Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Please be gentle it's my first time!

https://youtu.be/a1MGMNA39to
    OK. September 9th. I started out at the rear of Maidstone prison and headed out toward the old village of Boxley.
    This is just a short test video as an experiment. I have another 15 minute video which will take
    several hours to upload to YouTube

Spyder Garage

You are driving on the wrong side of the road

Great video

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Mount point ?

What's the mounting point for your camera ? I've been playing with a GoPro for the last few months with mounts in various positions on the Spyder and on my riding jacket. After reviewing a number of videos from other riders I've come to the conclusion that a helmet mount produces some of the best video as it gives a great rider perspective while minimizing image stabilization issues.... I've recently started recording some video clips and have been working to optimize camera angles and view... There is definitely an art to capturing the thrill and beauty of the ride. Ride safe brother and good luck !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Looked fine to me !

Like I said in my title, it looked fine to me from what I watched of it! I do have a question for you though. The bracket on the top of your windshield holding the small tinted "add a shield?" Is that something specific to Spyders only? Over there in jolly old England or whatever country you're in? A number of years ago my wife(now deceased) and I spent two weeks on a Carribean island (can't remember the name) right now, where they drove on the left side of the streets & roads. We had rented a car for the two weeks and after the first day we turned it back in & used cabs & buses for the rest of the time we were there!

Spyder Garage

Default Escape?

You said you started out from Maidstone prison. Were you documenting your escape?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

i like you, and would love to meet you and shake your hand, but all you Brits need to be arrested for driving on the wrong side of the road.

by the way, here in the states, we have signs on roadways saying, DON'T PICK UP HITCH HIKERS around our prisons, is it the same over there
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I started out at the rear of Maidstone prison..."

with Grandpot: this wasn't a pre-run for an unauthorized outing for a resident; was it?
    GREAT video!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks for all of the compliments......

I really don't think it's that good.....but I'm still learning to use the Go Pro which is using a RAM ball
    mount on the handlebars that I bought from Lamonster.
    Yes, that high wall on the right of the road is the wall of the prison.
    If you Google Earth/Streetview Maidstone UK you can see inside from the birds-eye view.
    I have another longer video which I've just uploaded and I'll put up here in a separate topic
    in my Merrie England thread. I had to convert from .avi to MP4 and it's not as sharp as it might be
    although I'm using a 29inch widescreen HD monitor and it shows differences in resolution drastically!
    Last edited by OJ UK; 01-12-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One bit of advice:
    If you stop along the road to relieve empty your bladder: turn the camera off first!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    by the way, here in the states, we have signs on roadways saying, DON'T PICK UP HITCH HIKERS around our prisons, is it the same over there
    Errrrr, not that I've noticed!! We would probably have something about look out for low flying drones. (they get used to smuggle drugs in to prisons a lot)
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    https://youtu.be/a1MGMNA39to
    OK. September 9th. I started out at the rear of Maidstone prison and headed out toward the old village of Boxley.
    This is just a short test video as an experiment. I have another 15 minute video which will take
    several hours to upload to YouTube
    Looks good. Only comment would be the that the screen is a bit annoying on the left hand side of the image. Don't know how you could get round it though unless the camera has a built in zoom or you could mount it further forward somehow. Image was nice and steady and it didn't make me feel sick like a lot of you tube videos do. (I'm very serceptible to motion sickness).

I'm looking forward to some overtaking action next!!
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 01-12-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I like the idea of having videos from different parts of the world. I tried to tour Perth AU, on Google Earth, but it got tiresome trying to get my older computer to scroll....

So send some more from different sections of your world, a bit of city and a bit of country driving. I appreciate it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One bit of advice:
    If you stop along the road to relieve empty your bladder: turn the camera off first!
    Excelkent point... since i use the helmet mount with rider perspective. I could easily see myself doing that !
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...

the filming is good the location of the camera is off. Looking throught the windsheild lowers part distorts the view. Otherwiswe nice.. So they let you out to do this kind of stuff...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Looks good. Only comment would be the that the screen is a bit annoying on the left hand side of the image. Don't know how you could get round it though unless the camera has a built in zoom or you could mount it further forward somehow. Image was nice and steady and it didn't make me feel sick like a lot of you tube videos do. (I'm very serceptible to motion sickness).

