Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOE AMPUTATION CAUSES QUESTION ABOUT HEEL-TOE SHIFTERS

Friday morning I am having the second toe on my left foot amputated. You know, the "this little piggy stayed home" toe. I somehow managed to get an infection in the bone of that toe. I had a kidney transplant 16 years ago, and any of the non-amputation cures will probably cause problems for my kidney. I just am not willing to mess with the function of my one working kidney. The problem is I have poor circulation in my left foot, which my surgeon says may cause problems in the healing for that ex toe space. We figure it is a 50/50 shot that it will heal properly. If it doesn't, then he may have to take more of the foot off until we can get to the good blood circulation area. It is a risk I have no problem taking. I am confident that I will heal properly and further surgery will be unnecessary.

Anyway, depending on what happens with this, I was wondering if anyone has used heel-toe shifters and if so, what brand is the best? Also, do you need to have floorboards with them and how easy are they to install?

I am going to take my last ride for the next few weeks today. Sure hope I don't have too many withdrawal symptoms from not riding. Usually my hands start shaking after a couple of days.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to make this difficult decision; here's to hoping that everything heals quickly and completely!
    The last time that I fought diabetic foot ulcerations on my foot: they finally needed to use Derma-graft, in order to get things to close up...
    Heel/Toe shifters? Check with Inspector Gadget. He's got a real good one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had Inspector Gadget boards and heel-toe shifter on my 2012 RT. I just finished installing a nice set of Web Boards with shifter on my 2014 RT.

You can't go wrong either way. Once you get a heel-toe shifter, you'll wonder why you didn't get it years ago. 😀
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOE

Sorry to hear about this sending ............get well Bro ........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you consider possibly just going SE?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

i had this on my 08 wing, just because i liked it, give them a call and see if they have one for your bike, they work great

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/...c-shifters.asp
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't opine about what shifter to get, but when I rode two wheels, they were great to have. I've never seen one without floorboards, though, but it might work.

I'm praying you'll have a quick recovery.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When the 2008 Spyders came out, my dealer in Wis. Also a good friend of Wayne Pingle wanted an electric shifter for the Spyder. It only worked for 2-3 shifts, then the nanny would shut the bike down. Couldn't make it work. That's when I designed my heel toe shifter for the GS-RS bikes. Now Rivco sells them. I don't know if they have one for the RT.

Spyder Garage

I'm new to the Spyder world and ride a RTS-SE so I don't know a thing about heel/toe shifters on Can Am's. I do have over 40 years of stomping gears on Electra Glides. I always wondered about the guys that would remove the heel section of the shifter on Harley's. I never understood it. Were they such a spaz that they could not figure out two motions? Were they trying to shave off some of the 900 pounds? Yeah, it's a great way to shift, do it.

On another note my wife just had her hip replaced. For the first ten days they had her hooked up to a portable pump that aided circulation in both her legs. Kind of like wrap around stocking that applied pressure to your legs. There's all kind of things out there now to help you heal.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Praying for success

for successful operation and full and complete healing/recovery.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    Friday morning I am having the second toe on my left foot amputated. You know, the "this little piggy stayed home" toe. I somehow managed to get an infection in the bone of that toe. I had a kidney transplant 16 years ago, and any of the non-amputation cures will probably cause problems for my kidney. I just am not willing to mess with the function of my one working kidney. The problem is I have poor circulation in my left foot, which my surgeon says may cause problems in the healing for that ex toe space. We figure it is a 50/50 shot that it will heal properly. If it doesn't, then he may have to take more of the foot off until we can get to the good blood circulation area. It is a risk I have no problem taking. I am confident that I will heal properly and further surgery will be unnecessary.

Anyway, depending on what happens with this, I was wondering if anyone has used heel-toe shifters and if so, what brand is the best? Also, do you need to have floorboards with them and how easy are they to install?

I am going to take my last ride for the next few weeks today. Sure hope I don't have too many withdrawal symptoms from not riding. Usually my hands start shaking after a couple of days.
    Sorry to hear of your problem. I have seen them on Spyders. In fact Honda Can-Am of Winston -Salem has a used Sypder with floor boards that you can look at. I like to see things live. I am down the road in Advance, if I can do anything, let me know. Good luck, Bill...
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear....😭

Hope all goes well with this process. 's....most heel toe shifters are operated with the ball of your foot and that part seem to be alright. There are many out there that work with the peg as well as with floorboards. The sE is a thought but expesive to switch over and I am not an sE person. Not a hard part to make at a machine shop if you do not find a comfortable one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default support from Slovakia

Cross fingers for you my man.. get well and rYde soon!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default heel-toe-shifter

I put one on my 2015 RTS SM6 and it is too far back to reach with the heel.. I intend to extend the back pedal , but haven't done it yet. thoughts and prayers for you as you have the surgery and for your recovery. Dennis
    Dennis
    Job 19:25 (NIV)
    I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
    2015 RT-s

Spyder Garage

Wishing you the best on your surgery. It sounds like they have an answer for heal/toe shifting for you. The alternative (SE5, SE6) is not bad either--if its time to change up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everything will work out. Im pretty sure it will. Had a good ride today but shifting was getting a bit painfull. I really do not want to go the SE route. I enjoy having the left hand and foot working together for a smooth ride. I am hoping I wont need to worry about heel toe shifters or SE's, but I figured I would be best served in checking options out.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife shifted hers up and down with her heel. She couldn't raise the lever with her toes. What about steel toed boots??

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed a heel toe shifter on my 2014 RT, along with web boards. I wouldn't want anything else. A friend installed a heel toe shifter with his boards, but decided to go back with just the stock shifter. I will check to see if he still has the heel toe shifter and is willing to sell (at a good price of course).
    Good luck with your surgery and praying for complete healing.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Smile Toe Surgeryy!

Just wanted to Wish You "Good Luck with your surgery!" And a positive attitude like you seem to have will "Certainly Help!" Take Care & let us know how you make out!

Spyder Garage

Default up coming surgery

Sending you good thoughts and wishes for a rapid return to good health. Be at peace and trust your surgeon to do his best for you.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to learn about your situation.
    But you really have such a positive attitude that I can learn from.
    Hope everything goes well with a speedy recovery.

No experience on Toe-Heel shifter before.
    But personally I feels you that it is more comfortable together with the floorboards.
    Don't think it is necessary to change to a SE unless you are upgrading your Spyder.

Stays positive and healthy always...Cheers
    Last edited by JonYiong; 01-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all who sent me good thoughts. Looking forward to getting the toe cut off and getting back to work, and riding. Foot was so swollen on my ride this afternoon that I had a tough time getting my toes under the shifter. Still a nice ride. Hope it wont be too long til my next one. Lets have some dancing wieners

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default successful surgey

i pray everything goes great and your back riding ASAP I have had 3 bone cancer surgery and PRAYER WORKS

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze