Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pickups trucks,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always been a fan of Jeeps...
    Whenever I bought one; I knew that it was built here, and used American workers to put it together.
    (Okay: it didn't always seem as if that was a good thing... )
    Now; they even import some of their new models from Italy, and are in fact owned by Fiat?
    Does this help our economy?
    Other than keeping some Jeep Salesman and Service techs in Business: I kind of doubt it.

It's the new World economy at work!

Okay... I'm off my soapbox now!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This thread is an interesting read. I have no axes to grind or no specific favorites. These days, the choices are immense, trucks are no longer utility vehicles, and $50K will almost buy you a nice one.

I have owned one pickup only. I bought a Dodge Ram basic 2 x 4 with six cylinder engine and a 4 speed manual back in 1978. I bought when they were trying to save Chrysler Corporation from demise due to their poor quality. I had no problems with this over two years and 14,000 miles. I did hit a deer head on and was able to undent the front by taking off the grill and pounding it out. Fortunately, no other damage occurred.

My 78 had a bench seat, no carpeting, and it did have an AM radio. That puppy cost me $6,500 and at that time, the most expensive vehicle that I had purchased. Everyone I knew, wanted me to haul stuff for them, and all the dents that ended up in the box were from those particular sorties. Since, I have had no desire to own another.

Now, just trying to climb into one of the new behemoths would be more effort than I can bear with my bad hip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've always been a fan of Jeeps...
    Whenever I bought one; I knew that it was built here, and used American workers to put it together.
    (Okay: it didn't always seem as if that was a good thing... )
    Now; they even import some of their new models from Italy, and are in fact owned by Fiat?
    Does this help our economy?
    Other than keeping some Jeep Salesman and Service techs in Business: I kind of doubt it.

It's the new World economy at work!

Okay... I'm off my soapbox now!
    Not many Jeeps are built in Toledo anymore. There is a newer facility here that pumps out some of the old favorites like the Wrangler. I understand the new ones with the X in the tail light are built in Mexico and others are built in facilities around the country. After the sale to Chrysler it seams they would stick the Jeep name on anything that would sell, without any of the Jeep qualities. Not a lot of research in the above, just my opinion. Just remembered, Dad got fired from there 98 years ago this month. At that time it was the Overland plant.

Spyder Garage

Default wow

Yesterday I got a chance to drive the tundra and talk to several people that own them, very solid truck. I got the chance to drive a rock warrior model. very impressive. I also got to drive a 16 GMC great ride. Guys I am more confused then when I first started looking, there is simply no clear winner. I know what I want in a truck and they all offer great utility . I look at the titan this week, just to add more stress to my plate...Yes I am going back on buying American only.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the trucks all seem to be good: pick the dealer that you think you'll be able to trust the best.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We have a local dealer that specializes in low mileage 2 and 3 year old lease vehicles. If you don't need the latest and greatest these are great values. Yes, there are a lot of P/U trucks leased especially high end ones.

Spyder Garage

I have always been a Ford guy, but the truck I liked the best when I was looking this year is the GMC Canyon with the 4 cyl diesel. It runs smooth, has plenty of power and delivers excellent overall mileage. Try the diesel out before buying another gasser. I ended up OT buying, because I wasn't ready.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Standard feature with Nissan Titan from the factory.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Just bought a 2016 Titan crew cab with the 5.6 Endurance engine. nothing but a painted box. Was hoping it would come from the factory sprayed like my 2014 frontier was. I put a couple of pieces of carpet in the box for now.

Spyder Garage

Default test drove

I drove the titan today did not like it compared to the dodge or ford. the gmc was right there .Ill get back to guys in a couple of days sitting down to sort this out. I am not looking for new Frank G where are you located, ill travel for a good deal. The dealers in nj crazy. I looked at a14 with 35k and the dealer wanted 40k and would budge ...so I walked..

Spyder Garage

One of my younger brother's owns a business and has several work trucks. He has mainly used Chevy and Ford and had good and bad in both brands at times. He had a few Dodge trucks and in his opinion they had the the most issues . He's got 1 Toyota Tundra right now and it has proven to be good so far ,except for gas mileage.

I think ALL brands have lemons from time to time no matter who's name is on the hood. It is just hard to tell what to get.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Just bought a 2016 Titan crew cab with the 5.6 Endurance engine. nothing but a painted box. Was hoping it would come from the factory sprayed like my 2014 frontier was. I put a couple of pieces of carpet in the box for now.
    Looks like it's an optional item now. Probably to save dollars and save weight for better official MPG.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)