Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bank tracks my credit card history and denies the purchase if out of line with my buying history. Over the years, my card has been shutdown several times and has been spot on with each denial. I receive a phone call alert when this happens.
    Other things that I have done are lowering my credit and cash advance limits. I also have a card for at home/in town and another for traveling/out of town.
    If your card has fraudulent activity and you receive an alert, you can many times go online and see where it has been used or the attempted use. The last time I was able to go right to the individual who tried to use it. They were shocked to find out that I was able to track them down. Priceless.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Same in the UK.The crooks are now looking for wallets in back pockets and carry a card reader that will bill that card or take it's details. eBay are already selling metallic card protection sleeves!

I had what was called a "drivers licence plus" here in Quebec. It contained passport info & I could cross into the USA from Canada & back again by land with just showing this drivers licence. It came with a card protection sleeve.
    I now use these sleeves on my credit cards to hopefully foil the card reader crooks.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

The danger of scanning the paywave chip while in your pocket is overhyped. So let's say you are a criminal and invest in the money for a scanner and start scanning people for their cards. First problem is many people have more than one card and they keep them together (wallet). So the response to the scanner will be all the cards at once. The data will be mixed from multiple cards and not useable. If the criminal does get clean data from one card. Yes that data will be valid. But only once for a instore paywave payment and only for a short time. That's because the codes roll with every scan and the the same code is never accepted twice. So in Canada that would be $100 max. The data is encrypted so there no way that data can be used for an online purchase or to make a fake complete card.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Same in the UK.The crooks are now looking for wallets in back pockets and carry a card reader that will bill that card or take it's details. eBay are already selling metallic card protection sleeves!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's an interesting article from a couple years ago that will provide some insight why the US hasn't gone fully to chip and pin. http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...ology-1276.php

In short, the PIN provides real protection only if you lose your card. The chip itself makes counterfeiting nigh impossible. Capturing transaction data from a single purchase also does not enable counterfeiting. The US has multiple times the number of card issuers and card processors than do other countries. Making a major change in the CC system in the US is a gargantuan task. Americans typically carry more cards than do other world citizens so there would be a big push back by consumers if they had to remember 5, 6, or more PINS.

Keep in mind the CC business is a huge money making business, and changes cost money, money banks are loathe to give up. The CC industry has fought moving to chip cards tooth and nail. Money buys Congressmen and Senators. So not moving to chip and PIN is not a typical "half assed" Government approach problem, it's a money problem. And as you know, money talks.
    That's true the pin only protects for lost or stolen cards. Since most people carry their cards with them most the time. The PIN number would make your cards one less thing of value that can make you a target for a thief.

There is no need to remember to a different PIN number for every card you carry. Since you can make the PIN whatever you want, whenever you want. You can just make them all the same. If that would make it easier for you.

For those folks coming to Canada for a visit on your Spyders. Most pay at pump, gas pumps are chip and pin. So if you want that convenience. See you financial institution about activating the PIN feature on you card.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

We finally got a new card with a chip for the last one. For some retailers it's cheaper to pay a fine. Was told a new chip reader is $2,000. Had one hacked last year while on vacation. It sucks! Hope you get it resolved with the minimum of hassles. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I received a notice that my Exchange account was unsuccessfully hacked. For you non-mil types, that is the base exchange on line account. Even though they couldn't figure out the password, I changed it anyway.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it covered. Wish our govt had the same luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Disagree on Lifelock

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    In my opinion LIFELOCK is a ripoff. Credit Karma (.com) is free and solves the problem. (you also get your FICO score every month) Regulation Z protects you from all charges except $50, which so far no company has charged you.

One good thing with a hack, is that you get a 7 year fraud alert on all of your credit. This totally stops anyone from making changes or opening anything in your name. You might have to insist that they implement this.

One last thing most credit cards have the ability where you can set alerts. Am Ex you can set an alert anytime your card is used without the card being present. Chase has anytime your card is used over an amount you set. They send a text and an email.

NEVER use your debit card anywhere but a ATM. Reg Z doesn't cover your debit card!!!! So far most banks will refund losses but legally they don't have to.
    Lifelock has caught and gotten cancelled TWO accounts opened without our authorization in the last two years (one of me and one for my husband). We are notified ANYTIME a new account of ANY kind (credit, utility, phone, etc.) is opened in one of our names and then asked if it was us. If we answer YES, then Lifelock does nothing. Answer NO and they pull out all the stops to get the account closed, notify the creditor, and see to it that no charges are forthcoming against any of our legitimate accounts. Now, of course they will not "see" the account open if the entity isn't "in" their network of things they monitor. Good news is that most of the national "brands" and creditors are in their network -- so there is a lot that they will see before you do. In my book, it is money well spent.

Just my opinion .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default We have

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Your financial institution should cover your full loss, but there may be some haggling.

By the way have you folks in the US finally joined the rest of the world and gone to Chip and Pin credit cards. That from what I have read will reduce credit card fraud by 80 to 90% over magnetic strip.
    Our ATM and one credit card have the chips. Unfortunately, not all retailers have the chip ready readers, so you most often end up doing the old slide.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Ann, you are right in what Lifelock does, but I think that you pay $10 a month and Credit Karma, does the same thing for Free. CK even gives you a monthly update on your FICO score, which is what many charges/interest rates/insurance rates are based on. So its good to know that number. CK monitors the 3 credit reporting companies where everything goes to/though. LifeLock is either being bought by a large corp or has already been bought. The guy that started LL has been sued a number of times for false advertising. CK has a paid service but I haven't paid attention to what you get extra, as the free part does what I need.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.