Spyder Garage

Default Breather hose size...

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but I did not want to break the use-once clamp on the breather hose to get a measurement - and I don't expect you too either .

What is the inside/outside diameter of that hose?

I plan to rig up a catch can like many have.

Thanks,

Pete

Spyder Garage

Don't know the size right off hand but it is NOT a use once clamp... at least mine are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ptoemmes View Post
    Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but I did not want to break the use-once clamp on the breather hose to get a measurement - and I don't expect you too either .

What is the inside/outside diameter of that hose?

I plan to rig up a catch can like many have.

Thanks,

Pete
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Just went and measured the evoluzion stuff I took off. It's a 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD...

Last edited by ataDude; 04-11-2009 at 04:59 PM.

There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Thanks.

Not sure myself about the clamp. Looked like a pinch-type that might need a special tool. I like worm clamps.

What did you take off from Evoluzione - or maybe these are take parts from putting somethign on?

Pete

Spyder Garage

I ran the race air flow filter for a week or so... very good performance increase in conjunction with a TBR Juice Box... but the intake noise was too loud for me... particularly for long road trips. It re-routes the breather hose straight to the intakes and uses one of the stock clamps.

I just use pliers, BTW, to squeeze the clamps and slide them out of the way.

Thanks.

Not sure myself about the clamp. Looked like a pinch-type that might need a special tool. I like worm clamps.

What did you take off from Evoluzione - or maybe these are take parts from putting somethign on?

Pete
    Last edited by ataDude; 04-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I used a worm clamp too instead of that pressure one - never liked those much. Back in the day on our dirt bikes - that blow-by tube just went down towards the ground - that way we could oil the track while we rode -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I used a worm clamp too instead of that pressure one - never liked those much. Back in the day on our dirt bikes - that blow-by tube just went down towards the ground - that way we could oil the track while we rode -
    ...or the back tire if we were riding a Brit bike.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Perusing one of the Corvete forums - cause those guys put stuff like this on all the time - I found that there is a difference between a "breather can" and a "catch can". Who'd a thunk it.

Anyway, wordsmithing aside the difference seems to be that both are catch cans whereas the breather can vents to the atmosphere through a filter and the catch can routes back to the air filter housing. As you might imagine there's a religious like following as to which is more effective.

Here's a not too cheap example of a breather can - and similar in concept to Lamonster's: http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/750108/10002/-1

Pete

Spyder Garage

I ended up using this: http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_oil_separator.php from Steeda Autosports because I could not find the "air line" parts in Lowes or Home Dept and Steeda is local.

The short breather line was wet when I removed it. I have not yet looked into the air box.

I located the catch can down near the oil resevoir so I could easily check it during an oil check. With routing away from exhaustt and stuff that's about 2 feet of 7/16" tubing to the catch can and 2 feet to the air intake.

Ran it maybe 10 miles today and saw a bit more oil in the catch can than I expected - not knowing what to expect. Not a lot - certainly did not need to empty it, but some. At the moment I know the oil level is within spec.

So, I am wondering if it is a bad idea to locate the catch can below the breather fitting on the engine...

What say you?

Pete

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ended up using this: http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_oil_separator.php from Steeda Autosports because I could not find the "air line" parts in Lowes or Home Dept and Steeda is local.

The short breather line was wet when I removed it. I have not yet looked into the air box.

I located the catch can down near the oil resevoir so I could easily check it during an oil check. With routing away from exhaustt and stuff that's about 2 feet of 7/16" tubing to the catch can and 2 feet to the air intake.

Ran it maybe 10 miles today and saw a bit more oil in the catch can than I expected - not knowing what to expect. Not a lot - certainly did not need to empty it, but some. At the moment I know the oil level is within spec.

So, I am wondering if it is a bad idea to locate the catch can below the breather fitting on the engine...

What say you?

Pete
    Check my picture below. This is the amount of oil after a ride of about 500 miles. If I didn't do Lamonster's Mod it would have been in my air box. My Spyder is much easer to start now when it is hot and seems to run better,

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLO RYDER View Post
    Check my picture below. This is the amount of oil after a ride of about 500 miles. If I didn't do Lamonster's Mod it would have been in my air box. My Spyder is much easer to start now when it is hot and seems to run better,

Mike
    Looks like a great set up. Can you list the parts needed for this mod. Thanks in advance.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Slo ryder. That looks good. I can't believe that oil is in the catch can and it gets in there without suction from the engine. There must be some pressure pushing it up there. Why so much oil from just fumes? Would another brand of oil not do that.