Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Portable GPS Units

Happy New Year!

I need to purchase a GPS unit for our truck and was hoping to find something that we could temporarily mount on our F3T as well. Any ideas/suggestions? I'm concerned that anything over a 5" screen may be too large, but upwards of 6" or 7" would be best for our aging eyes.

Here are a couple of models I'm looking at...
    5"
    6"

Thanks in advance~
    Laurie
    Mark & Laurie - we have crabs and a Spyder - 2016 F3T-SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've had a tom tom for several years. it works fine. sometimes I just use road maps if i'm just out exploring new places. I get into congested areas and I use the gps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would get a weather proof or water resistant model like the Garmin 590 or 660/665

Spyder Garage

Larger is better on a bike too. You want to spend less time looking at it.

As for waterproof, if you ride in the rain it is not a bad idea, but drives the price WAY up. There are lots of ways to temporarily waterproof a GPS, even using a condom works, but there are specialty covers that are quite reasonable.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Have seen Ipads clipped to the bars so size should not be a problem. We Have a garmin and I move it to which ever vehicle we are using. Ram mounts make it very easy. Mine is not water proof but have a plastic wrap for it and mostly depend on the audio for directions....

20160322_083746.jpg 20160322_083854.jpg I use these two points as well for the Go-Pro...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tom TOm

I've had Garmins, Magellans and Tom Toms. For road use I prefer Tom Toms. For boating, Garmins are best hands down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have seen Ipads clipped to the bars so size should not be a problem. We Have a garmin and I move it to which ever vehicle we are using. Ram mounts make it very easy. Mine is not water proof but have a plastic wrap for it and mostly depend on the audio for directions....

20160322_083746.jpg 20160322_083854.jpg I use these two points as well for the Go-Pro...
    My latest Garmin has Bluetooth. I can answer the phone with it while connected to my helmet listening to music and hearing directions.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rever GPS App on iPhone 7 Plus (water proof especially with Otter Box Defender case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I've been using regular GPS on the Spyders for 33k miles. I'm on my 2nd unit in almost 8 years... So that is a lot cheaper than the dedicated weather proof ones. I used a RAM Aquabox on my old spyder to weather proof the GPS. On the F3, I'm just going to take it off the mount and put it away as the aquabox was too large.

While RAM has the X grip mounts you should still have a tether on the GPS. The X grips come with a tether now but you may want a better option. I use this one... Far more secure and designed for my Garmin.... Still a RAM Product. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AS others have said, you may already have a smart phone. Phones are the easiest to weather proof as they have numerous vendors making those all weather cases. Navigation is really good, but you will have to download map areas in advance for areas you'll ride that do not have data service or low bars of service. You can also buy a Garmin/TomTom/ETC nav app and have your map data always local anyway. That said, your screen will be smaller.

I ride with both dedicated GPS and smart phone up on the bars. Each has it's function. I like the dedicated nav of the garmin. It's cheap... IT works and so far I haven't destroyed one from riding. Would I Love the weatherproof Garmin? Yeah... But for that price? No.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Tom Tom from Wally World. Use it in or on anything. Great thing, nobody steals a 99 dollar gps!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Portable GPS

I have an XGrip and a Tom Tom XXL GPS on the Spyder. The XGrip will also fit my IPhone if needed.
    I carry a ZipLock baggie to pull over the GPS for wet weather protection.

In the SUV I have an older Garmin Nuvi GPS.

Tom Tom is great for the Trike. I prefer the Garmin interface for the car.