Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry...

Don't even have a place to try that.... pool water is about 40° but has steps... great video for those out on the ice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He never mentioned the possibility of hypothermic shock stopping your heart...
    If you're on the ice, and don't have picks handy:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A little surprised by this because of the possibility that things could have gone wrong. When I lived in central Ontario and was very involved in our volunteer Fire Dept, ice water rescue was something we practiced a lot.
    Even in a controlled situation we would have had a safety harness on the "victim" for when things go sideways. It wasn't necessary for him to have had on civilian clothing to get his points across and tips on getting out. Further, victims are never that calm and will fight and thrash around if being rescued. He could have suffered cardiac arrest or a cold shock reflex that shuts the airway and can result in dry drowning. Going under the ice is not something to mess with and finding someone is no joke.
    Cavman, not being critical of posting the video. Just surprised at the people making it. Safety has to be their first priority.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This demonstration video: while very useful; also downplayed the dangers involved in making it. Even WITH the emergency personnel present.
    and that going under the ice is just about an automatic death-sentence.
    (I've been around two of them...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good warnings. Your situation may be different.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Back at in the last century when I was on the largest cave rescue team in the country, we used to practice all kinds of things. My Father didn't understand why we had some many people show up for a rescue? I had to explain to him that in that environment, you 'burn' through a lot of people. It's not like walking through the woods carrying a stretcher. There crawling, dragging, pushing, lifting, etc in a cool and sometime wet environment. Hypothermia can set in rather quickly to the victim as well as the rescue personnel!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I had to explain to him that in that environment, you 'burn' through a lot of people.
    Same thing with fire fighters. I don't remember exactly what the length of time is for a fully geared firefighter to be active but I think it's only like 10 or 15 minutes, followed by 20 or 30 minutes cool down and rest.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)