak hearing aids came with a pairing device (streaming) and it has pairing instructions on it as doe's the SM10.....
    How much did the Phonaks (Phiinaks) set you back, if you don't mind my asking. I'm afraid I'm coming due for a pair of hearing aids and I'm not looking forward to it. I wear a modular helmet and I don't believe there's enough room for a behind the ear style aids. I'm sure I'd have to spring for the in the ear canal type. I'm sure they're boocoo bucks. I was with a gentleman when he lost one of his aids and his wife told me if I ever go that route make sure to insure them against loss.

Spyder Garage

I have the Siemens Bluetooth hearing aids. It uses a Bluetooth device called easy Tech. I can control certain features using the mobile application. I've been using the hearing aids when I ride. I found a soft polyester skull cap that comes down over my ears and isn't bulky. I can slide my modular helmet on and off without pulling my hearing aids off and it doesn't putting any pressure on my ears with the helmet on. Battery life on the hearing aids last 10 -12 days and I wear them 16 hours a day.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default hearing aids

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    How much did the Phonaks (Phiinaks) set you back, if you don't mind my asking. I'm afraid I'm coming due for a pair of hearing aids and I'm not looking forward to it. I wear a modular helmet and I don't believe there's enough room for a behind the ear style aids. I'm sure I'd have to spring for the in the ear canal type. I'm sure they're boocoo bucks. I was with a gentleman when he lost one of his aids and his wife told me if I ever go that route make sure to insure them against loss.
    I do not know the cost of the Phonaks, The VA fitted me up with them. I too use a modular and I had to cut some material around the ear area so my over the ear aids would fit....................

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guess I'll have to go in and try them on to see if they'll fit or drive me crazy. It wouldn't take much to make me certifiable.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If paring to your bike you will need a SENA SM10 and the cable to convert your radio system to BlueTooth
    I stock them $199.95
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a pair from Costco, I pair it to my phone. This allows for navigation, streaming of music and phone calls, all managed through the phone. The mike for phone calls normally hangs around the neck, I am working on embedding it in the helmet but I do not know that I want phone calls on the road. The other issue is listing to the wife. not sure I want to go there. BTW they work great, pricey but they work.

https://www.costco.com/rexton.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    Haven't seen the thing in over a year. I put it somewhere, just can't remember where. Even my lost items database (the wife) is at a loss as to its whereabouts.
    You might have to look for the "black hole" where your extra socks seem to end up!!!!
    2015 RT Ltd SE6
    Intense Red
    BaJa Ron Torsion Bar
    BaJa Ron Shock Adjusters
    Premium Driver Seat Back Rest
    Diamond R Spyder Armrests and cup holders
    Wheel Aligment Squared Away
    Trailer Hitch Value Accessories
    Harbor Freight trailer black
    Stebel Nautilus Compact Mini Black
    139 decibel air horn
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

For me, I prefer not to wear my hearing aids when I ride

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

I have no right hearing, and the left is going, but I find I don't wear my hearing aids while I ride. I have a SENA 20, sincs to my phone for GPS, phone calls and music. With the speaker in my full helmet, I have not had a problem hearing.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have my Sean pared with my phone for music and if the phone rings I can use it also, or call out. I realize that is the same device but it still works really well, I can hear everything very well.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I have the Starkey Halo hearing aids. They are made for iPhone hearing aids. They connect to my phone so phone calls and music play directly through the hearing aids. Also no buttons on the hearing aids, everything is controlled through the phone. Just triple click the home button on the phone and I can change modes, volume. There is also a car setting that can be set to automatically switch on above 15 mph. Geo tags work so that settings can be automatically switched by location.
    2014 RT Limited, Cognac (Wife's) Hand Brake, Heated Comfort Seat, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid.
    2014 RT-S, Cognac (Mine) Tri Axis Bars, Comfort Seat, BRP Backrest, iPhone Cable in Glove Box, Baja Ron Swaybar, Spyder Pop's BumpSkid, Spyder2go Drink Holder.