Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Front wheel alignment

I know about the laser alignment that some dealers do for the spyder, but I was wondering what is so different from a normal alignment that you can get done at a tire dealer? I understand that the width is narrower on the spyder, but I think it is about the same as on a smart car (tires are about the same size). Since the mechanism is adjustable on the rack, seems like you should be able to move them in and do an alignment on the spyder. Please educate me on this issue.
    PS, the reason I ask, is that there are a couple of tire places that I use that do a heck of a job on 2 wheel alignments for $49, while all the places that I have seen charge atleast $99 for a spyder alignment.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Most modern tire fitting places have difficulties handling Spyder alignments for a couple fundamental reasons....

1). Their alignment hoist/table doesn't have anything in the middle to support the Spyder's rear wheel, so they can't get it up there to do the alignment in the first place; and

2). Their alignment equipment relies on matching the two front wheels with the two rear wheels, with units that hang off each of four wheels shining lights at the sensors up front that allows the comparison of alignment/direction from each wheel that forms the basis of the alignment using that type of gear!! Without a 'position & alignment' from the rear end wheels, their gear is unlikely to be able to do anything helpful with the front end alignment anyway!

Soo, unless your tire mob has the old school gear that doesn't need to put a pair of wheels on each ramp and can cater for that wheel up the back that's in the middle, plus it doesn't need those 4 units lined up in pairs to work that most modern car gear seems to, or the place has an operator who is skilled & practiced in basic alignment techniques without a computer doing most of the work for them, then you might find they just can't do an alignment on your Spyder anyway!

Sorry.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Most modern tire fitting places have difficulties handling Spyder alignments for a couple fundamental reasons....

1). Their alignment hoist/table doesn't have anything in the middle to support the Spyder's rear wheel, so they can't get it up there to do the alignment in the first place; and

2). Their alignment equipment relies on matching the two front wheels with the two rear wheels, with units that hang off each of four wheels shining lights at the sensors up front that allows the comparison of alignment/direction from each wheel that forms the basis of the alignment using that type of gear!! Without a 'position & alignment' from the rear end wheels, their gear is unlikely to be able to do anything helpful with the front end alignment anyway!

Soo, unless your tire mob has the old school gear that doesn't need to put a pair of wheels on each ramp and can cater for that wheel up the back that's in the middle, plus it doesn't need those 4 units lined up in pairs to work that most modern car gear seems to, or the place has an operator who is skilled & practiced in basic alignment techniques without a computer doing most of the work for them, then you might find they just can't do an alignment on your Spyder anyway!

Sorry.
    Wow! You sir, make some very valid points. Especially the one about not having a ramp for the rear wheel in the center. I feel kind of stupid for asking now, but I know I could count on someone here giving me the education that I needed.
    Thank you very much.
    Now I need to decide whether to get the alignment done on my tires now (I see some uneven wear), or get it done in a couple of months when I am ready to purchase new tires. Decisions, decisions.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Sorry.
    Agree with the words above, however as mentioned, if the guy doing the work has the earlier type equipment to set toe in without rear wheel reference, it can be done. The Spyder is super simple, no caster adjustments, no camber adjustments, simply toe in. If the guy can have the rider aboard, handlebars straight ahead, and set toe in to 1/16" to 3/16" it will work well. A test drive after setting the toe should verify the handlebars remained straight.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

it's all about the three wheels. the fronts are aligned to the single rear wheel. The rear wheel has to be aligned by the belt before you can do this properly. Tension is not an issue here but a good time to check it. The older and common methods use the frame to do this but on these units it does not work well if the rear tire is not addressed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Align and Re-tire together

I would do the alignment and tire replacement as close together as possible. My original fronts wore off the insides in 7K miles. The new tires started wearing badly immediately but I ran them about 4K before getting the laser alignment. It still didn't track very well. This summer I put new tires on the front and the difference is amazing. I put on the Ultimax RT43's and liked them so well that I now have one on the rear too.

I'm at 17K miles and my '09 SE5 is running better than ever. I sat on a '15 RT-S today and felt cramped. Not going to rush out to upgrade yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Always a must do for me

First the laser alignment (IMHO) needs to be with the Rolo System. 2d the persons aligning have much experience...like anything I do..I'd rather have someone with 1000 "do" on their list than someone who does a few. For me there is only 1 and that is Squared Away (Ann and Joe Meyer owners) and they travel all over doing awesome alignments on our Spyders.

Yes, replace the worn fronts at time of alignment. I have ALWAYS noticed a huge improvement in handling after a Squared Away alignment (the only folks I let "touch" my Red Stallion (and previous Spyders).

So guess the conclusion is Rolo System Laser alignment a MUST DO....

In case anyone interested it is 33'...literally raining snow with a 9 mph breeze. And good ole' Facebook just tried to rob me of my joy...as they announced that for the last 3 years on this date I have been ryding!!!!! Bad Facebook Bad.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Yep! the alignment on a spyder is key to a "happy" spyder. Couple of things to do:
    Verify the real wheel alignment (visual with the belt being about a credit cards width from the flange). Do this after riding in a straight line for a couple of blocks. When you are turning or backing up the belt moves somewhat, give it a straight run for it to find the "home spot". If the rear wheel is not right the money Is wasted on an alignment.
    Check front tire pressures. have them both the same.
    Like others have said, the alignment is really not that complicated as the spyder has no camber adjustment, only toe in,out.
    The key is all three wheels must be pointing the same direction. Both fronts can be pointing exactly the same direction but the rear can make the spyder "crab" down the highway, in turn scrubbing the tires..
    If you are on a straight road and let loose of the handlebars (just a little, be safe) and the spyder drifts left or right, alignment needs to be checked. Many times we will unconsciously apply a little pressure to the handlebars to compensate for this drift, in the mean time you are scrubbing your tires and they will ware much quicker.
    I had a 2010 RTS that I traded for a 2014 RTS. The alignment was perfect on the '10. That thing was spot on. When I traded it the bike had 25,000 miles on it and the front tires were original and were smooth with life left in them. My '14 was off on alignment and I had to replace the fronts at a little less than 8,000.
    Bottom line, a correct alignment will certainly save tires and make your ride much more satisfying.

Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers