Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode if on a trip

To be Honest with everyone I am now thinking I made a mistake buying my RT, The reason is I have a check engine light that will not go off and as far as I can see the only way to shut it off is a trip to the dealer.
    If it goes into Limp Mode and I am on a planed trip I am screwed it looks like, There has to be some way for me to clear the codes so I can ride.
    The Trip I am planning for 2018 is back to Alaska, Let say I am in Watson Lake Yukon Canada, closest Dealer is In Whitehorse Yukon Canada that is a long way from a dealer.

The RT goes to my dealer today just to get the codes cleared to turn of the light that is a royal pain in the butt as far as I see it.
    There has to be a better way.
    I spent two days reading everything I could find on clearing codes trying every way anyone suggested to no avail.
    I am thinking I made a BIG mistake by not keeping the Wing and just trikeing it
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just Relax

Life is short. Take the Spyder in, I assume it is under warranty, no cost to you, and you will find that it was something minor, and all will be good. My wife and I are traveling from California to Valcourt Quebec Canada in late May, we may have issues and we may not, but I cant sit around and think about the negative that might happen, or I wouldn't even leave the house to go to work, let alone get on any motorcycle! I am looking for the adventure and the what ifs of the trip! That is what makes life exciting. Relax, have fun, don't worry, you and the RT will have a blast. Just talk to any of the folks that went to Alaska This last summer from much farther away than Idaho!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Sorry you feel that way, but it may be that you appear not to understand how fault lights, codes and limp home work. It is no different than your modern car. So if you are not confident to drive your Spyder any distance because a fault light may come on. Then it should be the same for your car.

If a fault light comes on. There is something wrong. If the fault is temporary, the fault light will go off. If the fault light comes on and the Spyder goes into Limp Home Mode. That means the problem makes the the Spyder unsafe to drive or the problem can damage your Spyder. If the fault light comes on and does not go off. Your dealer cannot reset and clear it. That is because there is something broke and needs to fixed. If the dealer fixes it the fault light will turn off by itself. There is no such thing as a trip to the dealer just to reset a code. There is one except to that I can think of related to the brakes. Your real problem with your Spyder is that something needs to fixed. The problem is not that there is a light on.

P.S. I can understand why you may be confused. There is post after post talking about resetting the code. by removing the key, for made up distance, for some specific time or maybe some other made up BS.
    Last edited by billybovine; 12-15-2016 at 11:18 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Not much to go on.....

Unfortunately you have given us little to go on. Check engine light comes on with almost every code these machines have and not knowing the code makes it difficult to make suggestions to help. When the check engine light comes on it is usually along with some other warning light or code. The app "spyder codes" can tell you a lot if you do not have it. Much has been said as to Key walk working or not but it always has for me in clearing codes and warning lights. May just be the computer reset time and the absence of the key. Some resets can take longer than others and RT are more complex. Most codes, if not checked before shutting the engine, will just get stored and the check engine is a reminder that you had a code. If it is a serious problem it will come back.

As to your having made a mistake....I find it annoying that there are so many codes and glitches but I would rather deal with them then have this really expensive ryde suffer serious damage or we suffer a serious accident. It's like an early warning system.... approching a trip with a negative feeling is a bad way to go cause you will spend the whole time waiting for the worst to happen and never enjoy a thing. Relax and enjoy the ryde your trip sounds awesome
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First off, if a check engine light is on wouldn't you want to find out why before you continue to ride? If you just reset or clear it and ride you might doing great damage to the engine.
    Your Spyder is a 2011, how many 2011 cars have check engine lights on? It is the age of computers and safety.

I have gone on two five thousand mile plus trips with absolutely no problems, and I now have over eighteen thousand trouble free miles on my 2015 RTL. I will be going on another long trip this summer for two weeks that will see me putting on about another five thousand miles, and I do that without any hesitation or thought of breakdown.

There are also several people on here who have made the trip to Alaska on there Spyders, you should ask them how their trips were.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 12-15-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHECK ENGINE CODE

Dick you said you looked for ways to shut off the code/light etc..... Now look for HOW TO RETRIEVE - CODES for your 2011 RT ...... and let us know what you found...... then maybe we can help you FIX the problem ....not MASK IT ............... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get on spyderlovers.com go to laminated tell you how to retrieve codes what they mean I believe how to reset

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dick you said you looked for ways to shut off the code/light etc..... Now look for HOW TO RETRIEVE - CODES for your 2011 RT ...... and let us know what you found...... then maybe we can help you FIX the problem ....not MASK IT ............... Mike
    If there are codes available for any active issues; it'll help get you pointed in he right direction.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

could be something as simple as a bad dirty airfilter throwing the check engine light.

Spyder Garage

Default FOR GET ABOUT IT

I have found that the key removal thing is BS as the only time it is used is when the key is first turned on.
    For the Codes It was my bad I turned off the key before doing the 3 button push so all I have is a blank screen.
    Its in the dealer right now so I can find out why its on and take care of the problem.
    Guess I have just been spoiled 148,000 mile on the Wing with out a miss fire then have this happen just 150 mile from a clean bill of health from the dealer when I bought it.
    Going to find out what caused it and then forget about it have a 8000+ mile to ride in June and looking forward to it, Now we are talking about another Alaska run in 2018 looking forward to that one for sure.

Gone are the days of have a miss file the point and re-gap the plugs, Loose the Key Hot wire it.
    Note to self: Ride the Damn thing and like someone said FOR GET ABOUT IT
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what the source of the problem was, once you find it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck and hope you'll get your ride back with no issues.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    To be Honest with everyone I am now thinking I made a mistake buying my RT, The reason is I have a check engine light that will not go off and as far as I can see the only way to shut it off is a trip to the dealer.
    If it goes into Limp Mode and I am on a planed trip I am screwed it looks like, There has to be some way for me to clear the codes so I can ride.
    The Trip I am planning for 2018 is back to Alaska, Let say I am in Watson Lake Yukon Canada, closest Dealer is In Whitehorse Yukon Canada that is a long way from a dealer.

The RT goes to my dealer today just to get the codes cleared to turn of the light that is a royal pain in the butt as far as I see it.
    There has to be a better way.
    I spent two days reading everything I could find on clearing codes trying every way anyone suggested to no avail.
    I am thinking I made a BIG mistake by not keeping the Wing and just trikeing it
    Limp mode can be a scary thing. There is good information posted about your codes and such in this thread. Once you get it fixed from the dealer and you develop some confidence in the machine you will be good to go.

RE: travel to Alaska. Besides the dealer in Whitehorse YT, we are now down to ONE servicing dealer for the whole state of Alaska. Its in Wasilla. There is no dealer in Anchorage (dropped the line), and the service center in Eagle River did not have a Spyder mechanic this summer (2016). Eagle River and Wasilla are connected by family--but don't know what the outlook is going to be for 2017 or 2018. I have adopted a wait and see attitude on further 's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default You MIGHT be right....

I see yours is a 2011. I did a "non-scientific" survey a few months back. Less than a handful of folks had no issues with their Spyder. The overwhelming winner was the 2013 models. I have a 2014 that never ceases to disappoint me (it's currently waiting for me to rebuild and upgrade the air bag system). I never heard from anyone with a model year older than 2013 who didn't have issues. If you are like me and never thought you'd have to get this "intimate" with your Spyder so quickly, join the club! I wish I had at least given the Honda trike a look see. But the damned "coolness" of the Spyder's looks just won me over. I little more money on engineering and less on the visual artistry A)- would have had me actually go LOOK at the Honda and B)- Be much happier with the Spyder if that's what I chose. I wish you the sincerest of GOOD LUCK.
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please let us know what the source of the problem was, once you find it!
    X2

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Large1;1209624]I have found that the key removal thing is BS as the only time it is used is when the key is first turned on.
    For the Codes It was my bad I turned off the key before doing the 3 button push so all I have is a blank screen.
    Its in the dealer right now so I can find out why its on and take care of the problem.
    Guess I have just been spoiled 148,000 mile on the Wing with out a miss fire then have this happen just 150 mile from a clean bill of health from the dealer when I bought it.
    Going to find out what caused it and then forget about it have a 8000+ mile to ride in June and looking forward to it, Now we are talking about another Alaska run in 2018 looking forward to that one for sure.

I would be outraged by your Spyder experience thus far as compared to your stellar history on the amazing Wingy Dingy. I cannot believe that after 150K+ miles and not a single thing ever went wrong, that you bought one of these. Personally, if I were you, I would take it back and get a Golden Wing of Freedom and Happiness!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Buckeye Bleau;1209826]
    I have found that the key removal thing is BS as the only time it is used is when the key is first turned on.

I would be outraged by your Spyder experience thus far as compared to your stellar history on the amazing Wingy Dingy. I cannot believe that after 150K+ miles and not a single thing ever went wrong, that you bought one of these. Personally, if I were you, I would take it back and get a Golden Wing of Freedom and Happiness!

Joe
    OOPS it was not exactly perfect Brakes wore out twice and I replaced the fork seals at 137,000 miles, 30 oil filters and 120 gal of oil other than that it was a great bike. But now its time to move on and get some more riding time with the Wife. It is what it is and I will deal with it. The Spyder went back to the Shop yesterday to have the problem taken care of, the dealer said we can clear the codes I said fix what is causing them.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes!!
    You gave him EXACTLY the correct directions: Fix the problem; don't just clear the codes!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-16-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Large1, if you are riding and you go into Limp Mode you can turn the key off and on - without stopping - and reset the computer. Of course if you have a real problem it will go back into Limp Mode.

I was on the Alaska trip last year, we had 11 Spyders and my husband on a KTM Super Adventure (he traded an ST-1300 for it) we had a variety of model year Spyders and we had no real issues. One of the 14 RT had a check engine and Limp Mode (no loss of power) and we pulled the code and determined that he could safely ride it the 100 miles to Anchorage. The Eagle River dealer took the needed part off a showroom engine and he was on his way. I can understand why the Anchorage dealer dropped the line, they had no clue about Spyders.

I have 180,000 Spyder miles, 95,000 on my 2014 RT, and I do not hesitate to go anywhere on it. Make sure yours is well maintained and you should have no trouble on your trip.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Large1, if you are riding and you go into Limp Mode you can turn the key off and on - without stopping - and reset the computer. Of course if you have a real problem it will go back into Limp Mode.

I was on the Alaska trip last year, we had 11 Spyders and my husband on a KTM Super Adventure (he traded an ST-1300 for it) we had a variety of model year Spyders and we had no real issues. One of the 14 RT had a check engine and Limp Mode (no loss of power) and we pulled the code and determined that he could safely ride it the 100 miles to Anchorage. The Eagle River dealer took the needed part off a showroom engine and he was on his way. I can understand why the Anchorage dealer dropped the line, they had no clue about Spyders.

I have 180,000 Spyder miles, 95,000 on my 2014 RT, and I do not hesitate to go anywhere on it. Make sure yours is well maintained and you should have no trouble on your trip.
    Thanks Ann
    The Spyder is in the shop right now getting the problem taking care of, Now its back to planing for my 8000+ mile ride in June,
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Spyder Garage

Large1
    I sure hope you are going to Birds of Pray Motorsports dealership for you repairs and not the other dealer in Boise.
    The other dealership in the Treasure valley is not recommended by any one that I know that owns a Can Am product and I know many. I personally had major issues with the dealership in Boise.
    If you want excellent service go the Birds of Pray Motorsports in Caldwell. They will pick up your spyder and return it free of charge. They will also treat you like a customer and give you great service without the BS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Large1
    I sure hope you are going to Birds of Pray Motorsports dealership for you repairs and not the other dealer in Boise.
    The other dealership in the Treasure valley is not recommended by any one that I know that owns a Can Am product and I know many. I personally had major issues with the dealership in Boise.
    If you want excellent service go the Birds of Pray Motorsports in Caldwell. They will pick up your spyder and return it free of charge. They will also treat you like a customer and give you great service without the BS.
    I understand that and that is where the Spyder is at this time should have it back Wed.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Spyder Garage

Default Up-Date on Code problems

Got the call this morning from my Dealer the problem with the check engine light turned out to be two different things.
    1: The Evap Canister
    2: The Purge Valve
    That turn out to be the problems
    Then I ask what is the bad news as in cost
    Reply : Nothing, Nada, Zip, Zero You were right the problem was there before so we are not charging you anything to fix it.
    Thank You Birds of Pray Motorsports in Caldwell, ID
    Looks like I have found a winner of a dealer
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Life is short. Take the Spyder in, I assume it is under warranty, no cost to you, and you will find that it was something minor, and all will be good. My wife and I are traveling from California to Valcourt Quebec Canada in late May, we may have issues and we may not, but I cant sit around and think about the negative that might happen, or I wouldn't even leave the house to go to work, let alone get on any motorcycle! I am looking for the adventure and the what ifs of the trip! That is what makes life exciting. Relax, have fun, don't worry, you and the RT will have a blast. Just talk to any of the folks that went to Alaska This last summer from much farther away than Idaho!
    Well said.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This could be the root of your problem. If this dealership sold you the Spyder with a clean bill of health and then keeps resetting your code without fixing the problem every time you bring it in... then maybe look for another dealership.