Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Caught in the rain!

I know for most of you this is old hat, but this was a first for me.

The forecast said rain maybe tomorrow so I took my new Spyder to work this morning. I grabbed my Frogg Toggs on the way out the door, as an afterthought. I'm glad I did!

Fifteen miles from home the rain started to hit me. I pulled under the eaves of a 7-11 store and put on my rain gear. No boots, though, only leather street shoes. They got soaked.
    I could barely see through my faceshield. The water didn't shed, and the inside fogs instantly if I close it. I had to leave it up a click, letting the raindrops smack me in the eyes but clearer than if it were closed.
    The last ten miles home is twisty and dark, and the reflective paint of the road lines is worn off and doesn't reflect anymore. Not bad when the road is dry, but they flat-out disappeared tonight. I had a few scares when cars would come by from the other direction and I was temporarily blinded by the glare. I stayed on the road, though. High pucker factor.

The rain was coming down at .75"/hour, which for us is a pretty good storm. The roads here are not crowned very much, and rain doesn't drain well, so hydroplaning is a concern. I took it slow and had no problems in that sense.
    I made it home safely, and learned a few things on the way, like making sure that your rain pants are pulled way up and your rain jacket is pulled down and covers the top of the pants. My belly was soaked!

However, I need to learn about a couple of other things:

Visibility through the faceshield and windshield - how do you get the water to shed quickly? How do you keep it clear from fog?
    Waterproof boots - any recommendations? I have little feet and wear a size 6.5 boot, and a lot of styles don't come that small.
    Windshield height - the stock windshield is too tall for me. I have a SCalSci tinted shorty on my 2012 RTL that I like; are there any other recommendations?

Thanks!
    Myron
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

For starters, use Rain-X (plastic) on your windshield and visor, that helps shed the water quite well.
    I always ride with motorcycle boots (BRP) That are waterproof.
    Glad you made it home safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well glad you made it safe Its a learning process & finding right gear for you. Water resistant foot ware almost any type will work as long as you can control what you need to. None are 100% when riding!
    I learned to keep a dry pair at work & essentials (but I had the space). If you dont think you will encounter rain much you may just try a overnight bag of spares, either on bike (refresh monthly) or where someone can deliver to you if need be. It is fairly common here in Louisiana so we were cut some slack with work RainX makes a good anti-fogger that has worked on my visor, but some visors are made of wrong type plastic you need to check.depending on your helmet they may have a special visor you can order¿ There is also was anti-fog disposable patch for eyeglasses is advisable to keep handy visit eye glass store they may have free samples at counter

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I ride to work every day, rain or shine. Frogg Toggs are decent, put the hood up before putting on the helmet and water wont run down your back. Make sure the pockets are closed.

Use Plexus or Rain X plastic on your faceshield. It will help shed water, but nothing is perfect. Fogging will happen no matter what you use. Keep it cracked open, but just a little. I use a paperclip on the faceshield to crack it 1/8 to 1/4 inch, depending on the helmet. This is enough airflow above 40mph, below that I open to the first detent.

As for boots, check with Cycle Gear. They have a wide variety of fairly priced waterproof boots. For your size look at the boots for women that have no designs on them. They have been 100% waterproof for me, just make sure your rain suit is over the boots, but your pants either pulled up, or tucked into your boots. That will keep your pants dry.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad that your "Trial by Fire" ended okay!
    When I'm riding in the rain: I always drop the windshield as low as possible. I use the wind, to help keep the my faceshield clear. If you tip your head to the side: it'll blow the rain off of it.
    I also ride with mine clicked up just one notch... I've not had much trouble with keeping my glasses free of rain, but I suppose that it could be an issue. Rain-X might just help!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use rain x plastic on the visor and the windshield. Works great!
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you learned a lot. Rain (like cold) will find any and every uncovered place, so make sure you've got your Frogg Toggs, boots, and gloves all where they are overlapping. I didn't see waterproof gloves mentioned and they are essential. I agree that a hood worn under your helmet will do a LOT do keep rain from running down your back. The RTs tend to blow street water at you from behind, so your waistline and neckline are both a bit vulnerable.

You might consider some rain gators for your boots. Here's a sample from JP cycles. 136-161_A.jpg

I agree the Plexus or Plastic Rain-X will help keep the fog out of your face shield. Or, you can use Pledge (the dusting spray).

BTW, I keep my rain gear in a compression stuff sack like this one. You simply wad the gear in the bag, then when you pull the 4 straps the bag is compressed to push the air out of the bag. After compression, you have a hard ball about the size of a small cantaloupe that's easy to store. 43260_cur.jpg
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Ah....Live and learn....

I learned the same way here in sunny southern california...I did know tricks to deal with weather from living in Texas, were the weather can change in a heartbeat, but will not go into those. I did get the gear needed and have it on hand. Much of the above mentioned. I have toggs though the one piece work much better and you can also get covers for your shoes. But like most things I prepare for I have only been caught in the rain 2 times in the last 5 years....but you know the saying about better having it......
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

try using a dryer sheet on the inside of your shield to reduce fogging.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up De-fogging cloth

You could use a de-fog cloth on the inside of the face shield. Got mine for skiing. My helmet has a second layer of plastic securely attached on the inside( I forgot it's actual name). My cheap a$$ helmet has a breath guard and the shield has never fogged up.
    The times I've been caught in the rain on the RT, we kept surprising dry. I did make a splash guard of the back fender though.

A big +1 on the rain-x for plastic

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Faceshield:
    For the outside best thing is like Bob said - lower bike shield and let air flow, turn head side to side and will blow water off. I polish whole outside of helmet, including shield with honda polish and that helps as well (like rainx). If it gets really bad I will give a quick wipe with back of gloved hand.
    As for fogging, look into the pinlock... Have it on my Neotec and it is great. Here in FL get plenty of fog (humidity) and rain but never have a problem with these techniques.

Boots:
    Well I need good boots for my volunteering with FD and other things so I use same boots for riding. Waterproof and composite toe. Not motorcycle boots but they work great for my multiple purposes... https://www.amazon.com/Bates-GX-8-Go...2&keywords=gx8

Windshield:
    Personal but I like the stock on the RT, can lower enough to get air or raise just enough to block if I want. I typically ride with it down except on the highway when I want a little more quiet from the excessive wind.

And I always have my rain suit on bike... Also my rule is stay drive on ride TO wherever you are going, but if caught on way home I'll usually just keep moving. Don't really care if I get wet as long as I know I'll be home soon and can change.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

F4 windshields act like they already have rain-x on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    You could use a de-fog cloth on the inside of the face shield. Got mine for skiing. My helmet has a second layer of plastic securely attached on the inside( I forgot it's actual name). My cheap a$$ helmet has a breath guard and the shield has never fogged up.
    The times I've been caught in the rain on the RT, we kept surprising dry. I did make a splash guard of the back fender though.

A big +1 on the rain-x for plastic

Kaos
    It is called a PinLock. They come on a few helmets. They work quite well.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For boots you want something that is made of Gortex. TCX has some great ones and they are now sold at Cycle Gear. They've never let me down.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I agree. I've already picked up a bottle of Rain-X Plastic and treated my helmet. Windshield is next.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now THAT's the spirit!!

Merry Christmas!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rode down to Coleman Powersports in the pouring rain this AM to buy myself some Christmas presents. All the rain gear worked great. Will pick up the Rain-X Plastic too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leeallen1111 View Post
    Rode down to Coleman Powersports in the pouring rain this AM to buy myself some Christmas presents. All the rain gear worked great. Will pick up the Rain-X Plastic too.

Woodbridge or Falls Church?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Woodbridge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leeallen1111 View Post
    Woodbridge

They are OK, but I like Falls Church a little better. Usually a better selection of gear.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    They are OK, but I like Falls Church a little better. Usually a better selection of gear.
    Woodbridge is farther distance wise but quicker and easier to get to. I have been very happy with the service folks