Spyder Garage

Default 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3s vs 2017 Harley Tri Glide Ultra

I posted this update yesterday to the Triketalk group. Many of the issues I have had with the F3s SM6 is that it has been difficult for me to get a really comfortable riding position. I had to add Can-Am floorboards, Cannonball seat, BRP rider backrest, grip puppies, F4 windshield and even an Airhawk seat cushion to deal with a chronic left hip injury. Anyway, I think fellow Spyder owners will get a kick out of the updated findings that I briefly reported on yesterday.

"What a couple of beautiful days in North Florida. Cool mornings and warm afternoons. High today was 79 degrees and I decided to take the 2017 TGU to the Gulf of Mexico and over to Apalachicola which is a quaint fishing village on the Gulf. Yesterday, I rode the 2015 Spyder down tree-lined secondary roads all the way to Live Oak, Florida. Both rides were about 200 miles in length.

There were so many impressions made by the two rides. The Can-Am has tons of torque/power and the power assist steering makes for relatively effortless steering in the twisties. The Can-Am is both powerful yet pretty quiet unless you make the 115 ponies bark with the loud handle. The ride on the Tri Glide was louder, more viby and even a bit more comfortable. I was struck by how mechanical sounding even this new M8-engined Harley is compared to the Can-Am. The Can-Am is also smoother over unlevel surfaces due to the independent suspension and reverse trike wheel position.

After the ride yesterday, I was wondering if I really needed two trikes. After today's ride, the answer remains, hell yes! They are both so different but so interesting in their own ways. They are complimentary rather than competitors in my eyes. I realized that for now, I would hate to sell the Can-Am. I don't think the Harley is even in my thoughts about such things although the constant loudness of the stock pipes got me to thinking about how agricultural Harleys still are in 2017. Anyway, riding both on successive days back to back was well worth the gas expended. The scenery was beautiful both inland and at the coast. Today, I did happen to see a couple of hawks, a couple of big pelicans and some other water birds on both rides. What fun!" Bob
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 01-26-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this perspective.
    One Question: Can you compare and contrast the handling of both bikes for us?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"the constant loudness of the stock pipes got me to thinking about how agricultural Harleys still are in 2017."

I don't understand this. Could you expound in it, please?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Handling and Sophistication

Bob, The F3's steering is significantly lighter due to the power assist steering. It also makes the Can-Am just a tad "twichier" than the Harley going down the road. The Spyder's front wheels allow for more precise cornering but I also find that I have to make more slight adjustments on the Spyder vs. the Tri Glide. One characteristic I don't like about the Spyder is that there is a tendency to get significant bump steer when you hit certain uneven levels of road and at times, I found it a bit unpredictable which direction the Spyder wants to travel after unloading its suspension on the off-level bumps. Long Acre Racing defines bump steer as "Bump Steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel. The undesirable steering is caused by bumps in the track interacting with improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages. Most car builders design their cars so that the effects of bump steer are minimal." The Spyder is somewhat less "giggly" on the road over uneven surfaces than the Tri Glide. The torque/power of the Spyder is much "gruntier" than the Harley.

PrarieSypder, The Harley makes a lot of noise and clatter for the relatively limited amount of horsepower/torque that it makes. The transmissions are like night and day. The Can-Am is smooth, effortless and not noisy whereas the Harley clunks in all the gears except first on the newest model and is at times difficult to find neutral. I used to be in General Aviation many years ago and almost would compare the engines of the two machines as the Rotax being a modern GA aircraft powerplant and the Harley being somewhere nearer to a Radial engine of yesteryear. The Rotax incorporates a fully functional water coolant system whereas the Harley uses a Hybrid water jacket system for the upper cylinder heads to reduce felt heat to the rider but is not nearly as effective in cooling down the engine. My predecessor 2016 Harley Tri Glide likely suffered from excessive heat and there have been anecdotal stories of cylinders loosing their roundness due to excess heat and failing leak-down tests on relatively low-mileage engines. The Can-Am Rotax 1330 is relatively maintenance free over a 50k operational cycle than the Harley which requires significantly more attention to maintenance items. That is why I opined that the Harley is more "agricultural". It works but gets you there with less finesse IMHO. However, having said that, I really love most of the clatter and mechanical sounds of the Harley. I am surprised that the stock mufflers meet the current noise requirements because they seem pretty loud to my ears and I generally wear a 3/4 helmet with foam ear plugs on either trike.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 01-26-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

They sound like 2 fantastic rides. Any pictures?
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the observation...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review....

From your discription you are happy with both. If one can why not. Enjoy them and time will tell which one you will favor but they are different rydes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Try some Air Wings.

Have you tried adding some Air Wings on either of those bikes? We have Air Wings available for both that could at least help keep you warm or cool depending on the weather conditions. If you haven't check us out online www.bakerbuiltairwings.com they just might help keep you comfortable while riding.

Spyder Garage

Good comparison.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    Have you tried adding some Air Wings on either of those bikes? We have Air Wings available for both that could at least help keep you warm or cool depending on the weather conditions. If you haven't check us out online www.bakerbuiltairwings.com they just might help keep you comfortable while riding.
    The F3s has air wings off the F4 windshield. The Harley has its own set of "air wings" that comes stock from the factory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Bob, The F3's steering is significantly lighter due to the power assist steering. It also makes the Can-Am just a tad "twichier" than the Harley going down the road. ...
    Have you had a laser alignment done on the F3? It has cured the twitchyness on a lot of Spyders.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Harley Trike

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Bob, The F3's steering is significantly lighter due to the power assist steering. It also makes the Can-Am just a tad "twichier" than the Harley going down the road. The Spyder's front wheels allow for more precise cornering but I also find that I have to make more slight adjustments on the Spyder vs. the Tri Glide. One characteristic I don't like about the Spyder is that there is a tendency to get significant bump steer when you hit certain uneven levels of road and at times, I found it a bit unpredictable which direction the Spyder wants to travel after unloading its suspension on the off-level bumps. Long Acre Racing defines bump steer as "Bump Steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel. The undesirable steering is caused by bumps in the track interacting with improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages. Most car builders design their cars so that the effects of bump steer are minimal." The Spyder is somewhat less "giggly" on the road over uneven surfaces than the Tri Glide. The torque/power of the Spyder is much "gruntier" than the Harley.

PrarieSypder, The Harley makes a lot of noise and clatter for the relatively limited amount of horsepower/torque that it makes. The transmissions are like night and day. The Can-Am is smooth, effortless and not noisy whereas the Harley clunks in all the gears except first on the newest model and is at times difficult to find neutral. I used to be in General Aviation many years ago and almost would compare the engines of the two machines as the Rotax being a modern GA aircraft powerplant and the Harley being somewhere nearer to a Radial engine of yesteryear. The Rotax incorporates a fully functional water coolant system whereas the Harley uses a Hybrid water jacket system for the upper cylinder heads to reduce felt heat to the rider but is not nearly as effective in cooling down the engine. My predecessor 2016 Harley Tri Glide likely suffered from excessive heat and there have been anecdotal stories of cylinders loosing their roundness due to excess heat and failing leak-down tests on relatively low-mileage engines. The Can-Am Rotax 1330 is relatively maintenance free over a 50k operational cycle than the Harley which requires significantly more attention to maintenance items. That is why I opined that the Harley is more "agricultural". It works but gets you there with less finesse IMHO. However, having said that, I really love most of the clatter and mechanical sounds of the Harley. I am surprised that the stock mufflers meet the current noise requirements because they seem pretty loud to my ears and I generally wear a 3/4 helmet with foam ear plugs on either trike.

Before I bought my Spyder I test rode a 2017 Harley Freewheeler. Additionally I rode my buddies 2016 Harley Trike. The winner was the Spyder! The Spyder offered ABS, Traction Control and an Almost Auto Transmission. The only thing going for the Harley was the feeling of being on a motorcycle. This was because the one wheel being up front vs the Spyder having two wheels up front. The Harley manual tranny shifted like a Harley......poorly. My 2 cents from riding both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Have you had a laser alignment done on the F3? It has cured the twitchyness on a lot of Spyders.
    I had Doc over in Southeast Georgia really dial in the alignment. The twitchiness I refer to is the sensitivity of the steering amped up by the power steering. My trike tracks like it is on rails with hands off the bars on a level road. It is the ryder input that causes my trike to be mildly twitchy. My Tri Glide steers like a truck and shows minor signs of twitchness but not nearly as much as the Spyder with the power assist steering. I think trikes have inherent twitchiness due to their three wheel designs and somewhat irrespective of where the two wheels are placed.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 01-31-2017 at 05:22 AM.