Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Transporting Spyder by pickup

Other than the Rampage lift, does anyone know of any other to safely transport the spyder in the back of a pickup?
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the members in here actually built their own lift, for getting their bike on and off their truck.

Personally; I'd rather not see them transported like that...
    It's a lot of weight, and it's put pretty high up in the air. This has to seriously affect the stability of ANY truck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is there a low hauler made for them?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    Is there a low hauler made for them?

The only one I know of is by Kendon:

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/tr...cycle-trailer/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT A LIFT - BUT

I do transport my 2014 Rt around the country on the back of my 2003 Toyt Tacoma 2wd pick-up ..... I just use ramps to drive it up and in ( I made a camper/box ) .........Took some pics at the Rally in NC in October......Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone who has replied....

The reason I ask is that I am contemplating building a teardrop trailer to pull behind a pickup. I was wanting to take the spyder with me when I use the teardrop trailer. I was looking at the Rampage and was wondering if there was something similar. Yes, I know I can purchase a toy hauler, but wow are they over priced.

I may have to look at a 7 ft wide enclosed cargo trailer that can be modified/converted into a smaller version of a toy hauler/camper.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spyder Garage

Thanks Blueknight.....

Are the photos here on Spyderlovers? I may have to pick your brain on the do's and don'ts because this sounds just like what I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I do transport my 2014 Rt around the country on the back of my 2003 Toyt Tacoma 2wd pick-up ..... I just use ramps to drive it up and in ( I made a camper/box ) .........Took some pics at the Rally in NC in October......Mike
    Johnny

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

Re: my 2003 Toyt Tacoma 2wd pick-up

I have the same p/u; how about some photos?

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default THE - WHO TOOK THE PICS

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    Thanks Blueknight.....

Are the photos here on Spyderlovers? I may have to pick your brain on the do's and don'ts because this sounds just like what I want to do.
    I'm terrible with names ...... It was a member " Bam Bam " of BamBam & Pebbles fame......... He posted them on Spyderlovers , I'll see if I can find them, although it won't show you much. I bought the trk cheap, re-moved and sold the bed ( got good money because it was rust free ). I then welded up a simple but sturdy frame over the OEM frame. I made it 68" X 86" +/- covered that with 1/2" plywood, then made a steel frame 6 1/2ft tall with a sloped overhang over the cab, which I covered in 26 ga. galv. sheet metal ( pop riveted on ).....It also doubles as a camper, I don't I have more than $ 500.00 in it ( minus the trk. ). Not gorgeous , those who have seen it can attest to that,(Mowin, Rnet, Bob D., Murphy B., Arntufun, etc. ) but it's functional and that's all I wanted .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting.....do you remember the brand name of the ramps or did you weld them yourself? I can't weld, but I know few people who do.

I'm terrible with names ...... It was a member " Bam Bam " of BamBam & Pebbles fame......... He posted them on Spyderlovers , I'll see if I can find them, although it won't show you much. I bought the trk cheap, re-moved and sold the bed ( got good money because it was rust free ). I then welded up a simple but sturdy frame over the OEM frame. I made it 68" X 86" +/- covered that with 1/2" plywood, then made a steel frame 6 1/2ft tall with a sloped overhang over the cab, which I covered in 26 ga. galv. sheet metal ( pop riveted on ).....It also doubles as a camper, I don't I have more than $ 500.00 in it ( minus the trk. ). Not gorgeous , those who have seen it can attest to that,(Mowin, Rnet, Bob D., Murphy B., Arntufun, etc. ) but it's functional and that's all I wanted .... Mike
    Johnny

Spyder Garage

Default RAMPS

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    Interesting.....do you remember the brand name of the ramps or did you weld them yourself? I can't weld, but I know few people who do.
    .... Johnny you know what this answer is .............. of course I made them( alumin.)..... and the center one has piece of sheet metal with about 1000 dimples I made with a large nail then reversed it and attached it to the ramp ..... 26" rise x 10 ft. and the RT never slips even in the pouring rain, in fact I have stopped , gotten off to check the rear tire position, gotten back on kept driving up it ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    The only one I know of is by Kendon:

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/tr...cycle-trailer/
    I did not know Kendon made a fold up for a trike. I have a single rail Kendon I am looking to sell with a spare used it 3 times like new. Bought it last year. Thanks for info!

Spyder Garage

Sled Deck.....

http://www.toyupindustries.com/aboutus.html

Very popular with snowmobilers
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You will have no issues with your 900 pound bike on even a half ton pick-up. Load it at your local MC/Spyder dealer on their ramp, and unload the same way.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a link to the photo Mike is talking about, and he is correct, it doesnt show a whole lot. Mainly trying to show Mike in his luxurious digs.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=138723&d=1476076313
    Last edited by Bam Bam and Pebbles; 12-13-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One of the members in here actually built their own lift, for getting their bike on and off their truck. [emoji106]

Personally; I'd rather not see them transported like that...
    It's a lot of weight, and it's put pretty high up in the air. This has to seriously affect the stability of ANY truck!
    Harleys and other bikes have been transported that way successfully for decades...and they generally weigh more than a Spyder does...so long as weight is distributed properly and the load is secured...its perfectly safe. Most pickups are rated to handle the weight...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pdepalma View Post
    Harleys and other bikes have been transported that way successfully for decades...and they generally weigh more than a Spyder does...so long as weight is distributed properly and the load is secured...its perfectly safe. Most pickups are rated to handle the weight...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    The weight, per se, isn't the issue. It's the fact that because of the Spyder's width it will have to be on a platform above the sides of the pickup. That puts it close to 2 feet above the bed floor. That is bound to have some affect on handling in corners. It may not be heavy enough high enough to be unsafe, but it will have an impact, especially if the pickup is a 1/2 ton two wheel drive. With a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive you may not notice it much.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The weight, per se, isn't the issue. It's the fact that because of the Spyder's width it will have to be on a platform above the sides of the pickup. That puts it close to 2 feet above the bed floor. That is bound to have some affect on handling in corners. It may not be heavy enough high enough to be unsafe, but it will have an impact, especially if the pickup is a 1/2 ton two wheel drive. With a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive you may not notice it much.
    Ned.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the photo....

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have a link to the photo Mike is talking about, and he is correct, it doesnt show a whole lot. Mainly trying to show Mike in his luxorious digs.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=138723&d=1476076313
    Johnny

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    is it fair to say that a short bed super crew F150 is not going to cut it but a long box f150 will? On a short bed I would assume to much weight past the rear wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default SIZE OF PK-UP BED

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    is it fair to say that a short bed super crew F150 is not going to cut it but a long box f150 will? On a short bed I would assume to much weight past the rear wheels.

Marty, the length is moot ........ the width of the Spyder and the wheel wells of the truck are going to be the biggest issue first .... jmho ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not so sure...
    I wonder if carrying that much weight, THAT high in the air; is made more interesting, when you place even more of it behind the rear axle?

...just sayin'...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

For a standard full size pick-up the rear wheel wells are 48 inches apart (4 ft.), driving a Spyder into the bed will not work, you would have the back it up a ramp to load it.
    I see ads all the time in motorcycle magazines for ramps that cover the width of the tailgate. Usually made of aluminum and in 3 pieces that hook together to make a solid ramp. The ramp looks like 3 ladders side by side, traction should not be a problem. I hope this may help.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default LADDER RAMPS

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    For a standard full size pick-up the rear wheel wells are 48 inches apart (4 ft.), driving a Spyder into the bed will not work, you would have the back it up a ramp to load it.
    I see ads all the time in motorcycle magazines for ramps that cover the width of the tailgate. Usually made of aluminum and in 3 pieces that hook together to make a solid ramp. The ramp looks like 3 ladders side by side, traction should not be a problem. I hope this may help.
    Those LADDER ramps are not a problem for 4wd ATV's ...... but a one wd Spyder going backwards !!!!! ....not going to happen ....jmho......Mike

Spyder Garage

Those LADDER ramps are not a problem for 4wd ATV's ...... but a one wd Spyder going backwards !!!!! ....not going to happen ....jmho......Mike
    It depends. If you back the truck up to a small hill to level the ramps, or use a motorcycle ramp at a dealer, it should be no problem.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)