Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Increasing daytime visibility

Could anyone suggest what farkles would be best to get first for my new (to me) RT? My main priority is to increase visibility, daytime as well as night. The bike is black and my last one got wrecked by a driver who didn't see me, so I'm feeling particularly paranoid. Would the Spyderpops daytime running lights or a lighted bumpskid be a better choice, or something else? Or maybe a dayglo jacket? I can only afford one or two farkles at a time and want to get the most for my money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Light, light, and more lights...

10,000 Miles 005.jpgBrakelights 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hi Vis is My Choice!

I also have a black RTS and I really wanted it to stay all black as much as possible. I have added additional led brake and turn lights for the rear from Spyderpops, but that is all. I always run with my fog lights on in the front and high beams during the daytime. I did purchase a high visibility mesh jacket with armor from Fly that is very comfortable in the summer and has a zip-out rain liner. It was the cheapest purchase of my add-ons and probably the most bang for the buck for safety as far as I am concerned. My wife also wears one when we ride two-up so that we can be readily seen. You will quickly find that all of the led light options can get expensive really quick, but if that is your thing, then go for it. Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

JoAnn
    Invisibility is a problem that we all have at times and it's not just because we ride, I have had people pull out in front of me while I was driving a Semi Truck.
    I agree Light more Lights maybe a strobe light on the helmet (Just kidding about the Strobe) could help .
    60+ years of riding I try to ride like no one see's me, Its worked so far but there is always the chance no matter what a rider does someone just may not see you.
    So ride your own ride, Keep it in mind, and enjoy
    Last edited by Large1; 12-14-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always ride as if nobody can see you...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, if I was going to buy one or two lights there's no consensus on which ones? I don't want to go hog wild because of the expense. I am already riding with fog lights and high beams on in the daytime. Right now I'm sort of leaning toward the Hi-vis jacket since it'd be visible from all angles and might give the most bang for the buck. On the other hand I already have perfectly usable jackets, and don't have any aftermarket lights yet.
    Last edited by Questions; 12-14-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get Spyderpop's lighted Bumpskid for up front, and add TricLEDs' extra brakelights to the rear...
    Easy-peasy!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We were riding in slow moving traffic and this woman wanting to merge in was getting very close. I waved both arms and yelled at her, so she rolls down her window and says (don't worry i won't cut you off). I was like no but you are only about a foot away from my leg.
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You don't need a new jacket, you can get a hi-viz vest to go over your jacket.https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/oxfor...iz-bright-vest
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Lighting, works night and day. Improves both conspicuity and the ability to see.

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VISIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You don't need a new jacket, you can get a hi-viz vest to go over your jacket.https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/oxfor...iz-bright-vest
    ..... This choice would be a lot less expensive, just as effective and leave money for Lamont's LED headlight's - which are very very bright $109.00 delivered and easy to put in .......As far as making other drivers more aware of you, I'm an x-leo and it is scary when people at accidents tell you they didn't see that ... Dump trk , Cement trk, Tractor Trl trk, Garbage trk, etc..... They didn't see it because they weren't looking where they were supposed to be. Nothing will prevent you from an accident better than DEFENSIVE DRIVING. Expect the un-expected. I didn't mean to lecture but I want you to stay SAFE ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... This choice would be a lot less expensive, just as effective and leave money for Lamont's LED headlight's - which are very very bright $109.00 delivered and easy to put in .......As far as making other drivers more aware of you, I'm an x-leo and it is scary when people at accidents tell you they didn't see that ... Dump trk , Cement trk, Tractor Trl trk, Garbage trk, etc..... They didn't see it because they weren't looking where they were supposed to be. Nothing will prevent you from an accident better than DEFENSIVE DRIVING. Expect the un-expected. I didn't mean to lecture but I want you to stay SAFE ....... Mike

I can't thank Mike enough for this post, I have been preaching this for years.
    While it is important to be visible, your responsibility as a driver plays a big part. Being in the right place in your driving lane, looking out for other drivers instead of assuming that the others will see you, and being a defensive driver will help keep you alive much better than wearing bright clothes, and lighting your ride up like a circus wagon. I won't repeat the list of vehicles that Mike did, but what has stuck in my mind over the years is, If a vehicle operator is going to run into the side of a train, he isn't going to see you no matter what you do. Take a motorcycle driving course, you will learn more in two days than you will riding for 5 years. Like Mike, I don't mean for this to be a lecture, but ride safe, don't depend on the other guy.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default HI VIZ

If I could only choose one item I would go with the hi viz vest. Very inexpensive insurance to make sure you are seen.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn R View Post
    So, if I was going to buy one or two lights there's no consensus on which ones? I don't want to go hog wild because of the expense. I am already riding with fog lights and high beams on in the daytime. Right now I'm sort of leaning toward the Hi-vis jacket since it'd be visible from all angles and might give the most bang for the buck. On the other hand I already have perfectly usable jackets, and don't have any aftermarket lights yet.
    My wife and I have always ridden with high visability jackets/vests etc. I also ride with fog lights on but never high beams. High beams are a great source of irritation to oncomming traffic and something else for the cage drivers to complain about. Over the years and miles, I have had several police, highway patrol and paramedics stop and thank us for making our selves more visable as they are totally convinced that it is a key issue in not becoming an accident statistic.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

fellow I ride with, he and his wife wear hi vis greenish/yellow modular helmets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, I'm sold on the hi viz vest. Are Lamont's LED headlights the same as the ones in Jim's pictures? That sounds worthwhile. The bumpskid is an attention grabber, but kind of expensive. And maybe some more visible brake/turn signals would be nice.

I agree defensive driving is paramount, but I'm willing to put a little money into the bike just to be even safer! I sure appreciate all your suggestions!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post

I can't thank Mike enough for this post, I have been preaching this for years.
    While it is important to be visible, your responsibility as a driver plays a big part. Being in the right place in your driving lane, looking out for other drivers instead of assuming that the others will see you, and being a defensive driver will help keep you alive much better than wearing bright clothes, and lighting your ride up like a circus wagon. I won't repeat the list of vehicles that Mike did, but what has stuck in my mind over the years is, If a vehicle operator is going to run into the side of a train, he isn't going to see you no matter what you do. Take a motorcycle driving course, you will learn more in two days than you will riding for 5 years. Like Mike, I don't mean for this to be a lecture, but ride safe, don't depend on the other guy.

David
    Very true David. You do not get to be an old rider unless you develop street skills. This includes the ability to see stuff about to happen. My wife would get frustrated at me about me pointing out people getting stupid half a mile ahead of me. But after it saved us an accident a couple of times, and she learned to ride, she changed her tune and now sees it too. You can't prevent all accidents, but you can reduce the chances of them.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BRIGHT LIGHTS , AND LOTS OF THEM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sadly....

Have to agree with Mike....in 99 % of the accidents caused by drivers the excuse is "I didn't see him/her/it". I think it is a standard and lights and jackets will help in many cases but not all. The higher up the lights are the better cause you need to be in their line of vision. I have never trusted anyone to do the right thing. Have had drivers look right at me coming and still pull out with the misguided believe motorcycles stop on a dime. I keep the least amount of distracting gadgets on the bike and only add the GPS when I am in the area that I need it. The day-glo jackets, in my opinion, give a bigger and better area for drivers to see....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I try to always practice having an escape route. Keep scanning for a dangerous situation all around you and if you haven't yet take an MSF course.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lights!

Okay, I'm sold on the hi viz vest. Are Lamont's LED headlights the same as the ones in Jim's pictures? That sounds worthwhile. The bumpskid is an attention grabber, but kind of expensive. And maybe some more visible brake/turn signals would be nice.

I agree defensive driving is paramount, but I'm willing to put a little money into the bike just to be even safer! I sure appreciate all your suggestions!
    Bob Denman has the bumpskid as well as the TRICLED 3rd and 4th brake light LEDS. I have those lights as well and can vouch for them from the rear. To me the byke just doesnt have enough illumination from the rear..... And those are fairly inexpensive and easy to install. I also have the TRICLED in mirror turn signal LEDs ... i figure if someone is behind me they can see those as well as someone in my blind spot in case I don't see them.....

Just my 2 cents....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Swap out the fender reflectors for lights/turns add daytime running lights on the a-arms, LED headlights, a high mount brake light.

RIDE WITH YOUR BRIGHT LIGHTS ON!!!!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default TricLed's

Could anyone suggest what farkles would be best to get first for my new (to me) RT? My main priority is to increase visibility, daytime as well as night. The bike is black and my last one got wrecked by a driver who didn't see me, so I'm feeling particularly paranoid. Would the Spyderpops daytime running lights or a lighted bumpskid be a better choice, or something else? Or maybe a dayglo jacket? I can only afford one or two farkles at a time and want to get the most for my money.

When I added a Spyder to my world. My LEO son said please, please get more lites to be seen/safe. So being a good mama who always listens to her kids (NOT) I did listen this time. There are lots of choices out there. But after 130k+ miles of Spydering I endorse only 1 and that is TricLED (Reggy and Cindy owners). First their product is awesome and they are all about lites for safety (first) and then let's make an impression lites!!! Awesome product and awesome customer service is a winning combination. For me I had the lighted bumpskid on my '14...Spyderpops was great to keep replacing cause some of the lites would fail...on my '16 I went non lites...but because I have TricLeD's safety package of lites my front end and sides are very visible (day and nite)...Enjoy the journey and finding just what is right for you and your desires. Have a Merry Christmas...Santa loves to deliver led's for Spyders!!! Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the comments on adding lights. Read a comment online a while back about helmet colors and daytime accidents. Seems white helmets added to daytime visibility by a measurable amount. Wife and I have white Shubuth (sp) C3 Pro helmets and 5 TriceLED Lighting products front and back to increase our visibility.

Sent from my HTC M10.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin