Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default things we dont do anymore

seems like a dumb thing to remember but, mom always had the covered butter on the table. never was in the fridge. you could spread butter on your bread & not tear the slice to peices. these days even what they call soft butter isnt. like i said, a dumb thing to remember from my youth , was just part of the good old days. any little thing you look back on from your youth ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Putting a cotton swab soaked in Brandy over a painful tooth always seemed effective...
    They don't do that anymore; do they?
    (I also remember the butter on the table...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What about...

Hide and seek, we used to swarm the neighborhood in the summertime from dusk until well after dark. Always at least 15 to 25 playing nightly. Never had any problems or complaints.
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We always left our back door unlocked. The front door was locked but no one, even guests, ever used it. We also left our car doors unlocked when we went downtown to shop. Oh, yeah . . . we used to go downtown to shop, park on the main drag, walk a couple blocks north on one side, cross the street, walk back south, load up all your packages in your unlocked car and go home. Now our small city's downtown is mostly law offices, and no "goes shopping" there much any more.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

A "Hot Tottie" for a cold. When I was a kid - albeit a very long time ago - my grandmother "BigMomma" would make them for her sick grandchildren with lemon juice, water, honey, and a wee dram of bourbon that I think was kept under the sink in her kitchen. (We didn't really know about the stash). Buy boy it sure worked. "Prairie Medicine", as she called it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THIS ONE

" Johnny rides the Pony " that one caused lots of sore bones ......but it was fun ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Headwrench View Post
    .... just part of the good old days. any little thing you look back on from your youth ?
    Three generations of women - my mother, her mother, and me - washing and drying dishes by hand together in our wonderful old farmhouse with a big window at the sink so we could gaze up the hill at our vineyard and barn, and out the picture window past the table to our right at the incredible view across Canandaigua Lake (upstate NY).

Grandma checked out at age 99, and Mom (avid motorcyclist for many years) is barely hanging on at 96, so those sweet memories are solely mine now.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 12-12-2016 at 07:29 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Three generations of women - my mother, her mother, and me - washing and drying dishes by hand together in our wonderful old farmhouse with a big window at the sink so we could gaze up the hill at our vineyard and barn, and out the picture window past the table to our right at the incredible view across Canandaigua Lake (upstate NY).

Grandma checked out at age 99, and Mom (avid motorcyclist for many years) is barely hanging on at 96, so those sweet memories are solely mine now.
    I helped my mom do the wash with a ringer washing machine. I kept getting my hand caught in the ringer. Then we'd hang them on a clothes line to dry.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default SALUTE

I REMEMBER BACK IN THE 1950's WHEN I WAS IN GRADE SCHOOL,
    1. WE ALL SALUTED THE FLAG AND NOBODY WAS INSULTED.
    2. WE PLAYED BASEBALL, BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL, etc AND DIDN'T GET A TROPHY JUST FOR ATTENDING, NOR CRIED WHEN WE LOST.
    3. WE ALL SAID "SIR" AND "MADAM", AND RESPECTED THE FACT THAT THEY WERE OUR ELDERS.
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I helped my mom do the wash with a ringer washing machine. I kept getting my hand caught in the ringer. Then we'd hang them on a clothes line to dry.
    And did your mom have one of those monster ironing machines? It seemed huge to me then, but it was basically a hinged rectangle with an ironing board built into its bottom jaw and, when you lifted its upper jaw, it had a matching surface which was perforated to let you steam the clothes. My mom would lay out a garment, reach up for the handle to lower the upper jaw, and activate the steam with a foot pedal. So, with a loud whoooosh, the monster ironed for a moment before Mom opened 'er up in a swirl of steam, realigned the garment, and pressed the upper jaw down again. She felt quite the lucky housewife to have such a state of the art appliance!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

vix balls, when we had sore throats, our grandmother would take some vix vapor rub, put a little in sugar and make a small ball out of it, then give it to us to eat.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    3. WE ALL SAID "SIR" AND "MADAM", AND RESPECTED THE FACT THAT THEY WERE OUR ELDERS.
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    And we addressed all of our elders with Miss, Mrs, or Mr. If we ever called an adult by his or her first name, the way kids are allowed to do now, we'd be ripped a new one.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

So much to remember...the butter we still have on the table. Remember having to turn on and off change channels and adjust your TV at the set...dial your phone and speak on it where it was, tethered to the cable...getting cleaned up and dressed up to go to the movies...and oh so much more...

https://youtu.be/puGQsQux80k
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Had to go to the nearest river to take a bath! By the time i got back home, i was all sweaty! !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Racing at night from the river bridge to the four corners (five miles) with our headlights off.
    Jumping off the roof of the gymnasium into snowdrifts.
    Walking uptown and speaking to everyone I met.
    Playing marbles (still have mine).

Spyder Garage

I can remember when we had quality time( family time), we do not have that anymore. Also, we respected our elders.

We have cell phones, computers, etc. The world is so fast paced we go, go, go, go, go, go. There is not enough hours in the day to do things that we want to do! Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 12-13-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added to post @ 8:32pm on 12/12/16

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Given that a fair few of us here are 'retired' (for whatever reason) or 'of a certain age', then yeah, amongst those of us frequenting the place, it's pretty likely that are scads of really great memories to be found, if only we can actually recall them (maybe someone should gather them together & publish them? Any takers?) Buuut, just as certainly there are also quite a few memories of things that weren't 'quite so nice'. I'm not referring to those things that were (& likely still are) distressing or upsetting, but rather those things that highlight how far we've come in living memory, & looking back on them, might be just a little amusing.

Things like having to leave the home paddock entirely one day a month or so (a big family & a few stock & farm hands helped) while the 'Honey Pot' toilets were burnt off!! To explain just a little for those not familiar with this concept - we lived in the bush & so, along with fairly restricted water supplies, power only when the generator was running, and still using horses for some of the work around the place, we had outhouse toilets with long drop holes underneath & lids that squirted a little Phenyle on top of the leavings every time you closed the lid (that vaguely kept the flies down a bit & helped keep the odour barely bearable.... aaand...you'll see) but with thirty or so people working on it, the long drops tended to fill fairly quickly! Sooo, once every month or so & a week or so ahead of time (depending on the weather, how hot & smelly things were, & how quickly they were filling) Dad would declare a 'Honey Pot Day' & we'd all plan to work as far away from home & as far upwind as we could!!

On the dreaded morning, we'd open all the outhouse doors & one shed at a time, we'd harness up a horse or two (usually the Clydesdale); & with a little encouragement, they'd drag the outhouses back & away from the pit about twenty feet or so (boy did the flies swarm then!); only then could we dump any used sump oil & some gas down the holes. That all got left to soak in for a bit while we finished pulling together all the necessary gear for our day away from home, ably helped by all 'smart' horses & dogs on the property swarming around us almost as thickly as the flies - just to make sure they wouldn't get left behind!! Once all was ready, & always the very last thing to do as as we left, we'd drop a burning rag into each hole & run!! The Phenyle helped make everything in there pretty damn flammable, but with the addition of some sump oil & gas as well as all the methane that 'self-generated' in the holes, it'd invariably go up pretty well - and boy, did that smoke stink!!

Sooo, we'd head off a ways & spend the day working on one of the back blocks, grubbing thistles or stumps, fixing fences, or some other essential & exciting task. We could keep an eye on how things were progressing back home by watching how thick the plumes of smoke from the burning holes were, & once they started to turn white & whispy, it was safe to head on back!! On our way back, we always had to stop at the fire dam & fill up a tank on skids kept there specifically for the purpose, cos when we dragged that back, we'd be faced with the task of dumping some of the water into each of the holes (to make sure the fires were out & hopefully cool things down a bit) before harnessing up a horse or two for the return of the outhouses!! It was a sure sign you knew how to handle a draught horse when you could re-position the outhouses in one go!!

Once back in place, they were ready for the next month's deposits, but the first visitor to each was always a bit nervous. Occasionally (well, not all that often, but certainly once that I can vividly & personally remember well; altho my Parents often told hilarious stories of various other 'incidents') the fire wouldn't burn down far enough &/or a pocket of gas would be encased in a 'crusty bit', so that when the first new 'deposit' hit the top of the remains, it could break thru the top crust and a small explosion would result!! Nothing to do much harm, but sure as heck, no-one would sit near you for a few days... not that you wanted to sit all that much, cos certain parts were just a little tender!!

Then there's the time we played a joke that 'back-fired' on one of the old & pretty near blind hands by dumping some 'well used & ripely off' rabbit guts in the very spot that he always relieved himself at as we left the home paddock.... errr no, maybe another time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Mom made us dress up when we went to see relatives. Then we couldn't go out and play. We had to sit in chairs and keep quiet. We didn't even dream of moving or making any noise. My wardrobe today all blue jeans, motorcycle t-shirts and boots.

Spyder Garage

Default ringer

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    How long did it take for your hands to dry?

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Hi Peter,

Re: Given that a fair few of us here are . . .

Just grumpy old people.

Re: things we dont do anymore

Great story about rejuvenating the outhouses. My grandmother had an outhouse for many years. However, it never got rejuvenated, all my uncles & my dad converted her house to indoor plumbing and that ended those cold walks.

Personally, I'm glad that we don't do a lot of those things anymore. I remember when margarine could only be bought in white & you had to knead the coloring in.

Time to join the 21st century, folks.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Or wish still could

Go to neighborhood grocery store for penny candy

At the lake catch a frog and put a firecracker in its mouth light it and watch the the show

Go to grandma and grampas on Sunday, Oh I guess we are Grandpa and Grandma now

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

Put a cracker in a frog's mouth?!? You've got your frogs the wrong way round!!

Stick a cracker up their arse & it'd really make a mess?!?
    What's that you say about 'rectum'??

Rect-um!! Damn near Killed them!!

Sorry, but I hadta do it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    So much to remember...the butter we still have on the table. Remember having to turn on and off change channels and adjust your TV at the set...dial your phone and speak on it where it was, tethered to the cable...getting cleaned up and dressed up to go to the movies...and oh so much more...

https://youtu.be/puGQsQux80k
    Yes
    I remember all of them
    Wouldnt be great if we could have all the good things from back them and all the lugsury of today
    Those were the days my friend we thought they'ed never end *** and so on
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Dialing a number on a rotory telephone.

Being the original remote control and rabbit ear antenna adjuster for the TV so Dad didnt have to get out of his chair. Of course we only had 4 channels.

Having your mouth washed out with soap

Getting a spanking for acting up and not having the police come to arrest your parents for child abuse.
    Bryan

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

trick or treating without worry of poison or razor blades & shaving creaming each others instead of shooting each other