Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

The road side service plan is a must. I have had AAA in the past but now use an RV plan (Coach-Net). Both Coach-Net and Good Sam have their adherents, service is pretty comparable and cover all your vehicles, including motorcycles. I know that Coach-Net does unlimited towing, not sure if AAA does that. When you need to be towed to a dealer a 50 mile tow limit, for example, probably would not get you to a Can-Am dealer.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Why I switched from AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    The road side service plan is a must. I have had AAA in the past but now use an RV plan (Coach-Net). Both Coach-Net and Good Sam have their adherents, service is pretty comparable and cover all your vehicles, including motorcycles. I know that Coach-Net does unlimited towing, not sure if AAA does that. When you need to be towed to a dealer a 50 mile tow limit, for example, probably would not get you to a Can-Am dealer.
    Yep AAA has a 200 mile limit and only 2 a year. Good Sam (yes must be the RV plan to get the motorcycle covered) has unlimited miles and not to nearest dealer (if you show good reasoning that the closest dealer is not acceptable). In 130k I have had to use AAA once ('10 RT locked in gear in TN) and last year used Good Sam in middle of KS..when I decided to hit a rock and ruin my front tire and rim...excellent service from Good Sam in a challenging situation.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default A Passport is a MUST ... Driver's Licenses are NOT acceptable!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Brent!
    I have a question: Will the Enhanced New York Driver's License be sufficient to get you into (and out of...) Canada?
    Or do you need a Passport now?(Okay: TWO questions! )

A Passport is a MUST ... Driver's Licenses are NOT acceptable!
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Wow.....this thread is getting me all excited about a solo trip myself....anyone want to come....errr never mind!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Insurance requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I take all my trips solo. Over 60K with no substantive issues. You appear to be planning it right. The advice is all great. Of note, if nothing has changed, you'll need to have a current insurance card, certifying you are covered for the period you will be Canada.
    If you're buying trinkets or treasures, don't pack em, have the stuff shipped. If they won't do it, you can either get it online when you get home or you don't need it.
    I don't worry water bottles or a bunch of contraptions. I stop when I need or want to and for example, take the GPS off the throw it in the trunk or frunk.
    And, take some kind of first aid kit.
    Most of all just enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't aware of having to get something special from my insurance carrier? Will they know what I need if I tell them I'm planning to travel through Canada and into Newfoundland?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Going into Canada..check that your credit card does not charge you a foreign transaction fee..just thought of one.
    Based on a quick Google search it looks like the no foreign fee applies to specific cards, not card issuers or card brand, e.g., only some of Amex and Capital One cards qualify.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I wasn't aware of having to get something special from my insurance carrier? Will they know what I need if I tell them I'm planning to travel through Canada and into Newfoundland?
    My State Farm agent knew exactly what I needed. On only one occasion have I been asked by a Canadian Border Officer to see my proof of insurance. I don't think it referenced the provinces I'd be visiting, but it did cover the dates I would be in Canada. My agent made the window large enough that if a problem developed I'd still be in compliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

I called my insurance company( GEICO) and asked if I needed proof of insurance when I go to Canada ( for the 10th Anniversary homecoming) they said "have your insurance ID card with you". Also, GEICO said that is all I need.

Call your motorcycle insurance company to see what they say. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Proof of insurance is, I believe, required in all provinces of Canada. Highly unlikely that it will come up at the border. If you are stopped for some reason by the police in Canada. Not having proof of insurance wth you will result in a fine and you may not be able to continue until you can get it. Proof of ownership is also required with the same consequences.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Insurance cards

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Proof of insurance is, I believe, required in all provinces of Canada. Highly unlikely that it will come up at the border. If you are stopped for some reason by the police in Canada. Not having proof of insurance wth you will result in a fine and you may not be able to continue until you can get it. Proof of ownership is also required with the same consequences.
    Did some quick internet searches and it appears that there is a pink card for Canadian residents and a yellow card for non Canadian residents for proof of insurance. Either way I'll plan to contact my insurance provider and see what they say.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Don't use a GPS (actually dislike them...just got rid of my last one)..iphone does everything I need. .
    Have you had any issues with GPS signal on your iPhone when out of a cell service area?
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default No issues at all

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Have you had any issues with GPS signal on your iPhone when out of a cell service area?
    No issue, I also have an add on GPS unit called a bad elf, that plugs into the Lightning port of my iPhone and is a true GPS receiver. So that's my backup.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default No firearms for me

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Didn't read every post and if not suggested... firearm(s).
    I don't have a permit, but from what I have read it would be next to impossible to legally get a handgun from ny through Canada, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland ........

ill be be relying on my charm and good looks to get me by
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Must. Resist. Urge.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, they worked on me
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

When I went through Canada to Alaska back in 2011, the Canadian boarder officer asked me if I have Gun or Bear spray. I was told these two not permitted. As a matter of fact they pulled over another biker in front me to search the bike not sure what for though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A credit card and cell phone, if stopped by the locals, YES YOU WILL NEED PROOF OF INSURANCE, PLATE REGISTRATION, AND DRIVERS LICENSE, sorry do not know what it it called in the US. I never had any issues crossing back and forth till one time was asked to pull to the side and wait. Long story short , wanted to see if the bike was mine, pulled out a soaked envelope of papers and all of a sudden was good to go. JUST A FYI, LEAVE YOUR WEAPONS AT HOME IF CROSSING THE CANADIN BORDER.

Spyder Garage

Speaking of border incidents. When we crossed over into the Yukon Territories and stopped for passport inspection, the spouse moved her ahead in error. They had her pull over and gave her the full search treatment. I was behind her on the other , and they let me go right through.

I am guessing they are even more touchy these days. Recommend no games or jokes. Security is a big issue now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    A credit card and cell phone, if stopped by the locals, YES YOU WILL NEED PROOF OF INSURANCE, PLATE REGISTRATION, AND DRIVERS LICENSE, sorry do not know what it it called in the US. I never had any issues crossing back and forth till one time was asked to pull to the side and wait. Long story short , wanted to see if the bike was mine, pulled out a soaked envelope of papers and all of a sudden was good to go. JUST A FYI, LEAVE YOUR WEAPONS AT HOME IF CROSSING THE CANADIN BORDER.
    Agree all the way
    2012 rode to Alaska from Idaho with all my papers in order. I was crossing into Alaska and the 1st thing I was asked was if I had any guns.I thought that was strange seeing that I lived in Idaho and just road across Canada.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default Solo ride

Talk to Greenhorse (SL). He did a 22,000 mile solo tour last summer.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

I gotta be honest here. If it wasn't for the whole Canada thing, I'd tell you to throw away the trip-tik, lose all the fancy planning, and just go ride.

I'm a veteran of far too many solo trips to count. Last summer was 3 weeks, 8500 miles from the east coast to Arizona, North to Montana, back south to New Mexico, then home. No plans, no trip-tik, no worries. Just ride.

I find it far more refreshing and exhilarating to just pack and leave. Get up in the morning and decide what direction for the day. Too much planning makes it too structured, like the rest of my existence has to be.

Jim

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

Default No firearms brought into Canada

I don't have a permit, but from what I have read it would be next to impossible to legally get a handgun from ny through Canada, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland ........ ill be be relying on my charm and good looks to get me by

Do NOT even attempt to bring a firearm into Canada. Bad. Bad.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Border Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Speaking of border incidents. When we crossed over into the Yukon Territories and stopped for passport inspection, the spouse moved her ahead in error. They had her pull over and gave her the full search treatment. I was behind her on the other , and they let me go right through. I am guessing they are even more touchy these days. Recommend no games or jokes. Security is a big issue now.

Both US and Canadian border inspectors are very wary of irregular acts. While waiting in line to proceed, remove your helmet. That way your whole head, not just your eyes, can be seen and compared with the passport photo. Remove your sunglasses. Look the officer(s) directly in the eye and answer the questions. Volunteer nothing. If you are prone to go on and on with "stories", shut up.
    2014 ST Limited