Thread: Advice

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

Hi all. I need some advice about a trip I'm thinking about doing on my F3. Would be from the Tucson AZ area to Huntington Beach CA. I have driven in California many time but have never ridden a motorcycle on those freeways. No issues getting there I'm just concerned about what to expect once I get in the LA area. Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks in advance..

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

Better check on those big snow storms you might have to ride through .

Spyder Garage

Be prepared to ride like your hair is on fire on the California highways. I rode from Phoenix to Monterey about 10 years ago, holy cow what a trip that was.

Spyder Garage

I just got back from California. I was driving a mustang rental car. I wouldn't ride a bike anywhere in southern California. They drive way to fast and way to many lane changers. It's a death trap. Northern California was nice along PCH 1.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They have a lot of traffic that is a fact. You can use the HOV lanes which is great but you really need to know where you will be exiting. Watch out for lane splitting bikes, they come up on you quickly.

I say say go for it. Try to plan your arrival for mid day, use your GPS but be sure to review the route so you can plan your exits.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pay no attention to the people that no nothing of So-Cal traffic. I agree with Ann. plan your trip in at a time not during rush hour. You can use the car pool lane so you don't have to worry too much about the bumper to bumper thing. I agree about the lane splitters, keep an eye on your mirrors as they come up quickly! Relax, keep your eyes open, and enjoy the incredible weather! You will love it.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I was thinking about doing Route 66 home from the left coast to SE Kansas sometime when I'm out west for some event. Now I don't know if I should.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

I live in Oregon but have worked in SoCal for the last 10 years in the construction trade as a superintendent. My wife and I have ridden all over down there, the last time was 8 months in Van Nyes we would plan our rides in and out in the early morning and just watch for traffic. The 2 wheelers splitting lanes at excessive speeds are unnerving at best, just watch your mirrors. There is some great riding down there and great riding weather. The important thing is to know where you need to exit and plan accordingly. In that 8 months we put nearly 20k miles on our Spyders and had a blast. Go for it.

Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kickinbar View Post
    Hi all. I need some advice about a trip I'm thinking about doing on my F3. Would be from the Tucson AZ area to Huntington Beach CA. I have driven in California many time but have never ridden a motorcycle on those freeways. No issues getting there I'm just concerned about what to expect once I get in the LA area. Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks in advance..
    Yikes. You've received some pretty hair raising advice on this topic so, I thought I would add mine. I am TDY in Orange County and ride my Spyder most days on the freeway up and down the 5 and 405 and haven't been killed once. Yes, there is commute hour traffic but no worse than Phoenix. Watch for motorbike lane splitters, stay in the HOV lane as much a possible, and enjoy your ride. No worries.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't try lane splitting if you go , spyders not going to fit !

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance..
    yes the traffic does get congested around L.A. I live in San Diego and have headed to area often but just plane the trip so you hit L.A between 10 and noon. Also since you are going to Huntington take the Coastal route around much of L.A and Long Beach it takes longer but much more interesting and relaxing. as matter of fact Huntington is south of L.A so you don't have attack that but traffic can still be heavy on the freeway, STAY COASTAL

Spyder Garage

Default PRAIRIERIDER GO FOR IT

My wife and I rode RT66 in May of 2015 from the Santa Monica Pier to Gallop NM. We went thru the L.A. area around noon. Just alot of traffic but no problem. Like the others have said watch you mirrors and keep aware of what's around you. GPS was a help. It was a fun trip.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default what time of year

i've driven that 1 million times, well maybe not 1 million times and ridden many hundreds of times on motorcycles no problem just watch out for all the crazies on the freeway lots and lots of traffic you'll have no trouble getting to Huntington Beach.
    I would wait till this crazy weather quits dumping all this rain on us.
    Dave

Thanks in advance..

Spyder Garage

Default No big deal?

Noticed that most posts mention bikes lane splitting at high rates of speed ... How dangerous it can be etc , but it's just put off as a normal thing ? I've seen forums and articles pushing for "filtering" to be allowed here in Ontario and other places in the U.S as well claiming that it makes everything safer for everyone on the roads ? Obviously we can't split lanes on the Spyder but I'm missing where this makes things any safer for anyone and increases the potential for road rage incidents no?