Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited Wiring

I know I have asked this before, but maybe someone has stumbled on it by now.

On the Euro/Aus models, the low beam headlights are located where the US riders install their "fog" lights via a plug and play connector to a pre wired switch alongside the heated grips switch.

On the Euro/Aus models, we have the pre-wired switch (sort of.....the wiring goes into a black blank cover plate). It has an orange/red wire, a grey/yellow(although the yellow could possibly be a pale green or beige) wire and two black earth wires.......

Does anyone know where these coloured wires terminate? I am trying to find the "other end" if it is not in use, so I can use the switch to wire in a couple of Tricled spot lights off the front wheels. It also has to be linked to the high beam wiring so they can only come on when high beam is operational, but that's another task.

If I can't find the other end (I tried following the wiring diagram, but my head started hurting ), I'll just move the current blank switch and run new wiring from the spot lights direct to the soon to be purchased switch.

I just reread the above and can hardly understand it myself, so I'll understand completely if I get no responses

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

May I suggest getting the digital service manual. Do a search there are a couple vendors and the manual is the same for all as far as I can tell. It is not expensive and it will have a detailed wiring diagram in it. That may give you better answers. The wire colors are there. The connectors are shown and coded. General locations of each connector are shown on a diagram.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I don't know if this will help. But the fog light switch for NA operates relay R4 in the left fuse box. According to the diagram the relay should be there even in international models but not used. May be able to use it for aux lights.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    May I suggest getting the digital service manual. Do a search there are a couple vendors and the manual is the same for all as far as I can tell. It is not expensive and it will have a detailed wiring diagram in it. That may give you better answers. The wire colors are there. The connectors are shown and coded. General locations of each connector are shown on a diagram.
    Thanks Billy, but I already have one of those. That's what I was reading when I tied my head in knots.....I don't think I was born to be an auto electrician.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know if this will help. But the fog light switch for NA operates relay R4 in the left fuse box. According to the diagram the relay should be there even in international models but not used. May be able to use it for aux lights.
    Thanks again, Billy.....I couldn't even glean THAT from the wiring diagram.....sounds like as good a place to start as any I might try putting the wiring diagram as a display on my 70" TV. I might be able to follow it a bit better then

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

When you access the fuse box, the labelling shows that R4 is actually for the "Front Heated Grip" and R5 is for "Accessories Lights", Billy.....just for info. I'll have a dig around the R5 relay and see what I find .
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    When you access the fuse box, the labelling shows that R4 is actually for the "Front Heated Grip" and R5 is for "Accessories Lights", Billy.....just for info. I'll have a dig around the R5 relay and see what I find .
    Not according to the service manual.

access lights1.JPGaccess lights2.JPGaccess lights3.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I found that in a couple of places in the manual, so I'll have to assume the manual is correct and someone had a few reds before they did the afternoons labeling, Billy.....thanks...
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Actually it is not that important which relay it is. It is just important that it is there and you can use it. Do not mess around inside the fuse box. It needs to stay watertight.

The plug going to your low beam bulbs has 3 wires. Ground, low beam, and auxiliary lights (fog Lights). Your Spyder is only using 2 of them. Ground and low beam. So you can tap into the unused wire for your auxiliary driving lights project.

If I was doing your project I would get and install the fog light switch.
    Tap into the extra wire at the low beam bulb. Gray with a green tracer. That's for power to your aux driving lights.
    Tap into the low beam wire for trigger voltage for a relay. That's so the aux driving light will go off automatically on low beam as you said you wanted.
    While there, you may as well get your ground from the same spot.
    For tapping into the circuits. I would buy matching male and female connector if possible. Make a pigtail and tap into that. So if something goes wrong. You just have to unplug it and you are back to stock.
    Install your aux lights.
    Build and install your harness for the new lights.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Actually it is not that important which relay it is. It is just important that it is there and you can use it. Do not mess around inside the fuse box. It needs to stay watertight.

The plug going to your low beam bulbs has 3 wires. Ground, low beam, and auxiliary lights (fog Lights). Your Spyder is only using 2 of them. Ground and low beam. So you can tap into the unused wire for your auxiliary driving lights project.

Tap into the extra wire at the low beam bulb. Gray with a green tracer. That's for power to your aux driving lights.
    Tap into the low beam wire for trigger voltage for a relay. That's so the aux driving light will go off automatically on low beam as you said you wanted.
    For tapping into the circuits. I would buy matching male and female connector if possible. Make a pigtail and tap into that. So if something goes wrong. You just have to unplug it and you are back to stock.
    Install your aux lights.
    and remember to take pictures

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Install your aux lights.
    ahhhhhhh. Who's a clever Billy then . I never thought of running off the low beam as a trigger to shut "off" the driving lights. The low beams are much easier to physically access on the Euro models than the high beams. I am also running a Neutrino controller, and I believe it can be configured to accept a trigger wire. Since the Neutrino has inbuilt fuse and relay components, I should be able to run the trigger into it from the low beam, and power the driving lights directly from the Neutrino via the fog light switch. Thanks again for taking the time to detail that, Billy.......Pete heads off to find his Neutrino manual
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Driving lights installed

So, after some recent head scratching (I had a brand new, but faulty, switch), They are installed. I followed Billy's advice (in the main). I discarded the existing "fog light) wiring.
    I connected the Tricled driving lights to the front fenders, ran their wiring loom up to the hole for the fog lights switch, ran a positive and earth wire from the Neutrino to the hole for the fog lights switch, and connected them to my new latching switch. I then ran a trigger wire from my spare low beam wire into the "relay" slot on my Neutrino, and configured to Neutrino to trigger the driving lights when low beam was switched off. Works an absolute treat, and the Tricled driving lights are the easiest hardware install you"Lo ever find on the F3-L. Undo the fender bolt, slip the light bracket in and tighten the fender bolt.

Thanks for for all your help, boys and girls.....I couldn't have done it without you

IMG_0481.jpgIMG_0482.jpgIMG_0486.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Oh....and the bonus of using the Neutrino.....I can perform a 10 second iPhone configuration change and run the driving lights at 30% and off low beam for extra visibility if required.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.