Thread: new scam

Spyder Garage

Default new scam

I just got an email that there was a problem with one of my credit cards, they wanted me to go to a website (not identified as the card carrier) and give them my info. Made a call and found out the company has a website dedicated to this kind of thing. SICCUM!!!!

john

Spyder Garage

Sounds like just a regular phishing email. They send out millions of emails everyday and hope to catch a few folks. That's how these criminals make a living. You can get them claiming to be from any credit card company, bank, paypal, itunes.

There is one simple rule. Never click on a link in a email that claims to be from any financial company. Also only access your account(s) through your browser.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep, first rule of emails is never click on a link even from a company you know. Go directly to their website and log in with your regular credentials. If it's legit there will be a notification waiting for you to review.

scammers are getting very sophisticated and can make an email look quite real.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warning. Tis the season for phishing and scamming.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i received a call the other day from a computer support company, they said last year i paid 165.38 to have service done, and they had a mess up with their systems, and wanted to give me a refund. i told them to send it to me, but he wanted access to my computer to be able to take care of it. i said no, but he insisted that w/o access, he couldn't refund my money. at that point, i told him to keep the money, and hung up
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i received a call the other day from a computer support company, they said last year i paid 165.38 to have service done, and they had a mess up with their systems, and wanted to give me a refund. i told them to send it to me, but he wanted access to my computer to be able to take care of it. i said no, but he insisted that w/o access, he couldn't refund my money. at that point, i told him to keep the money, and hung up
    Looks like you dodged a bullet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    cuznjohn,

I remember what happened to your computer. I mentioned to you about going on thepiratebay.org to download a movie. On some sites like that there is malware that gets into your computer, your system gets locked, and a message appears that you are to call the number displayed on your screen. When that happens, you have to go into your web browser, and click quit. I've gotten that message many times to call them. I then run my malware program to clean my system. I'm watching a movie now called I.T. with Pierce Brosnan about a hacker that turns his world upside down. It never made it to the big screen (I don't think). It's a great movie, IMO.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wait a minute,
    are you folks trying to tell me there are
    nefarious things happening through
    e-mails and on the net.
    SHOCKING

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm so deeply disappointed, that I think I could cry...

(But I NEVER open any email from a source that I can't identify... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Wait a minute,
    are you folks trying to tell me there are
    nefarious things happening through
    e-mails and on the net.
    SHOCKING
    Naahhhhhhhhhh! Life is good and the internet is all true. There are many helpers out there that are willing to come into your computer and fix it for free.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is another reality. When people forward emails and leave everyone's email address in the email, the spammers or worse, finally end up with these. Therefore they now have links between friends. AND they send their emails "from" your friend with spam or a virus included. Usually, these will have "I found something interesting" or such as the subject. You will also see your friends in the Cc. You will automatically click on it because its from your friend.

Accept the fact that all emails are spam or a virus until proved otherwise. Look at the addresses carefully, a lot of times if your friend which is really johndoe@aol.com, it will be johndoe@anl.com, I'm not sure why they bother but they do.

Something that will help everyone, along with deleting all email addresses from forwards, is to add a signature to your emails. The spammers don't pay attention to that and won't include it in their email. That way anytime you send someone an email they can recognize that it really is from you. And vis-versa.

Another thing to pay attention to. "Coupons, from Costco/Kohls/BestBuy etc. These are spam, With rare exception the real companies DO NOT SEND coupons this way. If you do business with a company almost all of time they send you something they will have your name or user name in the salutation. Pay attention to this.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.