Thread: GPS Choice

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Choice

My wife has a friend who is offering us a Garmin product at half price. I don't need a GPS but when did need ever factor into farkles. I am going on a cross country trip next June so it could be handy. Anyway, I need to pick one. Which GPS is the Spyder community using? (and there are bonus points if it is a Garmin product)

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL came with a Garmin 660. I like it,has a big screen and is easy to use. I also have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and that one works well also,older unit,not waterproof but it hasn't bothered it yet.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use a Garmin Nuvi 1450 in my truck. I use it on the Spyder when I think I'll need/want a GPS
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Choice

My only garmin is the 660 that came with my STL is quite handy when you get the settings right & learn tricks. I really like the screen is glove friendly so i can use it with my glove on. I also set mine up to watch fuel gauge so at the right milage a icon will display & offer to redirect me to a gas station. It provides a list & gives option to choose. You can program the mileage warning so very handy. I am looking to add a kradlelock to help keep it locked on bike for next yr. I also have a
    tom tom that is for the truck or on loan to family. Handy digital map basically but the OS (operational software) is different & can be confusing both are good but its more of what do you like?
    Last edited by Bfromla; 12-15-2016 at 06:31 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you buy any used Garmin, sit right there and have them log into their Garmin account and change the login info to your email and password. If you don't you will not have lifetime maps which comes with all Garmins now.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The current Garmin being offered with the Spyders, is the 590. For many years, they came with the 660.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    My wife has a friend who is offering us a Garmin product at half price. I don't need a GPS but when did need ever factor into farkles. I am going on a cross country trip next June so it could be handy. Anyway, I need to pick one. Which GPS is the Spyder community using? (and there are bonus points if it is a Garmin product)
    I picked a Garmin Drive Smart because it is a great GPS plus, you can see it in the daylight. It is a good unit.

Spyder Garage

My first 2011 came with a 660 and now my 2015 has a 590. I love it!! Beware of the curvy road route planning - it can make a very short ride a very long one!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default garmin

hi,
    I had a 590 mount fitted, as I use this for my music etc on my other transport (Honda vfr 1200)
    had the 550 previous, .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    My first 2011 came with a 660 and now my 2015 has a 590. I love it!! Beware of the curvy road route planning - it can make a very short ride a very long one!
    Now THAT sounds like a useful feature! I'm going to have to upgrade!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I believe that the 2016+ are back to the 660. The 590 was only for 2015.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the helpful input. I'll explore the 590 and 660 since they come with the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default 590

What I don't see mentioned often is the smart phone app that works with the 590 as well as the TPMS. Yes, there are other devices for TPMS but I like having fewer gizmos on my dash. The feature I absolutely love about the app is the ability to bring up radar over my route. I can then make an informed decision when the black clouds are ahead to re-route, duck for cover or ride on. It's the main reason I bought the 590 for my Harley and then added the mount for the Spyder. Smaller feature is the ability to shoot a contact from my phone to the Garmin to save the re-entry of an address.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    If you buy any used Garmin, sit right there and have them log into their Garmin account and change the login info to your email and password. If you don't you will not have lifetime maps which comes with all Garmins now.
    I got burned by this. I bought mine used from a dealer who didn't bother to get the login info from the previous owner, and a one-time map upgrade is fifty bucks. I still have old maps!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I got burned by this. I bought mine used from a dealer who didn't bother to get the login info from the previous owner, and a one-time map upgrade is fifty bucks. I still have old maps!
    Let me suggest a call to their technical support number and explain the situation. They might be able to help you. They are the most accommodating and reasonable people I have ever had on the other end of the phone! It is true customer service!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    Let me suggest a call to their technical support number and explain the situation. They might be able to help you. They are the most accommodating and reasonable people I have ever had on the other end of the phone! It is true customer service!

thehawk
    Same thing happened to me, once. I contacted Garmin and they were able to reset what they had in their system for the original owner so that I could register mine - but it took a few days - apparently they checked with the original owner to make sure it was not stolen.

I seem to recall Garmin telling me that if the original owner deletes it from his or her account, you can then register it and be able to do updates.

I have the 660 on my Spyder - very useful When I rode to Tucson and back, last year, I used it to ensure I wouldn't run out of gas - it has a feature that will tell you where the nearest gas stations are located - whenever I was approaching an exit that had a gas station, I'd check with the Garmin to see how far the next station was - as a result, there were a few times I'd stop and refuel when I still had half a tank or more, because the next station was a LONG way!
    Last edited by Dan McNally; 12-17-2016 at 09:44 AM.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful input. I'll explore the 590 and 660 since they come with the Spyder.
    I have not posted this in the For Sale section yet, but will be shortly -- have a Spyder "branded" Garmin 660 (includes the dealer list, is now updateable from BRP directly) that I will be selling. I swapped the 660 for a 590 because of the curvy road feature (hubby really likes the 590 on his Indian). Anyway the unit is almost new (four months of use) and includes EVERYTHING needed to install (the BRP bracket and wiring harness / mount for the center of handlebar for example). The BRP 660 is just over $1000 if you were to pick up from them and the bracket is $175. Since the unit is "slightly" used (4 months on my RT), I am asking $800 ... though that is not a firm price. It does come with lifetime maps and those stay with the unit; Garmin knows by serial number what devices are LM and those that are not.

PM me if interested ..... thanks .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

One warning about used GPS' is the battery inside.
    After replacing batteries in about 20 different Garmin's for people now, it is something to consider.
    If you hook the GPS to power on the Spyder then this does not matter.
    Just letting you know.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black