Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickups trucks,

Spyder Garage

Default Pickups trucks,

sense I retired I have been wanting to buy a truck, Ill be snow birding pretty soon and will be towing the RT-S down south, I have not found a home yet but I know that's not an issue as there is plenty to chose from in Fl, With that what are you guys driving and why, I have two friends of mine that loves the tundra, I am torn between the GMC 1500 SLE extended cab and the ford F150 FX. with V8. I have a 5x10 tilt trailer that the RT fits on just fine. I have been looking but feel like I maybe missing something, Any advise is welcomed .
    Thank you Mo

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PK-UP CHOICES

I have had ZERO issues with my 2003 Toyt Tacoma trk......... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just got a f150 supercrew cab, with the 2.7 eco-boost engine.
    so far I'm smiling.
    i had a 2010 hemi that was nice, but the ford is niceer and gets
    better mileage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Your going to get brand "x" is the best. I've got my reasons for buying what I did.
    My advice, go look and test drive em all. Compare what features each has, to the ones you really want/need.
    They all make decent trucks. pick the one that fits your needs/budget.

Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice truck

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    I just got a f150 supercrew cab, with the 2.7 eco-boost engine.
    so far I'm smiling.

i had a 2010 hemi that was nice, but the ford is nicer and gets
    better mileage

I am anxious to learn about your gas mileage in that truck/engine combo. I hope it is 2WD.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I am anxious to learn about your gas mileage in that truck/engine combo. I hope it is 2WD.

Regards,
    Joe T.

Its 4x
    i keep getting 18.5/19 mpg.
    that's with mixed driving hyway/local

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Toyota Tacoma. Bullet proof, great gas mileage and great resale. No problem towing what you want to tow.

Spyder Garage

I couldn't resist, I'm still driving my 2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 cause it's got an AWESOME subwoofer in the stock ford sound system....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Your going to get brand "x" is the best. I've got my reasons for buying what I did.
    My advice, go look and test drive em all. Compare what features each has, to the ones you really want/need.
    They all make decent trucks. pick the one that fits your needs/budget.

Good luck.

^^^^THIS^^^^. It's all a matter of personal opinion, much like an "oils" thread. If you can afford anything you want, take the time to drive em all
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax owner with 155k miles on her. Bought it new and it has been a pretty good truck. You will be hard pressed to find more interior room than the Crewmax offers. I just change the oil every 5k miles and rotate the tires. She will pull like a government mule with the 5.7 engine.

Yes Toyota will cost a little more on the front end but I know lots of guys who had Ford/Chevy/Dodge and they seem to end up going to the garage from time to time or getting recalled for this or that. They just don't seem to keep them that long before they trade one in and get another. Me? ... well I am allergic to car payments so I will continue to drive my 2007 until the wheels decide to fall off which I figure will be another 150k miles or so.

Hard to go wrong with a Toyota IMHO. also assembled here in America from non-union folks.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another one you might want to check out is the Honda Ridgeline. More along the lines of a Toyota Tacoma in terms of size etc. We have a 2013 model and chose it over a Tacoma, not because we didn't like the Tacoma but because we liked the Ridgeline that much better. The 2017's came out this year and are pretty nice and somewhat different in styling than the prior model. If you have never looked at one you should just give it a look. There is a trunk under the rear bed that is really useful. The truck bed is way tougher than the usual competition too. We plan to keep our 2013 for as long as possible cause we like it that much.

We have owned an F250 Super Crew with the 7.3 diesel and liked it and a Toyota T100 which was great and was the truck which ultimately morphed into the Tundra. As others have said, just get what YOU want but don't ignore any of them to give yourself all the options out there.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Trucks

Years ago I had a Tacoma great little truck, My only issue with it was my size. being 6tf 6inches tall and 245. and no support in the front portion of the seat. and I found the seats to be small but it towed great. I am looking for a 2014 to 16. does not make sense to buy new these days. I was looking at lease returns of those years big savings 7k to as much as 15k. I like the tundra a lot, the one issue I have with them the tundra is that they are thirsty. Gm or ford I don't have any issues on fuel . they are both right around 20 mpg .I don't plan on towing more then 3k at any given time. Ill the Honda is to small along with many of the mid size trucks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A lot of info on trucks for you, we all have our preferences. Mileage changes greatly when towing, there are many variables. In our area of the country, used 4 x 4 are hot sellers, 4 x 2's not so much.

BTW the Ford F-150 with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost makes for a great TV, Great mileage empty or towing. Ask Jack, he pulls a Work-n-Play with one. I have a F-250 with a 6.2 V8 14.4 empty 6 to 7 Loaded
    I see you are open towing, this may be a issue with snowy and salted roads. You may want to consider an enclosed trailer. Covers and tarps tend to mess up the paint, and you cannot seal the bottom from salt and dirt infiltration.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Frank G; 12-17-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Nissan Frontier, Honda Ridgeline, Canyon GMC, Toyota Tacoma

Here is a link for you to 2017:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What will you do with the truck?

We've owned:
    Nissan Frontier 2000
    Toyota Tundra 2005
    Nissan Frontier 2012
    Dodge Ram 3500 turbo diesel 2011

They all have their plusses and minuses. For sheer towing capacity and size, the Ram was pretty much it. But just try parking a dually in town. The 3/4 size Tundra was a great truck, bulletproof but the transmission shift points weren't optimized for towing. The Frontiers have been our favorites, the crew cab is roomy for the dogs and seats comfy for taller adults than say a Tacoma. Towing is average for a mid sized truck, plenty for motorcycles and Spyders.

So the main question comes down to what you'll need a truck for and where will it be driven most.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've had both a Tacoma and the Tundra. Can't get a stick shift with the V8. Love both trucks. As someone mentioned, go and test drive what's available and make your decision.

Spyder Garage

Drive a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6 double cab.Love this truck and have been driving Toyotas since 1984.But you have to find what you like the best.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get something stylish!

pickup-trucks-1929-roadster-0615.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my vote goes to Ford... the 2017's F150 super crew cabs are really nice... and its an AMERICAN owned company.. invest in AMERICA !

osm

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default try this great guy

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Years ago I had a Tacoma great little truck, My only issue with it was my size. being 6tf 6inches tall and 245. and no support in the front portion of the seat. and I found the seats to be small but it towed great. I am looking for a 2014 to 16. does not make sense to buy new these days. I was looking at lease returns of those years big savings 7k to as much as 15k. I like the tundra a lot, the one issue I have with them the tundra is that they are thirsty. Gm or ford I don't have any issues on fuel . they are both right around 20 mpg .I don't plan on towing more then 3k at any given time. Ill the Honda is to small along with many of the mid size trucks.

messicks
    auto sales check out his trucks n the internet cleanest low mileage trucks around.a stand up guy honest and stands behind everything he
    sells....

Spyder Garage

Default Tundra

sense I retired I have been wanting to buy a truck, Ill be snow birding pretty soon and will be towing the RT-S down south, I have not found a home yet but I know that's not an issue as there is plenty to chose from in Fl, With that what are you guys driving and why, I have two friends of mine that loves the tundra, I am torn between the GMC 1500 SLE extended cab and the ford F150 FX. with V8. I have a 5x10 tilt trailer that the RT fits on just fine. I have been looking but feel like I maybe missing something, Any advise is welcomed .
    Thank you Mo
    Another vote for Tundra. I live in south Florida and I have a 2007 with the V6 / 4.0 engine. (Not made any more) Getting ready to turn 200,000 miles and have only replaced the alternator. Awesome truck!'

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

Default Mid size

I went out yesterday and test drove the GMC . very nice but seat was to short ,I also drove the Tacoma again seat was short. I am going with full size . On Monday ill look at the ford and GMC .I know the Toyota is 75 % made here but they are not good on the MPG , I am towing back and forth to Fl and I do small handy man jobs to stay busy. I don't want a crew cab ,would like 4x4 with all options nav backup cam leather heated seats and mirrors with 308 rear gearing. From what I have heard that's the best gear for light towing and MPG .I am leaning towards the ford but I really like the GMC dash and front end, I like the fords gate with the handle for getting in the back. its alloy of work looking for a truck that works for you these days....thanks guys...

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's only me but I would buy AMERICAN ONLY, if possible I notice Ford is having aluminum body issues
    GM is even showing that in their ads, thin soft metal beds and bodies.
    Drive train wise they both are top notch.
    Dave

Thank you Mo