Spyder Garage

Default RECOMENDATION WANTED FOR ADJUSTABLE FRONT SHOCKS

I have a 2016 RT Special and have added the Baha-Ron Sway Bar and a Laser Alignment.

I usually ride without a passenger and still have some diving on the front end around turns even with the new sway bar.

It was mentioned to me to add a set of firmer adjustable shocks and would like some help from you in choosing them.

Also, is a new toe adjustment required after replacement ?

Thanks for help with this.
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Spyder Garage

The shocks will probably change ride heigth which will affect toe in. Good idea to have it checked.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIVING ????

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    I have a 2016 RT Special and have added the Baha-Ron Sway Bar and a Laser Alignment.

I usually ride without a passenger and still have some diving on the front end around turns even with the new sway bar.

It was mentioned to me to add a set of firmer adjustable shocks and would like some help from you in choosing them.

Also, is a new toe adjustment required after replacement ?

Thanks for help with this.
    Considering the better Sway Bar ...... could you be LATE braking to far - at or into the turn or do you think weight is a factor ( not intended to be nasty with my comment ) ...... just a thought ................... TOE adjustment would be advised depending on how much the Frame to ground distance changes ...... Ask SpyderAnn - She's an expert ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

If you have the non-adjustable shocks you can get stiffners or add the adjusters front BajaRon. If you have maxed out on adjustments try Race Tech or Elka, Fox or Progressive. Check the sponsor/vendors here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For most RT riders, we suggest adding the Baja Ron adjusters to the stock spring/shock assembly. This firms up the spring rate enough that most RT riders are very pleased with the handling. The next step up is a set of Elka shocks and they will customize the spring rates and adjustments to your riding style and weight. Its a big jump up in price though. I love the Elka's and have a set on my F3 but for most, the adjusters are a huge improvement for a lot less money.

As to your original question, comparing Fox to Elka, they are both a step up from stock Sachs shocks but the Elka are much more controlled and progressive. Having had both on my F3, I much preferred the Elka.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Elka's

I went with the Elka's on my 13RT-S and love the ride. NOT cheap though!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Carl!
    I agree with JC... Try adding Ron's preload adjusters to the stock shocks (While you're having your alignment checked at the same time!)
    It's a lot less-expensive option, and we already know a GREAT place to have this work done.
    (Ron & Derek added mine...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Try placing more air in your front tires

Adding more air pressure to your front two tires can make a high difference in corning, especially in mountains riding! Something you may look at! You know cold weather air pressure is different from warm weather air pressure!

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, I did not know about the Baha Ron adjusters. I will get in touch with Derrick on them as a start.

Mike, late braking could be my issue as well. Ed and I are always exploring new mountain roads and I tend to sightsee when I should be watching for sharp turns !! Many a time I have one of those "Oh Sh*T" moments.
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]