Thread: Trading RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Trading RTL

I bought a used 2012 RTL this summer with 4,500 miles on it. We really enjoyed it but only rode it about 700 miles. I am considering trading it off for a new 2016. What are the major improvements since 2012? Obviously the larger engine, slower RPMs and better gas mileage. My wife and I ride 2 up and we weigh a total of about 375 pounds. The 2012 doesn't seem to be a real power house with that weight. I bought a cargo trailer but am a little concerned about being under powered. How much more power and improved gas mileage could I expect to see? The dealer was trying to convince me the handling has improved from 2012-2016, but he could be blowing smoke.There is nothing wrong with the 2012, just thinking it might be time to upgrade. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

My first question would be why did you only put 700 miles on it? Do just not have time to ride it more? Would you ride more if you had time? Is there a day coming soon when you will have more time? I ask these questions because a newer model is a large cash commitment to just sit in the garage for an occasional jaunt in the wind. How much do you really want to ride? As much as I ride my 2012 RTl 10K this year, the extra cash out lay is too much for me.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

We didn't buy it until August. I am still working but plan to retire in a few years. I doubt I will ride it more than 6,000 miles per year until retirement. Yes it is a big investment, I hoped to get more performance from the new 1330. Maybe not worth the cost to trade but considering it.

Spyder Garage

2014's and newer are huge improvements!!! I have a 14 RTLimited. My uncle has a 15 Limited and I have a good friend who has a 2013. You won't go wrong with the newer RT.

Not to insult the older (2013 and older), but knowing what I know from experience, if you like your 2012...you will be blown away by the 2016 RT.

The newer RT's get on average 10-12 mpg better than it's predessor. Much smoother ride. Considerable more torque from the 1330 engine over the 998. Better handling (improved front end...wider front end and better struts). Improved electrical system. Cooler ride than the earlier models with two radiators in the front with on-call reverse fans.

In my view, the 2016 would be a much better machine than the 12. My wife and I ride in the mountains 2-up frequently and it never skips a beat. If you can afford it, go for it!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

If you enjoy riding enough to put 5000+ a year you may get enough enjoyment to justify the expense. There are a number of improvements over your 2012,and nobody here that has traded up wishes they hadn't. If the weather is still good where you are go to your dealer and ride a new one. That's the best way to know. It's fun to ride the new ones any way. Good luck on your search.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

With only 700 miles for the season, I am thinking maybe not a good idea to trade up. Lots of money involved and you will most likely take a hit on a trade in.

There is an improvement on the 2012 vs. 2014 and up. The 1330 x 3 is a great engine, the maintenance requirements are less, and the performance is improved. Is it worth the big hit? That is something you will have to decide.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for the information. It will be a little cool to take a test drive this weekend with a predicted high of -9 on Saturday. I was able to buy the 2012 for 14k this summer and they claim to be offering me about that for a trade-in. I would like to ride a 1330 but will have to wait for a while!

Spyder Garage

We have a 2010 RT (his) and a 2012 RTL(hers/mine). We got the 2012 in Oct 2 012 with 65 miles on it, I have about 34,000 on it. The 2010 was purchased in March 2016 with 1097 miles on it and currently has about 10,000. I pull the 622 trailer with the '12. We've been to Oklahoma, the Big Horns three times, Washington state to the coast and back and forth to the Black Hills about 4-5 times a year. Given that we ride 1up on our machines, we seem to be about the average on gas, we are usually within a couple tenths of a gallon when we fuel up. I feel for how we have traveled with ours it has enough power for me. I know it is a personal preference. But right now for us it's what's in the budget. I had a 2015 RTS that I had as a loaner for a trip to the Hills this summer and it was a little quicker on the start and had awesome power at the top end. It took some getting used to the lower RPM shift points. I tried not to like it too much. LOL. I will say that I do like the sound of the 998 engine better, it's a deeper 'throatier' sound.
    Where in South Dakota are you?
    [SIGPIC]
    2020 RTL Petrol Metallic/Dark (his) current Ryde
    2021 RTL Deep Marsala Metallic /Chrome (hers) current Ryde

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I bought a used 2012 RTL this summer with 4,500 miles on it. We really enjoyed it but only rode it about 700 miles. I am considering trading it off for a new 2016. What are the major improvements since 2012? Obviously the larger engine, slower RPMs and better gas mileage. My wife and I ride 2 up and we weigh a total of about 375 pounds. The 2012 doesn't seem to be a real power house with that weight. I bought a cargo trailer but am a little concerned about being under powered. How much more power and improved gas mileage could I expect to see? The dealer was trying to convince me the handling has improved from 2012-2016, but he could be blowing smoke.There is nothing wrong with the 2012, just thinking it might be time to upgrade. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    At the rate you are riding now mite be worth waiting til closer to retirement and who knows how cool the 2018s or 19s mite be
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

on your 2012 you should be able to pull a trailer without any problems. I'd suggest that you keep your RPM's up before shifting. Those shift points should be somewhere around at least 4,500 & 5,000 RPM.

when we had a 2013 RT with the same engine as you have currently, my shift point was normally around 5,500 RPM's. That 998 engine loves those high RPM's. I will admit I do miss the sounds of the 998 but that 1330 is very smooth and I really like the better mileage and less maintenance.

if you can afford it I'd say go for it.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyFyg-2 View Post
    We have a 2010 RT (his) and a 2012 RTL(hers/mine). We got the 2012 in Oct 2 012 with 65 miles on it, I have about 34,000 on it. The 2010 was purchased in March 2016 with 1097 miles on it and currently has about 10,000. I pull the 622 trailer with the '12. We've been to Oklahoma, the Big Horns three times, Washington state to the coast and back and forth to the Black Hills about 4-5 times a year. Given that we ride 1up on our machines, we seem to be about the average on gas, we are usually within a couple tenths of a gallon when we fuel up. I feel for how we have traveled with ours it has enough power for me. I know it is a personal preference. But right now for us it's what's in the budget. I had a 2015 RTS that I had as a loaner for a trip to the Hills this summer and it was a little quicker on the start and had awesome power at the top end. It took some getting used to the lower RPM shift points. I tried not to like it too much. LOL. I will say that I do like the sound of the 998 engine better, it's a deeper 'throatier' sound.
    Where in South Dakota are you?
    We have a place just east of Rapid City. We can be in the Black Hills in just a few minutes. Big Horns, I hadn't thought of that trip, I bet that crossing west of Ranchester is an interesting drive. It makes me pucker to cross it pulling a camper! Thanks for the information. I will have to ponder this before I do anything, not sure it is a the right time to trade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy the new bike, and don't look back: you'll LOVE it!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    go for it. I have had a 2009, 2012, 2014, and now I have a 2016 RTL. I keep trading to upgrade. I love the 1330 motor. I just bought my 2016 and put it in storage for the winter. I am not going to a nursing home and wish I had bought a new RTL. there is time for that when I get "old" I am now 71 years young and ride about 6000 miles per year. my spyder helps me stay young at heart. it is my therapy. don't think to long, just "do it"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you feel happy do it. God bless and have a merry merry holiday.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod