Spyder Garage

Default BRP Certification

My biggest concern is that there are not enough BRP Technicians out there or have a BRP Platinum Certification for service. Is there a class available for customers to attend the technician of BRP so that customers can actually be BRP certified?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    My biggest concern is that there are not enough BRP Technicians out there or have a BRP Platinum Certification for service. Is there a class available for customers to attend the technician of BRP so that customers can actually be BRP certified?
    My previous conversations with the techs has led me to understand that only a employee under contract can attend the class & it's an expensive class covered by corporate expenses, & the employee may even be required to pay forward the expince of travel & lodging, & only be reimbursed after completing & passing the course. There is no platinum level training. The platinum level applies more to the dealers survey reports of sales & service, is judged by BRP but conducted by JD power. So if you dont mind working for a dealer for enough time to get the class then quit & go freelance Is the only other way I felt a individual would get the proper training on
    ( please ask your techs to verify)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

most brand tech training is for the mechanics sent by the dealerships. There are schools in AZ (MMI) that can train you but don't know if they are brand specific or just general....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

And...there are becoming fewer and fewer branded techs. The complaint I get here is it costs to much, and the techs don't stay with the dealer that bought the class.

My favorite dealer did not even have a certified tech last summer. The Anchorage dealer dropped the line, and we are down to one selling/servicing dealer for our whole state. My dealer was a Platinum dealer in 2012--but I know they are not now.

I an now hinky about future purchases and whether or not to stick with the brand. I have invested about $200K over the years, and feel a bit like it has been stuck to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    most brand tech training is for the mechanics sent by the dealerships. There are schools in AZ (MMI) that can train you but don't know if they are brand specific or just general....
    MMI has two schools. One in Phoenix and one in Kissimmee. When I first showed up at Kissimmee there were a couple of Spyders in the equipment lot but for whatever reason they must not have been able to work anything out with Can Am. MMI does have agreements with and provides factory training for HD, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki. I am not even sure where Can-Am holds their classes.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default WHO? Fresno, CA

I was asking Fresno, CA if they were BRP Certified. In response, they said, "They were certified look online." They didn't show me any certifications whatsoever. How do I know who is BRP Certified? I checked the website on BRP Can Am Spyder, but I have a hard time uploading it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    I was asking Fresno, CA if they were BRP Certified. In response, they said, "They were certified look online." They didn't show me any certifications whatsoever. How do I know who is BRP Certified? I checked the website on BRP Can Am Spyder, but I have a hard time uploading it.
    Well that sounds like pure HOG wash If certified they yes would have it on line, but should be able to show you the certificate in house. Much like a DR office or any other car shop with ASE certified people they post that document within view

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

Not brand specific. Nephew attended.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The certified mech either attends a school or the majority get certified on line. Most shops now do not have certified techs/mechs. They have one "certified" mech and the rest are hired off the street without any experience.

RideNow has 50+ dealerships across the country and this is their in-house practice. Most shops follow this module. One "certified mech" will oversee the rest of uncertified mechs. A very small percentage of tech/mechs have ever been to and are "Factory Certified". I request to see there "certified" certificate. I have yet to find a true "factory " certified mechanic. Most Certificates if any will be an online certificate. i.e. answer questions and view video's online.

If you find someone you like and are satisfied with, request that person each time. I follow this religiously.
    Not all factory or online mechs are any better than the non certified. It really comes down to the individual integrity and due diligence of the person actually working on your equipment not his pedigree.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    .... It really comes down to the individual integrity and due diligence of the person actually working on your equipment not his pedigree.
    Jack
    Doesn't it always??? Very well said!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Merely being "certified" doesn't necessarily mean they have any real clue on how to work on your bike. It just means they went to school. Kind of like a doctor. Just going to school doesn't mean they are competent to work on people. That is why they have extensive post education OJT. A newly certified tech can be next to useless. Look for an experienced tech, one with years on the job, over some piece of paper.

On BMWs I am very experienced and have more skills and experience than many "certified" techs, and certainly more common sense and trouble shooting skills.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Not brand specific. Nephew attended.

​Jack
    Incorrect. I attended so I do know about the school. Students go through 36 weeks of general instruction on motorcycles; six weeks of it basic theory, 30 weeks of hands on in motors, suspension, electronics, etc. Then they take one or more brand specific hands on courses which are designed in conjunction with the brand. HD (24 weeks), BMW (12 weeks), Honda (24 weeks), Yamaha (12 weeks), Kawasaki(12 weeks), and Suzuki(12 weeks) are the brands they are currently teaching.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you find someone you like and are satisfied with, request that person each time. I follow this religiously.
    Not all factory or online mechs are any better than the non certified. It really comes down to the individual integrity and due diligence of the person actually working on your equipment not his pedigree.

Jack
    Very well put, Jack. I honestly don't know if my tech is BRP Certified or not, nor do I care. He's treated my RTS as well as myself with great service and he seems to really care. What more do I really want.....a cerificate on the wall? I think not. jmho wtfdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Dealership has enough "paper on the wall", to mimic a Doctor's waiting room.
    I'll stick with them, and the Technician that has gotten me through 7 riding seasons.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Dealership has enough "paper on the wall", to mimic a Doctor's waiting room.
    I'll stick with them, and the Technician that has gotten me through 7 riding seasons.
    Gee, I never thought about expressing it in "riding seasons." As per the dates below, I'm just under four years on Spyders, but I'm still in my "first season!"
    Today we're doing a 180+ mile group-ride for lunch.

The forecast is for 86 high, partly sunny. It's 73 right now, at 5:30am.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Incorrect. I attended so I do know about the school. Students go through 36 weeks of general instruction on motorcycles; six weeks of it basic theory, 30 weeks of hands on in motors, suspension, electronics, etc. Then they take one or more brand specific hands on courses which are designed in conjunction with the brand. HD (24 weeks), BMW (12 weeks), Honda (24 weeks), Yamaha (12 weeks), Kawasaki(12 weeks), and Suzuki(12 weeks) are the brands they are currently teaching.

Which School did you attend? How long ago? Nephew attended in 2008 I believe. MMI orMTI? Nephew attended in Phoenix. I hope you did not waste all that time and money and are now reaping the benefits by working full time as a "certified" but not Factory trained Tech/Mech.

​Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 12-27-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Which School did you attend? How long ago? Nephew attended in 2008 I believe. MMI orMTI? Nephew attended in Phoenix. I hope you did not waste all that time and money and are now reaping the benefits by working full time as a "certified" but not Factory trained Tech/Mech.

​Jack
    I attended MMI in Orlando, graduated in 2014. And once again, for the brands taught there, it is "factory" training. Students in Yamaha can take the tests to qualify for Bronze and Silver while in school, certification granted once they are employed at a Yamaha dealership. People hired off the street by a dealership get sent off for training for a couple of weeks once they have some experience under their belt. At least one of the locations they use is MMI at Orlando. Suzuki, HD, and Honda all have levels that the students can go through and then actually receive the certificates once they are employed at a brand dealership.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Merely being "certified" doesn't necessarily mean they have any real clue on how to work on your bike. It just means they went to school. Kind of like a doctor. Just going to school doesn't mean they are competent to work on people. That is why they have extensive post education OJT. A newly certified tech can be next to useless. Look for an experienced tech, one with years on the job, over some piece of paper.

On BMWs I am very experienced and have more skills and experience than many "certified" techs, and certainly more common sense and trouble shooting skills.
    Ironic statement...Same thing for aircraft mechanics.

I have turned down many schools offered to me, actually many of my experienced co workers also decline the schools. Reason being is that the companies want you to be locked in by signing a payback agreement if you leave them in less than the calendar time stated. Many of the schools are not very beneficial to those with years working on the actual aircraft. So the companies send guys with very little experience so they can fulfill the dealer requirements. Sadly, the guy comes back from school, still remains clueless and with little experience and then seldom works on what he went to school for. The techs with a proven track record still do the majority of the real work.

When I became an instructor for training aircraft mechanics, students would tell me all sorts of horror stories about other instructors. Often the other instructors had little to no practical experience working on the aircraft and simply "read their lines" as they instructed. Guess I was lucky, I was recruited as an instructor based on my experience which I conveyed to those wanting to learn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Ironic statement...Same thing for aircraft mechanics.

I have turned down many schools offered to me, actually many of my experienced co workers also decline the schools. Reason being is that the companies want you to be locked in by signing a payback agreement if you leave them in less than the calendar time stated. Many of the schools are not very beneficial to those with years working on the actual aircraft. So the companies send guys with very little experience so they can fulfill the dealer requirements. Sadly, the guy comes back from school, still remains clueless and with little experience and then seldom works on what he went to school for. The techs with a proven track record still do the majority of the real work.

When I became an instructor for training aircraft mechanics, students would tell me all sorts of horror stories about other instructors. Often the other instructors had little to no practical experience working on the aircraft and simply "read their lines" as they instructed. Guess I was lucky, I was recruited as an instructor based on my experience which I conveyed to those wanting to learn.
    My nine solid months of Tech School in the Air Force taught me almost nothing on the practicalities of aircraft maintenance. It did give me some background, but my years of working in my dad's service station taught me a lot more about practical mechanics. I spent five more years getting very good at aircraft and avionics service and repair. Once I graduated I easily got a job working on 707 and 727 cargo planes. No certifications needed. The one certified guy was the "manager" and was completely useless actually working on planes.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No replacement for experience. I send our bikes to an experienced race tech at my local shop because I know he'll do the job right. Sadly the don't work on Spyders and I have to use a dealer farther away, where they neglected to align the drive sprocket spokes with the rear wheel after changing the belt.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow