Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for HELP!!!!!

The wife and are planning on an extended Spyder trip in 2018, as we already have 2017 booked, out west form Ohio. We plan on going west to see the GREAT country we live in. At present we are looking at 4 to 6 weeks. Any ideas suggested from members would be greatly appreciated. Also, if we could meet up with any members to ryde the local highways and byways would also be great. Please all Spyderlover members have a safe and Happy New Year.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Black Hills of South Dakota has some great things to see and great roads. Southern Utah has quite beautiful scenery.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

That makes for a great trip...depends on what all you will see in 2017and how far you are willing to venture away from home. loops make for great trips...if you should get to California there are great roads and sights to see. Make it to the San Diego area and we can roam the hill and coast together...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    The wife and are planning on an extended Spyder trip in 2018, as we already have 2017 booked, out west form Ohio. We plan on going west to see the GREAT country we live in. At present we are looking at 4 to 6 weeks. Any ideas suggested from members would be greatly appreciated. Also, if we could meet up with any members to ryde the local highways and byways would also be great. Please all Spyderlover members have a safe and Happy New Year.
    Be sure to visit Cody, WY and the Buffalo Bill Museum then take the Bear Tooth Pass on your way NW. There is so much to see in the NW plan on taking your time and smelling the Roses. When you are in Central Washington look me up.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default NO CITIES

1st piece of advise I have, is: you should each have your own SPYD3R... makes life OH SO BETTER....
    2nd, NO BIG CITIES....
    3rd, ride safely....
    4th, enjoy....
    you can't really go wrong west of the Mississippi... or for that matter, east of it... keep an open mind, and don't try to do too much in any one day... i'm thinking you are retired, since you state you'll be on the road for an extended period of time... i know my 69 year old bones can't take consecutive 500 miles days too often... "smell the roses"...
    good luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Sure sounds lke fun. O-H

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That makes for a great trip...depends on what all you will see in 2017and how far you are willing to venture away from home. loops make for great trips...if you should get to California there are great roads and sights to see. Make it to the San Diego area and we can roam the hill and coast together...
    He's got you covered for SoCal and I should have you covered for NorCal (depending on your dates).... I am recovering still from some nasty injuries and could only handled a day ride but have the scoop on many good ones you can take!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I-O

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Black Hills, Badlands National Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Utah National & State Parks (Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon). Not a bad sight among this group. And this group is all in just three of the states.

Those state by state tour guides available at Barnes & Noble are good places to start and get some great ideas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of my most enjoyable rides was on US 36 in Kansas. Most all farm country with small rural communities every few miles. There was just something about it that made me feel more connected to this country than ever before. Also the three US highways in south Kansas. For that matter, almost any non-Interstate US highway, and many state and county roads, will lead you through the unvarnished real American landscape. But once in awhile even a US highway is nothing but semi-urban blah such as US 40 in Utah.

Google Street View and Google Earth are superb tools for planning. If you're thinking about a particular road take a virtual ride first with either of those programs and you'll soon figure out if it's a road you want to ride or not.

Any one of the non-Interstate routes across the Rockies in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, or New Mexico will make for a great ride. The geography of the landscape varies so much it's hard to comprehend it all.

Decide what sorts of things you want to see, Google them, and make your choices. You'll just have to accept the reality that 80 to 90% of what you'd like to see isn't going to fit into your trip, and you will be bored by some of what you have to travel through in order to see what you want to see. Do what you can and don't fret about the rest. The result will be one helluva good time!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Oh man...

so much to see and so little time. We rode Rt. 50 all the way out a few years back and that was nice. Black Hills area and Sturgis in 2014 and that was nice too. Our 2018 trip is going to be a four corners of the U.S.A. trip. I have to wait for my wife to retire because there will be no time limit on that trip.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree on Cody and the Buffalo Bill Museum. We were unable to ride Beartooth Pass because it was snowed in (June). Million Dollar Highway in Colorado is phenomenal as well. If you are into historical rides, part of Lincoln Highway or Route 66 is an option. Illinois has, IMHO, probably more of the old sights from 66 still available for visiting. Needles highway, Pacific Coast Highway, and a multitude of others are out there waiting to knock your socks off. We spent 71 days doing the lower 48 and there were still things we didn't get to.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Have fun planning your spyder trip for 2018.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    so much to see and so little time. We rode Rt. 50 all the way out a few years back and that was nice. Black Hills area and Sturgis in 2014 and that was nice too. Our 2018 trip is going to be a four corners of the U.S.A. trip. I have to wait for my wife to retire because there will be no time limit on that trip.
    There's not a lot to see right at the four corners area but it is a gateway to the Canyon Lands parks of Utah and the Grand Canyon and the south portion of the Colorado Rockies. Be forewarned though, the Canyon Lands area is a HEAVY tourist area in the summer and hotel rates are steep and booked a year in advance. If you plan to go there plan early and book early. That is one of the main reasons Spyders in the Red Rocks was held in late September. If you're thinking that "no time limit" will allow you to casually travel the Arizona/Utah region and stop whenever and wherever you want you better rethink things. Last spring, in May, I had trouble finding hotel rooms in Flagstaff and no hotel rooms or campground spot in the Canyon Lands region. I gave up on going through Utah, rode to Las Vegas, and home.