I'm looking forward to some overtaking action next!!
    Overtaking action?? Take a look at the other video here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...GLANDE!!/page6 Post # 132

You must realise that I speeded up the viewed image so that it would look impressive....I was only doing 50 mph.....Honest!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Overtaking action?? Take a look at the other video here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...GLANDE!!/page6 Post # 132

You must realise that I speeded up the viewed image so that it would look impressive....I was only doing 50 mph.....Honest!!
    Excellent, and I'll believe you on the speed................not!!! It was 50mph officer......honest!!!

Videos are good, the mount must be decent as they look rock solid..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    So send some more from different sections of your world, a bit of city and a bit of country driving. I appreciate it.
    I'm intending to shoot some video of my tour of Ireland in July, so I'll post some up for you.

Spyder Garage

Liked the video and while I was able to mentally accept the driving on the left side of the road, when you went through the roundabout on the "wrong" side it was a bit creepy. Makes me wonder if I would be able to get through those without incident when we go over there.

Appreciated the views.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Liked the video and while I was able to mentally accept the driving on the left side of the road, when you went through the roundabout on the "wrong" side it was a bit creepy. Makes me wonder if I would be able to get through those without incident when we go over there.

Appreciated the views.
    I'm sure you'll adjust. I always have to take a moment when I get to my first left turn at an intersection across a three lane highway. It always seems too far across the road to get to the lane I need.

The sytem we use is for my wife to keep saying 'right, right, right' to remind me which side I should be on!! I'm okay after the first couple of days, then it feels wierd to be back on the left when we get home.

The biggest adjustment you 'll have will be that most of our roads are narrow, single lane in either direction, with no divider. The roads always seem so wide in the US. The only part I've been to that felt close our roads was rural pennsylvannia.
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 01-13-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I'm intending to shoot some video of my tour of Ireland in July, so I'll post some up for you.
    That'd be good...Can't wait!

Spyder Garage

I just watched the video. Being honest, the intention and aiming is good, however the motorcyle reference within the video is the windscreen, and that could be a good reference but the distortion is is pretty bad based on the road lines.

The mount location seems good being stable, just not sure if it is possible, even with zoom to remove the distortion areas. Also, some distortion on the edges may happen from the camera itself naturally. Thing is, your video has a large percentage of the image looking through the windscreen.

you mentioned the mount was onto a Ram ball which is on the handlebar. Can this mount be safely moved forward or further outboard?

In regards to image quality and degradation, finding a good converter is important. I think you mentioned going from AVI to MP4. Not uncommon whether done automatically or by user selection. You may also want to experiment and see if conversion before or after importing into you editing program helps. Also, if there are sound events that key to visual, ensure the conversionretains the timing. As an example when a ball bounces, is the sound of the impact aligned with the ball hitting the ground?

I am not sure what software you are using, even the best is always degraded by Youtube for uploading. Keep that in mind if you play the same video on the same monitor with a before and after upload comparison.

Keep at it, once you find the true best mount location, it will capture incredible video that is easy to watch in 5 minute max duration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I just watched the video. Being honest, the intention and aiming is good, however the motorcyle reference within the video is the windscreen, and that could be a good reference but the distortion is is pretty bad based on the road lines.

The mount location seems good being stable, just not sure if it is possible, even with zoom to remove the distortion areas. Also, some distortion on the edges may happen from the camera itself naturally. Thing is, your video has a large percentage of the image looking through the windscreen.

you mentioned the mount was onto a Ram ball which is on the handlebar. Can this mount be safely moved forward or further outboard?

In regards to image quality and degradation, finding a good converter is important. I think you mentioned going from AVI to MP4. Not uncommon whether done automatically or by user selection. You may also want to experiment and see if conversion before or after importing into you editing program helps. Also, if there are sound events that key to visual, ensure the conversionretains the timing. As an example when a ball bounces, is the sound of the impact aligned with the ball hitting the ground?

I am not sure what software you are using, even the best is always degraded by Youtube for uploading. Keep that in mind if you play the same video on the same monitor with a before and after upload comparison.

Keep at it, once you find the true best mount location, it will capture incredible video that is easy to watch in 5 minute max duration.

No, the RAM ball mount can only be fixed where it is. It's purpose built by Lamonster Garage. http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu...0.1280.jpg?c=2

I tend to agree with you and I'm working on repositioning the extension arm without exacerbating the vibration of the camera.

Yep I have seen what YouTube does to video! All mine are shot in 1080p.

Spyder Garage

I'm just glad you didn't run over any dogs!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I'm just glad you didn't run over any dogs!
    There are legal ramifications involved in running over certain animals. If you run over a dog
    you must report it to the police asap. This also includes goats, horses, cattle, asses, mules, sheep and pigs
    and strangely, geese!