Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Shock Adjusters

Install is done on my 2015 RT LTD. I have a bit of problems getting those darn top bolts out but managed. Building the shocks is very easy but be sure to get Ron's compressors. They make it so easy. The reinstall went seamlessly except the instructions I had - never said when to install the bottom bolts but after a call to Ron, it is done. I didn't mess with the double sticky tape at all. I used a 3/8" breaker bar and a 15mm socket. I actually used two very tiny pieces of electrical tape to hold the nut in the socket. I slid the top bolt in so about 1/8 inch of the threaded portion extended thru the bracket. The nut on the breaker bar slipped into place perfectly and the bolt was very easy to thread int the nut. I then tightened the top bolt/nut and wiggled the socket/bar just enough to get the tape to come loose.

After three rides I have found my "sweet" spot! It is three turns out (Firmer) and the rear shock is set to the fourth firmest setting. The riding was done with a full tank of gas, one up and the bike was unloaded. The front bike height started at 6 3/4". After three turns and a full tank of gas, it settled in at 7 3/4" height after riding. It looks as though every turn on the adjuster adds about 1/2 inch to front ride height.

I do have the Ron sway bar and links and I found the bar helped sway a bit on my 15 - but not as much as it made on my 11. The shock adjusters DID make a substantial difference in the corners and especially on nose dive when braking. They diid not. affect the ride characteristics in a negative manner what so ever!

Riding two up will have to wait until nicer weather.

Thanks Ron!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Good to know...we need more reports on the install and the testing. Many would like a starting point and knowing you found your sweet spot will help. well done and glad you got it all done without a hitch... come on....you knew you had to hook the bottom up
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hey bmwlarry, with a significant height change like that, you might want to get the camber checked on your front wheels. Unless they were really sloping in to start with, there's now a good chance that you'll find the tops of the wheels are sloping out due to the lift; & that can make for very twitchy ryding, un-predictable cornering characteristics, & adversely accelerate the front tire wear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hey bmwlarry, with a significant height change like that, you might want to get the camber checked on your front wheels. Unless they were really sloping in to start with, there's now a good chance that you'll find the tops of the wheels are sloping out due to the lift; & that can make for very twitchy ryding, un-predictable cornering characteristics, & adversely accelerate the front tire wear.

this is ALL probably probable, love the idea of a little more ground clearance, but scrutinize those front tires for a couple thousand miles,
    just to make sure nothing weird is going on. and thanks for the report.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

, you more than likely will need a laser alignment now.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Peter, My plan is to get a alignment done in the next two weeks. I haven't had one done for 1 year or 9,000 miles. It is due for a check
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this good info Larry,

Glad to hear it helped with your cornering, I am having the same issue.

I plan on getting the adjusters on mine for the Spring, and maybe giving it a shot myself.

Who do you recommend as I do not see them available from the Lamonster site ?
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    Thanks for this good info Larry,

Glad to hear it helped with your cornering, I am having the same issue.

I plan on getting the adjusters on mine for the Spring, and maybe giving it a shot myself.

Who do you recommend as I do not see them available from the Lamonster site ?

BajaRon
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I thought Baja Ron only sold to dealers. Thanks, will contact them.
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Spyder Garage

No he sells retail also and he will loan you the tools needed for install.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

I have an apt on Tuesday to get the alignment done. BUT - it will be 17 degrees when I ride to the dealership and maybe 27 by the time I get home!! YIKES!
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

I sell to anyone. You can always check out what I have for the Spyder by clicking on my banner ad on the HOME PAGE here at Spyderlovers.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

You can email me at fyredad@hotmail.com or call me at 423-552-3720. And, of course, you can always PM me here.

I also carry a lot of products not listed including;
    Helmets
    Rain Gear
    Heated Gear
    Cold Weather Gear
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I have a bit of problems getting those darn top bolts out but managed.
    Did you put them back in reverse of the original direction? Ron suggests that and it makes it much easier to tighten them. I don't recall what wrench Ron recommends but I bought a 3/8" drive flex handle. A 3/8 drive socket is short enough with the flex handle to get into the tight space without too much trouble. As I recall when I installed mine I determined the flex handle would work better than what Ron suggests.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The shocks went in the same as OEM. I did reverse the bolts on top. The problem was simply the wiggling out of the loose upper bolts. Reinstall was a piece of cake!
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    The shocks went in the same as OEM. I did reverse the bolts on top. The problem was simply the wiggling out of the loose upper bolts. Reinstall was a piece of cake!
    Not to hijack this thread. But I've always gotten a great deal of satisfaction from doing my own work. And I am quite frankly surprised at how many of you not only do your own installs, etc., but you're excited by the prospect of doing it yourself. It's great to share the experience of getting there as well as the results of a job well done.

Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Adjuster install -- done!!

I'll just revive this thread with my impressions.

Install took me 3 hours from start to finish and Ron's instructions were perfect - thanks Ron.

No video, sorry. No way I could get a camera going as well as working on them.

As others have said previously, the top bolts were a PITA. Getting the wrench round the front end and on the bolt head was not easy, but a real learning experience .. I did re-install them backwards per Ron's instructions and the re-install went appreciably easier.

I took measurements from ground to below the bump skid and recorded them. After the Adjuster install and "zeroing" the measurements were a quarter inch higher.
    Did a quick 5 miles to settle the shocks in and the measurements returned to my original recordings.

So far I've adjusted them in one complete turn and gained a quarter inch. I'll leave them there until I have more rides on them and adjust accordingly.

We have a 700 mile weekend coming up soon and I expect a lot better handling based on the feelings of the few miles today.

I'm real HAPPY

Again, big thanks to Ron for excellent instructions, and also big thanks for the "tips and tricks" from forum members who's posts I printed out and read many times before I started this install.
    Garageguy -- Brian Kay -- tehrlich and bmwlarry were but a few.

Oh -- thanks to Debbie (my unpaid helper) also for the Jack assistance
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-10-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default What does the "sweet spot" feel like?

No, I'm not trying to get weird. I installed the adjusters a month or two ago, and I settled at 2 turns. I have been noticing what feels like buffeting at high speed, but I think it might be a reaction to the road surface because it tends to happen at the same areas of the road. It can be disconcerting to say the least to find that you are suddenly headed for the next lane!

When the adjusters are at the correct setting, what can I expect to feel? Conversely, when they are set improperly, what can I expect to feel?

I know I need a laser alignment to put the bow on top, and I want to get it dialed in as much as I can first. The height is pretty much the same as it was prior to installing the adjusters.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

OK -- been playing with them and had 2 turns in before our ride today.

All I can say is --"OH YEAH !!"
    Soaks up uneven road surfaces better and handled the twisties, at speed, like it was on rails We were 2 up.

These adjusters, along with the stronger sway bar and links -- I'm quite impressed.

Had almost no cross winds today so I can't attest to that.

I'm sitting at a half inch higher than without the adjusters.

Hope you get yours dialed in Stumpy
    Last edited by HayRog; 05-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    OK -- been playing with them and had 2 turns in before our ride today.

All I can say is --"OH YEAH !!"
    Soaks up uneven road surfaces better and handled the twisties, at speed, like it was on rails We were 2 up.

These adjusters, along with the stronger sway bar and links -- I'm quite impressed.

Had almost no cross winds today so I can't attest to that.

I'm sitting at a half inch higher than without the adjusters.

Hope you get yours dialed in Stumpy
    Most customers are happy with 2 turns. Seems to be the general sweet spot. But I've got customers running as high as 4 turns when loaded.

Just wondering if you figured out why the moving aound on that certain stretch of road you mentioned.