In late September when I was traveling to Red Rocks from Colorado I found campground spots to be in short supply. I met a guy in Hanksville, UT who was on his way home to California and had booked a last minute room in Page, AZ. It cost him $300, I believe it was, for one night.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Black Hills, Badlands National Park, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Utah National & State Parks (Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon). Not a bad sight among this group. And this group is all in just three of the states.

Those state by state tour guides available at Barnes & Noble are good places to start and get some great ideas.

ALL on my list to see & for history fun id like visit few historical mines out that way

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Ride of a life time

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    The wife and are planning on an extended Spyder trip in 2018, as we already have 2017 booked, out west form Ohio. We plan on going west to see the GREAT country we live in. At present we are looking at 4 to 6 weeks. Any ideas suggested from members would be greatly appreciated. Also, if we could meet up with any members to ride the local highways and byways would also be great. Please all Spyderlover members have a safe and Happy New Year.
    Alaska! That says it all, On the way don't forget a side trip To Chicken,Alaska.
    I have done most of the rides suggested (except some of Utah North to south) , Every pass over the Cascades and Sierras, Sturgis area, 4 corners, Tail of the Dragon and the Smokies, Highway 101 down the coast, Highway 50 (CA, NV,UT,CO,great KS not so great), Lots of Route 66, Ozarks, All of then were great ride but NONE of them compare with the trip to Alaska.
    This year for us its the Blues Highway Memphis to New Orleans then over to Nogalas AZ to ride highway 93 up to Canada then back home with a side trip to the Going to the Sun Highway in MT
    Ride safe my Buckeye Friend
    Last edited by Large1; 12-26-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There's not a lot to see right at the four corners area but it is a gateway to the Canyon Lands parks of Utah and the Grand Canyon and the south portion of the Colorado Rockies
    We did that area several years ago. I am talking about the four corners of the U.S. Washington State, Maine, Key West, southern tip of California, all on one nice long ride
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If you make it as far as Oregon, give me a shoutout! My wife is from Ohio and me Pa. WE have lived here in Oregon since 1978.
    Larry
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One of the best "loop trips" I've ever taken was vegas to Zion National Park to Bryce Canyon down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon out through the painted desert to south rim of the GC and down into Sedona AZ onto RT66 into Oatman AZ (little miner town) with wild donkeys roaming around and down to Lake Havasu City (home of the real London Bridge) and huge lake of the Colorado river finally back up to Vegas by way of Laughlin NV.
    Ive done this more than once and plan to do it again this time on 3 wheels!

Spyder Garage

Default Consider ryding Route 66 From Chicago to Santa Monica Pier

Consider touring along historic route 66. There are maps and tour books available to help you discover many old pieces of the road that still exist. Allow 14 days to go from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier--There is so much to see. Add a side trip to Santa Fe (an old alignment) and Grand Canyon.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RT Limited, 590 GPS and KradleLock, Prius GPS sun hood, Soft travel bags, LidLocks helmet lock, Freedom Trailer and BRP Hitch, UltraGuard 1/2 Cover.

Spyder Garage

I would say that since you are taking an extended trip that I would plan your trip. Choice a few things to see in each area. There are so many things to see and do in each state you travel through.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    Sure sounds lke fun. O-H

I-O !

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Consider the weather, elevation and balance with the time of year

If you're heading to the SW try to avoid the desert in June, July, August if your heat tolerance is low. SW is better in the shoulder seasons, or allow flexibility to head to higher elevation or northern routes in the summer.

Head to SpyderFest in late April, then take in Route 66 through Oklahoma and on west if that suits your plans in May; you may get some windy days, but things will be warming up in the SW.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

When you get to the Black Hills, give me a shout. I can show you or lead you on some fantastic rides.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I have a few sites that I don't believe have been mentioned that are a must see if in the area. In Oregon, the Painted Hills near Mitchell, Or., Crater Lake in Oregon. Another is Craters of the Moon which is in Idaho and I don't think anybody mentioned Hover Dam. You could spend a year just visiting places out west. Sure is a beautiful country we live in.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander