Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickups trucks,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    It's only me but I would buy AMERICAN ONLY, if possible I notice Ford is having aluminum body issues
    GM is even showing that in their ads, thin soft metal beds and bodies.
    Drive train wise they both are top notch.
    Dave
    The choice of an all aluminum body saves considerable weight which will enhance fuel economy. This concept is not new My old 06 F 150 had an aluminum hood. To dump a load of bricks from a bobcat into an unprotected bed is just stupid. Like I posted earlier the new EcoBoost with the 10speed will be a game changer, Yep 3 overdrive gears. Some day the foreigners may figure it out.

Spyder Garage

One thing I don't like on the f150 is "auto stop/start".
    when you come to a full stop, like a a red light, the engine turns off.
    as your foot comes off the brakes it restarts.
    A TRUE PAIN IN DA BUTT.
    there is a manual switch to kill this feature. Every time you restart the truck you gotta
    remember to hit the switch.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post

Its 4x
    i keep getting 18.5/19 mpg.
    that's with mixed driving hyway/local

Thanks. I was hoping it would be higher.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that if I wanted an aluminum body on a motor vehicle: I'd rather have a Cobra!

Super Snake 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that if I wanted an aluminum body on a motor vehicle: I'd rather have a Cobra!

Super Snake 02.jpg
    That'd make a really eye catching trailer towing tug!!

Just do 'em all up in matching colours; the Cobra, the trailer, and the Spyder - you'd get a lot of attention!! And you could make your annual migration trip a whole lot quicker!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My point: Aluminum bodies don't take well to hard usage. If you're buying a truck for the sake of owning one: get the beer-can bodied Ford.
    Look elsewhere, if you actually want to use it for anything...

A Cobra towing a Spyder: how cool would that be???

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying a truck

It is only my opinion but....
    I only buy American products, unless
    there are no U.S. products,
    then I go with whatever is the best highest
    rated foreign made.
    I own a shop truck it's a Ford F350 crew cab duley
    it was at the time the least expensive, if GM or Cheve
    were the same price I would have got the GM made.
    That Ford now has 302850.0 yep well over
    three hundred thousand miles, it is on engine #2
    because that is cheaper than a new truck.
    I have 2 Chev HHR's we use for deliv. and general sales
    and service they have over 120 K on them and never had
    any problems with them.
    Everyone has their favoriate I would go with that one,
    I would do your home work and get the one with the
    best dependabily record
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 12-18-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I have been Ford for a lot of years and they have been very good to us. No more recalls than any of the others. As far as the aluminum body commercial, I don't know anyone dumb enough to dump a load of rock on their truck bed as they did. You're going to be seeing more aluminum to satisfy economy requirements.

Came from a V 8 to the 6 Eco boost. Very good mileage and plenty of power to pull our V nose trailer, 2 sleds and gear.

Truck hunting is tough, good luck.

Like the fact we're dealing with an American company that didn't need bail out money.
    Last edited by Saluda; 12-19-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bob, all the original Cobra's had Aluminum bodies even the six Daytona models ( that kicked Ferrari's A** ) ....Mike
    I knew that...
    We have a fella here in Grahamsville, who actually once had his hands on an original Cobra aluminum body...
    (About 30 years ago: he found it in a private collection. )

Spyder Garage

Default Truck hunting

I have decided to buy an American product. I don't think that was ever a question on my part. Any way after reading all the posts and going to my local dealers I still have to pick one and I am telling you its hard trying to find the color with options and the right gearing , Heading out to another ford dealer this morning, salesman left a message saying he has a match,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of good trucks out there. I do not do a lot of hauling, but it is nice to have when you need it. I also like having the capability of pulling anything from my 4x8 open trailer to pulling a 20' enclosed trailer without ever breaking a sweet. I also like being able to terrorize sport cars at a moments notice. My 02 lighting has been in my family 12 years, and will be here for many more.
    Even though I only get 15 mpg, and I think that sucks, it isn't too far off from some of the modern trucks that don't have that nice supercharger whine.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default today

Well today was a good day test drove the Ford 150 with the 5.0 v8 2014 extended cab, had most of the items I wanted but not a match as I wanted a silver truck ,They had a dark gray. nice ride I could see me in it. now chevy tomorrow, then GMC..and ill do the dodge ram just so I don't leave myself short of a good deal..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wonder what percentage of pick up owners go with bed liners or mats ? Would think that should eliminate some fear towards the aluminum body although most people that own them don't haul much or really work them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Wonder what percentage of pick up owners go with bed liners or mats ? Would think that should eliminate some fear towards the aluminum body although most people that own them don't haul much or really work them.
    My Grampa Denman had a saying about trucks:
    "The first thing that you do with one, is haul a load of chicken-****. Then; you start hauling rocks."

Supposedly, the load of "process chicken feed" was put down first, so that nobody would sit down on the job!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I own a Tundra CrewMax, its a 4x4. Just traded my '14 for a '17. I've owned both Tacoma's and Tundra's over the last 25 yrs. My Tundra gets 15 mpg running around town. If I do longer trips on the interstate the mileage runs about 18 mpg. When I tow our 30 ft camper mileage is about 9 mpg. Towing sleds its about 12 mpg. These are real world numbers during both summer and winter driving conditions. They pretty match what's on the window sticker of the truck.

I have friends with Ford's and Chevy. Their mileage doesn't stack up any better than mine (especially when towing). I think the 20 mpg Ford and Chevy are claiming is a total fraud in the real world. It may be that in the perfect testing world? My uncle has a diesel RAM 1500. He gets 29 mpg, real world driving. If I were looking for a truck solely based on mileage numbers that's what I would buy.

The Tundra has PLENTY of room and PLENTY of power. It's a nice truck. The best part is....you just drive the thing. The only time I'm at the shop is for oil changes. The trucks are bullet proof. None of my Ford and Chevy friends can say that.

I have another friend that own a repair shop. He is a die hard Ford man. He just did his year end totals. What vehicle did his shop spend the most money on for parts (to fix customer vehicles)? The Ford F-150.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post

The only time I'm at the shop is for oil changes. The trucks are bullet proof. None of my Ford and Chevy friends can say that.

"I can."

I have another friend that own a repair shop. He is a die hard Ford man. He just did his year end totals. What vehicle did his shop spend the most money on for parts (to fix customer vehicles)? The Ford F-150.
    "Is that possible due to the number of F 150's out there in comparison to the rest ? Buy American or as close as you can."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brand myopia is a great way to escalate a discussion into an argument.

Besides; doesn't Toyota build their Tundras in America?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-20-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a comment and a question, no argument (or plans of).
    Built here but not an American company, right ? Would guess that a lot of the profits and benefits would go to another country ?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Standard feature with Nissan Titan from the factory.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    I have decided to buy an American product. I don't think that was ever a question on my part. ,
    Nissans are designed & built in Canton, MS.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Buy American or as close as you can."

In this day and age with part outsourcing, labor and production plants all over the world is there really such a thing as "buy American"? I mean, even "American" companies don't build and source parts, product here 100% anymore. Apple is an American company, you think their products aren't built in China? Ford is an American company, you think they don't assemble vehicles in Mexico? Toyota is a Japanese company, you think they don't assemble vehicles in the USA? BRP is a Canadian company, they assemble ATV's and Side X Sides at their plant in Mexico. All companies that want to compete source parts and labor globally.

"Buy American" plays well in politics but in reality its a global economy and production world.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a comment and a question, no argument (or plans of).
    Built here but not an American company, right ? Would guess that a lot of the profits and benefits would go to another country ?
    That's very true.
    But I bet that they're hiring the majority of the workforce from here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Just a comment and a question, no argument (or plans of).
    Built here but not an American company, right ? Would guess that a lot of the profits and benefits would go to another country ?"

I'm not sure that is true? Apple is an American company, they source and build most of their products outside the USA. They skip out on paying hundreds of millions of dollars in USA corporate taxes by having an office in Ireland.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone either. I just think its short sighted of people to think/believe that just because a company was founded (is in the USA) they are benefiting the USA economy more than a foreign company. It would be great to see some hard facts on this topic actually.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I said or as close as you can.

Most likely true on the work force comment, that's a benefit.