Thread: 12 Volt Outlet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 Volt Outlet

Looking to install a 12 volt socket. I believe I can do this myself with some advice on what kind and some step by step instructions. SOS to Lamont or anyone who has done this mod. Awaiting advice. Txs in advance.

P.S. I have all panels off as of this writing. Doing other mods. I know how to remove trunk if necessary.
    Last edited by ZOSO; 04-08-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added PS

Spyder Garage

I did my own when you buy the kit it comes with a full set of instructions with pics.. Its easy they even give you a template to make your hole in your trunk compartment. Did it in about 1hour or so.

Spyder Garage

still have my instructions if you want them. Let me know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZOSO View Post
    Looking to install a 12 volt socket. I believe I can do this myself with some advice on what kind and some step by step instructions. SOS to Lamont or anyone who has done this mod. Awaiting advice. Txs in advance.

P.S. I have all panels off as of this writing. Doing other mods. I know how to remove trunk if necessary.
    Are you talking about the BRP 12 volt outlet or something else? We installed two Powerlet outlets in our dash (fed through a powerbus) along with the BRP outlet in the trunk to give us three total 12 volt outlets. The two on the dash are easily accessible for most items that plug in. I haven't had much use for the BRP outlet as most of the items I want to plug in don't do me any good in the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Here is what my wonderful husband,bjt did for me.
    Dash

And this is what I plug in most of the time
    Powered Tank Bag
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Are you talking about the BRP 12 volt outlet or something else? We installed two Powerlet outlets in our dash (fed through a powerbus) along with the BRP outlet in the trunk to give us three total 12 volt outlets. The two on the dash are easily accessible for most items that plug in. I haven't had much use for the BRP outlet as most of the items I want to plug in don't do me any good in the trunk.
    Ditto for me. I have never used the BRP outlet, but use the Powerlets in the dash regularly. I will also add that if you wish to power multiple outlets or other accessories, you add an auxiliary fuse block (power buss) which is switched via the Spyder switched accessory (12 V outlet) wiring.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Scotty .... I love the PowerLet setup you guys got there until I saw the price of each pieces. Oh Nellie .... I have to take a loan out for that. But it sure look nice.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Scotty .... I love the PowerLet setup you guys got there until I saw the price of each pieces. Oh Nellie .... I have to take a loan out for that. But it sure look nice.
    Forty bucks (give or take) does seem high compared to a $12 outlet, but keep in mind that it includes the wiring harness, fuse, and everything needed. You can go straight to the battery with the right kit, if you wish. When you are outfitting a $15,000 motorcycle, it's not much of a dent. The convenience is well worth it. IMO!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Forty bucks (give or take) does seem high compared to a $12 outlet, but keep in mind that it includes the wiring harness, fuse, and everything needed. You can go straight to the battery with the right kit, if you wish. When you are outfitting a $15,000 motorcycle, it's not much of a dent. The convenience is well worth it. IMO!
    -Scotty
    I agree on the convenience Scotty, I use mine to power my GPS and my ipod and charge my phone and whatever else. For the long trips I wouldn't want to be without them. I love how I have powered my tank bag too, I can keep my phone in there while it charges and it is already when I get to a stop and if I need it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Here is what my wonderful husband,bjt did for me.
    Dash

And this is what I plug in most of the time
    Powered Tank Bag
    i did the same after seeing dltang's thread works great looks great ....and yes he is a wonderful husband...you are blessed
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    i did the same after seeing dltang's thread works great looks great ....
    With so many of these rigged up the same, people are going to start to think its standard issue.
    -Scotty
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

-Scotty
    How did you get $40? By the time I added up the dual outlet, the wiring harness, the external wire, the thru bag connector and in bag connectors. It was almost $200. I was like, nice but no way.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

How did you get $40? By the time I added up the dual outlet, the wiring harness, the external wire, the thru bag connector and in bag connectors. It was almost $200. I was like, nice but no way.
    Sorry, I don't have the tank bag thing, so that didn't occur to me. The standard socket kits include the wiring harness and fuse, and are in the $40 range, depending on length of the wiring. An example is the PKT-042-24 kit like I used. Bag connectors, adapters, and the like will certainly increase your cost, but they will with a cigarette style outlet, too.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I don't have the tank bag thing, so that didn't occur to me. The standard socket kits include the wiring harness and fuse, and are in the $40 range, depending on length of the wiring. An example is the PKT-042-24 kit like I used. Bag connectors, adapters, and the like will certainly increase your cost, but they will with a cigarette style outlet, too.
    -Scotty
    So Scotty with the link you have here I could run it right to the battery. Is the length of wire that comes with this kit long enough?

thanks

forget it...I see it comes in different lengths... I love that idea dltang but thought I would have to get the powerbus! Thanks
    Last edited by czdaryle; 04-09-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Check Eastern Beaver for a PC-8. (easternbeaver.com) Fairly small, 2 switched circuits, 6 always powered, ground bus included. Kit I got with relay and harness was about 90 bucks delivered.

john

Spyder Garage

I like ataDude's stuff .... he always comes up with the cream of the crop goodies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

Under $40 delivered and USCG approved so it must be good enough to use on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Ahhhh... mod #1... it's been a while. Note the bold note "if-I-had-to-do-it-again" on where to install it <under the pic>:
    Clicky: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...02&postcount=1

I like ataDude's stuff .... he always comes up with the cream of the crop goodies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

Under $40 delivered and USCG approved so it must be good enough to use on the Spyder.
    Last edited by ataDude; 04-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Here is my set up with the powered bag on the spyder.

Spyder Garage

What is the huge honking contraption on your clutch side bar?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What is the huge honking contraption on your clutch side bar?
    J & M CB Radio/Communication device

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    J & M CB Radio/Communication device
    Looked a bit like a breathalizer -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Looked a bit like a breathalizer -
    I haven't had need for anything like that in a very long time, heck when I could have used one, only the cops had em.