Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Welcome from Boise Idaho, Like you the wife and I got our 2011 RTL calling it our Christmas Present but that was 5 weeks ago. BTW I will see mine tomorrow after being in the shop for two weeks for Battery replacement ( and a couple of parts that caused the Check Engine light to stay on). I had questions and they got answered, Great bunch around here.
    We will be coming through your area in June on my yearly ride
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

Well, went to unload it from the trailer and found out the battery is original and DOA. Figures. Taking it over to Broadway Powersports in Tyler to get a new battery installed. Haven't even got the extended factory warranty transfer completed yet, but batteries aren't covered anyway (per svc dept at BP). So feeding the beast begins before I ever got it off the trailer.

So there's my first question: in East Texas, where does everyone like to get their worked on, buy parts, etc.?
    I don't know about "everybody", but so far I have had good service from Lewis Powersports in Greenville.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    I was in Mineola last week looking at property to buy for an upcoming move to your area. It is between Mineola and Terrell, haven't decided for sure yet.
    Terrell is a bigger town and you're a LOT closer to Dallas for entertainment, healthcare, job opps, shopping, etc. Mineola is MUCH smaller and more rural. By comparison, you will find Terrell has a "rough" element that is missing in Mineola. On the other hand, you can be incognito in Terrell. You can't in Mineola. If you live in Mineola, you'll find most of your "city" stuff is in Tyler and Longview and there's more shopping options and what not in Sulphur Springs...all closer and more convenient than DFW. But things like delivery food, multiple home service companies/contractors vying for your business, and being able to look up businesses on the WWW will be all but non-existent. Life moves a LOT slower here and old school word-of-mouth is the social currency. Speaking of "social," it's still dominated by 3-4 of the local churches even though over half the residents don't attend church. This is especially true with regard to politics and governance. Really, you'll be making a choice between suburban and rural. I grew up here and we moved home after retirement from the military in 2012.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Congrats on the Spyder. A two wheeler friend of mine and I took a trip to Waco TX back in October to visit his brother. I ride a '14 RTS. Had a good ride from upper East Tennessee. We have already planned to make another run out there this spring.
    As far as the battery situation, as with any computerized vehicle, there is always a parasitic drain on the electrical system. Two or three weeks is probably not a problem but beyond that I always have a battery tender hooked up. I do the same with the two wheelers I have. As you said, if it is the original battery it is time to go ahead and replace anyway. It may hold a charge but just for piece of mind I would get the new one.
    I had a 2010 RTS and the battery is under the seat, I think the '12 is the same. Not the easiest thing to access, fortunately it you don't need to go there often.

The '12 is a good bike, as others have said, read the "do's and don'ts" on the opening page. You'll be glad you did. Remember yours is a V twin, now, the '14 RTS and F3 are inline 3 cylinders. When reading information remember to notice if it applies to your model.
    The '12 will take you anywhere you go. I took the 2010 RTS across country on an 18 day adventure with my wife and towing the 622 trailer (the trailer was for Her luggage). I learnt a long time ago to pick my battles anyway enjoy and have fun.
    Happy Spyderlovers

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just wanted to say howdy to everyone and thank the admins for this website. My wife just bought me a 2012 Spyder RT SE5 for Christmas. It's got 13,000 miles on it.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of annoying questions.
    welcome new spyder member hope to see you soon maybe spyderfest or maybe in downtown mineola great fried pies there

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the site. Tires and Oil are two of the top Hot Button topics on this site, Has your rear tire been changed out? if it hasent it should be almost bald at 13K also do you know when the last oil change was done? Proper oil and timely changes are your friend. Again you will get lots of advice on tires and oil.

The 2012's have proven to be as dependable as they get, we enjoy ours.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Welcome spyder rider. You have a twin to mine and I'm sure you will enjoy every mile!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Terrell is a bigger town and you're a LOT closer to Dallas for entertainment, healthcare, job opps, shopping, etc. Mineola is MUCH smaller and more rural. By comparison, you will find Terrell has a "rough" element that is missing in Mineola. On the other hand, you can be incognito in Terrell. You can't in Mineola. If you live in Mineola, you'll find most of your "city" stuff is in Tyler and Longview and there's more shopping options and what not in Sulphur Springs...all closer and more convenient than DFW. But things like delivery food, multiple home service companies/contractors vying for your business, and being able to look up businesses on the WWW will be all but non-existent. Life moves a LOT slower here and old school word-of-mouth is the social currency. Speaking of "social," it's still dominated by 3-4 of the local churches even though over half the residents don't attend church. This is especially true with regard to politics and governance. Really, you'll be making a choice between suburban and rural. I grew up here and we moved home after retirement from the military in 2012.
    We are still looking, we are looking for 1 to 3 acres, seems not much available that small. LOL When we find something and relocate I'll look you up.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

We are still looking, we are looking for 1 to 3 acres, seems not much available that small. LOL
    In Mineola, a lot of the residential city lots are 3/4 acre to 1.1 acres. If you're looking for a parcel that size, I'd recommend focusing on the edges of town and make sure you actually choose one that is legally OUTSIDE the city limits. Huge tax difference! A lot of folks don't realize Mineola is zoned and has a LOT of ordinances. So check all of that, too. If you want to build or remodel, there will be permits and inspections with strict setback and pretty strict weather tolerance standards inside the city limits and none outside the city limits. If you want to have a home and business on the same lot, best bet is outside the city limits. There are multi-use zoned areas, but not that much. Most of what you see driving around was grandfathered in when the zoning was enacted in the 1990s.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Welcome to the site. Tires and Oil are two of the top Hot Button topics on this site, Has your rear tire been changed out? if it hasent it should be almost bald at 13K also do you know when the last oil change was done? Proper oil and timely changes are your friend. Again you will get lots of advice on tires and oil.

The 2012's have proven to be as dependable as they get, we enjoy ours.
    Tires are great and it's due for another oil change in about 1,000 miles. The maintenance records are flawless. I knew the original owner. He's "that guy."

Spyder Garage

Just took the bike out on my first ride to get used to controls. Short ride around neighborhood with lots of extra stop/start, swerving, cornering, U-turns, etc. I didn't realize the turn signals are auto cutoff until about the 3rd turn. I'll stick to the residential streets for a few more rides before playing with traffic or speeds above 30 mph just to make sure I'm in command of the controls, power, and braking. So far, I'm pretty happy with the way the bike feels. I've got quite a bit of ATV experience and some snow mobile experience (hate them!). It feels a lot like riding a big ATV with an auto clutch at these speeds, but without the bumpy terrain. Hardest thing I'm having to "adapt" to is the braking difference, but I really like it. One of the reasons I bought this bike is that I have neurological damage to my neck that makes operating a clutch, brake, and throttle in sync with my hands an exercise that requires a LOT of concentration; and that was taking my focus off of traffic and road conditions enough that I scared myself a few times and laid the 2-wheeler down once turning right into traffic in a 45 mph zone off off a dead stop on a steep incline. Hand slipped off clutch and I whiskey throttled the bike right out from under me. Ended up in the median between 4 lanes of traffic with no damage to self or bike -- VERY lucky! That was the last time I rode a 2-wheeler further than to move it from one parking spot to another. So I'm pretty stoked about getting back in the saddle on something that I can handle with my impairment. You see, it's my left hand that's the bigger problem. The paddle shifter on this RT SE5 is very easy for me to operate, but I can't feel a handlebar clutch well enough to use one safely -- especially with gloves on.

I'm going to go cruise around the neighborhood some more. It's in the mid-50's and partly cloudy. And that's the best weather I've had since I bought the bike. This time of year, you gotta make hay when the sun's shining.

Thanks for all the input, advice, and welcomes!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've picked the PERFECT way to get used to the Spyder!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default texas

I was in Mineola last week looking at property to buy for an upcoming move to your area. It is between Mineola and Terrell, haven't decided for sure yet.
    we are always looking for that move , had been in the dallas fort worth region for a long while and moved too where we are now , it is beautiful in the spring summer and fall , but it isn`t texas -------- just something about texas , you either do not have it , or you do ! { any good finds in your search for places there ? }

Spyder Garage

Default where

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    welcome new spyder member hope to see you soon maybe spyderfest or maybe in downtown mineola great fried pies there
    ahhhhhhh where at in fort worth ? man , are you in the bigger part hahaha since they dropped in the toll road it is all big now ! { last visit 3 years ago I think } last lived there 15 years ago } when too get back a-s-a-p

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 here

I'm going to go cruise around the neighborhood some more. It's in the mid-50's and partly cloudy. And that's the best weather I've had since I bought the bike. This time of year, you gotta make hay when the sun's shining.
    //////////// hope it turns out well for you , you will need to get use too the texas wind as it ramps up also I would expect , the side breeze is a little on the pushy side .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    //////////// hope it turns out well for you , you will need to get use too the texas wind as it ramps up also I would expect , the side breeze is a little on the pushy side .....
    Oh, it's a calm day today with winds only about 10-20 mph.

When we were stationed at Fort Bliss (El Paso, TX), a Command Sergeant Major was riding home from work on his Gold Wing and the wind picked him up off the highway and threw him about 50 feet into one of those giant highway signs on the shoulder that tells people which roads are which lanes for an upcoming interchange. Killed him. That big ole bike went under the sign and he hit it like a bug on a windshield. 50 mph crosswinds are no joke! And they aren't uncommon in West Texas, especially in the winter months.

Spyder Garage

What a great wife. Hope you enjoy the machine, looks great